You don’t have to be a current student or an alum to write a review for a film school! Whether you’re an applicant, interested student, faculty member, current student, or alum, we want to hear from you.
Are you currently wondering, “Which film schools should I apply to?” One of the most helpful resources in the decision-making process for film school is other students’ and applicants’ reviews of schools. That’s why FilmSchool.org offers all members the opportunity to write a review of any film school in our database.
Our goal is to offer the most constructive and accessible film school rankings out there so that we can help those who are interested in or planning to apply to film school. In order to do this, we need your reviews and rankings!
|FOR A LIMITED TIME GET A FREE FILMSCHOOL.ORG T-SHIRT OR COFFEE MUG when you write a constructive review with Pros/Cons to each film program that you are applying to, the film program you went to for undergrad, or the film program that you are attending now. Send me a PM after you write the review(s).|
Reviews can be anonymous and you don't need to be attending a school to write a review. We need more reviews to improve the site's Film School Rankings. Thank you!
How do you write a review on FilmSchool.org?
- Click “reviews” on the site’s upper black tab. You will be prompted to a new page. (On mobile click the ☰ icon for the off screen navigation)
- On the left-hand side of the page, select “Graduate”, “Undergraduate”, or “Summer and Short Term” depending on the type of deg\ree you’re seeking. (On mobile click the ☰ categories icon for the off screen navigation)
- Click the state or country that the school is located in. You will be prompted to a new page.
- Scroll through the page to find the school that you want to review and select the school. You will be prompted to a new page. In the event that your film school is not listed, it's very easy to add it to the database! Just follow steps 1-3, and click the green tab that says "Add Film School" at the top of the page.
- Click “Write a review” if you already are a member. Click “Register to Review this Film School” if you aren’t a member (the most basic membership is free!)
- Write your review. (Don't want your name associated with the review? All reviews have the option of being anonymous.)
All film school reviews require an overall rating of the film school, your status (applicant, current student, faculty, etc.), and a brief written review (minimum 140 characters). You can also upload photos that you took of the facilities or campus with the review.
You also have the option of listing up to 10 pros and 10 cons about the school, which is an excellent way for you to organize your thoughts and help you in the process of choosing which film school to apply to! For a better idea of what a pros and cons list can consist of, here are some examples of previous reviewers' pros and cons for USC Cinematic Arts - Film & Television Production (MFA):
- "Really strong alumni network."
- "Students are among the most motivated and productive."
- "Editing facilities are top-notch."
- "Even the campus is breathtaking, which means you got a ton of shooting spots!"
- "Surrounded by faculty who currently work in Hollywood."
- "Tuition fee: ~40k/annum ( total cost for 3 years might extend up to 200k because of self-funded films)."
- "Students are selected by less tangible standards than necessarily the commercial quality of their work, their resume or their film literacy. The gap in initial competency among students can cause some friction."
- "Since films are thought of mainly as a form of practice, not enough time or emphasis is given for the preproduction phase."
- "Sound and Production Design are disciplines that get little emphasis."
- "Self-funded films except for 546 course (top 10 students of 60). Thesis is also self-funded.
What should I write about if I'm not a current student or an alum?
Even if you haven't attended the school, there's a lot that you can review if you're just an applicant or are interested in a film school! For example, there is ample information you can take from touring the campus or even researching the school online. Whether you tour or merely visit the campus, we encourage you to share all the pictures you take (all reviews include the option to add photos). Consider the following topics:
- From your perspective, how affordable is the program/institution?
- Scholarship opportunities
- Does the institution offer any scholarships? Are they accessible?
- Have you visited the campus? Write about it! Feel free to add any photos or videos you took during the tour to your review!
- Have you had the chance to tour the university? What did you learn from the tour? How was the tour itself? Please feel free to include pictures!
- Application process
- How was your application process? Have you interviewed? What was the interview like?
- Have you had the chance to tour or see the film school facilities? What are they like? Does it seem like quality equipment is available?
- Feel free to review a school based entirely or partially on your research.
FilmSchool.org's mission is to help others in their application process for film schools. The more film school reviews and rankings we receive, the more effective our website becomes. Writing a film school review will help you and other film school applicants in their research. If you're a current applicant or an interested student, writing a review is a great way for you to organize your thoughts about a film school that you’re considering. For those of you who are current students, alum, or faculty, writing a film school review is another way for you to engage with the FilmSchool.org community and help aspiring filmmakers realize their goals.
With your help, FilmSchool.org will offer the most informative and helpful film school rankings. We look forward to reading your review!
