1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered. (It's free!)

2017 - MFA Applicants

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by IndecisiveElle, Sep 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. IndecisiveElle

IndecisiveElle Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Well here we go again.
    Being here for a second year, it feels appropriate to kick off this year's application thread.

I have to say, I jumped into my applications last year pretty half cocked and I'm excited to be much more active in the process this go around. I'm keeping really busy by studying for my GRE to take it at the end of September.
    Anyone taking the GRE?

You can see where I'm applying and how things went for my for 2016's attempt in my signature. I have to say I learned a ton and I'm not discouraged in the slightest by how things turned out!

I did a TV workshop at Columbia that was amazing and incredibly rewarding. Both in terms of the work I was able to accomplish and some really valuable friendships and partnerships I established. I even added UCLA to my list this year in hopes of getting into a program with someone I met at Columbia.

How did everyone else spend their summers getting ready for their application season?

• Like Like x 2
  2. dvxdm

dvxdm Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Hey Elle! I'm preparing to apply to Film Directing MFA programs, and your enthusiasm is really encouraging. I wish you all the best this time around.
    I actually took the GRE back in 2014, when I was applying to some non-film programs, but I plan to use my scores again. Good luck!
    I spent the summer mostly planning/writing the short film I'm submitting for my video portfolio, and drafting a personal statement. In the process of editing now, hoping it turns out good.
    Any particular reason for applying to two different UT Austin programs?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris W

Chris W FilmSchool.org Owner Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +257
    The Michener Center program is a program for "regular" writers or novelists, correct? That's what it seems like when I look it up. I guess writing is writing and storytelling is storytelling. Each program should help nurture those skills.

Haven't decided for sure which path you want to take yet @IndecisiveElle ?

4. Kira

Kira Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I took the GRE for UT Austin in June. I'm so glad that you weren't discouraged; you seem to have more gusto than ever. I'll be applying to USC, UCLA, UT Austin, BU, LMU, NFTS, and LFS for a MFA in Screenwriting.

This past summer, I've polished a spec script (for fun) and started working on an original pilot (along with starting essays). I was supposed to take a "Writing the TV Pilot" course at my uni, but not enough students signed up so it was cancelled :/

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris W

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +257
    That stinks! :( Maybe next time bribe to prof for some part time tutoring on the side. :)

6. HernanGiaggio

HernanGiaggio New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The Michener Center admits 1-2 screenwriters a year. As far as I can tell, it has the best funding available for screenwriters (maybe even all writers -- someone correct me if I'm wrong).

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Paul J.

Paul J. Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +199
    @IndecisiveElle - not applying for USC's writing dept? The writers I've met and have just started are all in wonderland right about now, so I'm guessing the program is pretty decent :) I wish you all the best Elle. I am rooting for you!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Kira

Kira Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +198
    That's a good idea! :p

I was going to apply to UT Austin's Michener program, but I don't have enough time to write a film this time around.

9. Chris W

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I added Northwestern's Screenwriting program to the Film School Review section:

http://www.filmschool.org/filmschools/northwestern-mfa-writing-for-the-screen-and-stage-fall.134/

I think I've finally added most of the film school programs although I may have missed some... if there are some more please let me know. Any user can add film school programs to the review database as well if you want to.

Also for all of you re-applicants who applied in 2016... it's possibly to review a film school "as an applicant" so if you could post a short review from your application experience to a certain school it would be awesome and EXTREMELY helpful to current year applicants. Reviews can be anonymous.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chris W

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I made a WIKI for all of the upcoming application deadlines:

Film School MFA Application Deadlines WIKI

If I missed any please let me know and/or edit the document. :)

I hope it's helpful!

USC & UCLA are the first up with November 1st. :) That'll be here soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. dvxdm

dvxdm Member

Ratings:
    +42
    And so it begins...

• Like Like x 2
  12. Chris W

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +257
    How'd your portfolio shoot go?

13. HernanGiaggio

HernanGiaggio New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm 99% you can submit a pilot even if they haven't updated the application to say so. Just call them. They're nice.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dvxdm

dvxdm Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Grueling but lots of fun. Thanks for asking!

15. Kira

Kira Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Wow, thank you so much for the heads up! I really appreciate it :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. screenqueen

screenqueen New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey, just to add another option, Ohio University has a pretty phenomenal MFA program. I'm currently a 1st year here, and if you want to make (write, direct, etc) films, you need to be at OU. And the financial assistance doesn't hurt, either.

I'm not an official rep, but when I was applying, I wish I'd had some more info on programs outside of NY and LA.

If you have any questions, please don't be afraid to ask!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jonny

Jonny New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I just had to reply to this. I'm currently a USC Spring 2017 applicant and I grew up in Athens...I am flabbergasted to hear they have such a good program. Maybe if I'm denied I'll go back to my roots!

18. Jonny

Jonny New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    So, I applied to the Directing MFA USC program for Spring 2017. I had an interview this morning! I can at least take that as a positive sign that I'm being considered. Also, scanning through stories my interview lasted a half hour and our conversation was great! I have a good feeling, but haven't been able to tell from past stories if many people get interviewed and then denied...anyone have experience with this or thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Chris W

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Congrats on the interview! Good luck!

20. Mister K

Mister K Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Attending LFS from January. MA Filmmaking. :)

• Congratulations! Congratulations! x 2
    • Like Like x 1