1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered. (It's free!)

Help with college choices please

Discussion in 'Undergraduate Film School Discussions' started by film2021, Dec 23, 2016.

1. film2021

film2021 New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    My son has been accepted into the BFA or BA/BS film programs for film production (directing) at the following schools:

Pratt
    DePaul University
    Ithaca College
    SCAD
    Columbia College Chicago

He was deferred from Early Action to Regular Admission at:
    Emerson (this was always his top pick)
    Loyola Marymount University
    UNCSA

We would love to hear any opinions on the above schools, especially at the schools he is already accepted at. I think DePaul is probably what he is thinking might be his first choice out of the accepted schools, but we haven't even visited SCAD or Pratt yet and we haven't seen DePaul's film program, just did a general tour. Please chime in on any advice, or anything you know about the programs at the above schools. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Iuli Dia

Iuli Dia Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +25
    I went to UNCSA for undergrad and it is a great school. It's a conservatory for the arts so very immersive. At the end of the first 2 years you get divided into 5 disciplines, based on your choice and whether you get into that discipline or not. Directing, producing, cinematography, editing, production design (you have to pick the last by your first year) You get to make a lot of shorts and crew a lot (production assistant, art department, camera PA, best boy/girl electric etc etc, you learn a lot of skills). All sets are run professionally, industry standard. The shorts are green-lit like a studio system, so you have to pitch. Anyone can pitch a short from any discipline and you get a budget from the school, which is rare, most schools make you pay for the film. You also get to watch a ton of films, make connections with other talented filmmakers, not to mention UNCSA has other art schools: drama (go see their plays! they are among the best in the country!), film score, dance, music, so lots of connections and collaborations to be made. The school is decently connected to the industry so they will help you out when you graduate and with internships throughout your time there.

The cons would be if your film does not get green-lit or if you don't get into the desired discipline, but that's just life and if anything it will prepare your son for the real world. The industry is tough and you get a lot of no's before you get the one yes. At UNCSA, you can still make films on your own with your fellow students, it might just be a little harder. You can also easily do too much, crewing on too many films, so time management and prioritizing is def something you have to learn at UNCSA and it will serve you well. Another con I've heard of is that they don't focus as much on film theory, like NYU for example. General consensus is that schools like NYU produce more critically acclaimed directors. But then again, Jeff Nichols came from our school, so it's really what you make of your experience that will determine your career.

All in all a great school with a ton of opportunities and learning experiences. You just have to take advantage of it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Both of my siblings went to Columbia College Chicago (one for film) and so I know a little about the school. Not sure how much I can help though because the sibling who went for film dropped out, but he was never really one for school so I wouldn't blame that on their program. I've heard great things about their film program and that it's highly regarded. I've heard that there are many people in LA that graduated from CCC. What's great is that it's in the heart of Chicago so you get a great city life experience. This also means no centralized campus however. Although it's not an art school (which is what I always thought), it's a liberal arts college with a concentration in the arts and media so everyone around you is going to be creative and talented. They do have a very low graduation rate and, in my opinion, it's probably most likely because you don't really need a degree for a lot of majors in the arts and also CCC accepts almost 100% of applicants so there are probably a lot of kids who were never into traditional school so people end up dropping out. In terms of my sibling, he never really liked school and so when he got to his gen-eds, he had a really hard time.

I'm looking to apply there as well and so I've been looking at their majors. I'm not sure how many other schools (like the ones on his list) have this as well, (I haven't seen it at any of the other schools I'm looking at) but what I find really cool is that they have very specific majors for cinema or TV. I think the Cinema major has maybe 7 concentrations? It's very specialized so that could be good for job searches(i.e. sound, visual effects, cinematography, directing). And they have a separate major for television studies, whereas most places I've seen only have one major that combined film and television. One major I saw that intrigued me was called something like Television and Entrepreneurship which essentially teaches you how to be a TV producer. So this could be good if your son has a good idea of what he wants to study.

I'd love to know which school he ends up choosing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. film2021

film2021 New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for all your help and information!

Right now he is leaning towards DePaul University, but will switch to Emerson, LMU or UNCSA if he gets accepted during their regular admission round. Anyone know anything about the film program at DePaul?

• Like Like x 1