When reviewing a film school, please base your ratings off of the following rubric: (Rubric is also attached as a printable pdf for you to bring on visits, etc)
|Overall Rating||I had an overwhelmingly positive experience at or with this film school. All aspects of the school met or exceeded my expectations.||I had a mostly positive experience at or with this film school. Most aspects met or exceeded my expectations, and very few were below my expectations.||I had an equal amount of positive and negative experiences at or with this film school. Or all aspects of this film school were average; there was nothing outstanding about this film school.||Most of my experience at or with this film school was negative, but it had some average and/or positive qualities.||My overall experience at or with this film school was irredeemable. All aspects of the school were poor.|
|This is a great deal! For the quality of the school, the price is exceptionally reasonable.||This film school has a decent price for what it offers.||This film school's price is high, but some aspects of the school make the price reasonable.||This film school's price is too high for what it offers.||This film school's price is outrageously high for what it offers.|
|Alumni Network||The film school has an incredible alumni network that has helped me progress as a filmmaker after graduation/advance my career.||The film school makes an effort to foster an alumni network and I feel like there is a real sense of community amongst fellow alumni after graduation. This has potentially helped me in my career, or I could foresee it helping me in my career.||There is some opportunity to connect with alumni and foster a sense of community after graduation, although there could be more.||There is little opportunity to connect with alumni and a fleeting sense of community after graduation. Some alumni networking may occur, but it is few and far between.||There is essentially no opportunity to connect with other alumni and zero sense of community after graduation.|
|The film school's campus (classrooms, dorms, buildings, greenspace, location) is beautiful, comfortable, in an excellent location, clean, etc.||The film school's campus (classrooms, dorms, buildings, greenspace, location) is really appealing, and has mostly nice qualities.||The film school's campus (classrooms, dorms, buildings, greenspace, location) could be better, but has some nice qualities.||The film school's campus (classrooms, dorms, buildings, greenspace, location) isn't very appealing.||The film school's campus (classrooms, dorms, buildings, greenspace, location) is ugly, dirty, unsafe, outdated, uncomfortable, etc.|
|This film school offers exceptional career assistance that I'm confident will help me after graduation.||This film school offers really good career assistance that will likely help me after graduation.||This film school offers some career assistance but could offer more.||This film school offers very little career assistance.||This film school offers zero career assistance.|
|The coursework at this film school was outstanding. I learned more than I could have imagined and now feel confident as a filmmaker.||Most of the coursework at this film school was very constructive and I feel as though I grew as a filmmaker because of it.||Some of the coursework at this film school was constructive and I feel like I grew and learned from it, but it could have been better.||Most of the coursework at this film school was unconstructive and very little of it taught me more about what I was studying.||The coursework at this film school was unconstructive and didn't teach me anything about what I was studying.|
|Facilities||The facilities at this film school are top-of-the-line, excellent quality, and accessible to all students. They have given me the opportunity to excel in my coursework and as a filmmaker.||The facilities at this film school are updated, good quality, and easy to access. I'm able to successfully complete my work with them, do well in my coursework, and develop as a filmmaker.||Although some aspects of the facilities at this film school may be outdated or low quality, they are mostly are acceptable. I'm able to successfully complete my work with them.||The facilities at this film school are mostly outdated, poor quality, and/or limited. It is difficult to complete my coursework and/or progress as a filmmaker with these facilities.||The facilities at this film school are outdated, poor quality, or non-existent altogether. I cannot successfully complete my coursework and/or progress as a filmmaker with these facilities.|
|The professors at this film school are top-notch: exceptionally qualified and constructive. Not only have I learned from them, I greatly credit them for feeling confident in my filmmaking abilties.||The professors at this film school are very qualified and effective teachers. I've learned a lot from them and have developed as a filmmaker thanks to them.||The professors at this film school are obviously qualified, although some may be more productive and effective teachers than others. I've learned from the faculty at this institution, but could learn more.||Most of the professors at this film school are unqualified. I have had a difficult time learning from faculty at this institution.||The professors at this film school are unqualified and unproductive teachers. I have learned nothing from the faculty at this institution.|
|Scholarships||There are plenty of scholarships available at this institution and/or for this program. It seems as though the institution makes an effort to make film school for future students a reality.||There are many scholarships available at this institution and/or for this program. Many of the scholarships amount to a significant sum and seem/are attainable.||There are some scholarships available at this institution and/or for this program. Some scholarships amount to a significant sum and are reasonably attainable.||There are very few scholarships offered at this institution and/or for this program. The scholarships offered are difficult to obtain and/or amount to very little.||There are no scholarships offered at this institution and/or for this program.|
Please use this downloadable PDF as well for visits etc...
The site needs your reviews! The more reviews... the better rankings... the better rankings and reviews... more visibility for the site in Google... more visibility... more members to help you guys out!
Thanks! Please let me know if you have any questions.