AFDA Johannesburg alumni, Tristan Holmes, began his career in front of the camera at the tender age of 12. After six years as a television presenter, he enrolled at AFDA Johannesburg where he graduated top of his class with a BA honours in Motion Picture Medium. His films made during this time were widely applauded garnering awards all across the world. “Elalini”, his post graduate short won amongst others a Student Academy Award for Best Foreign Language film in 2006.
In 2008 Tristan completed a six-part drama series for MNET called “Innocent Times” before embarking on a career in music video production. It did not take long for Tristan to establish himself as one of the best music video directors in South Africa winning several awards and many nominations for work done for Evermore, Asa, Winterstasie, Locnville and The Frown.
For the last few years Tristan has focused on applying his craft to commercials. Once again success has not be hard to come by. Through his own boutique production house The Star Film Co. he has made powerful brand commercials for the likes of Visa, Coca Cola, Tusker, Vodacom, Legit, ANC and SAB. With a distinctive visual style, passionate intensity, relentlessness and unrivaled dedication Tristan has risen to the top of the commercial stable in South Africa at the tender age of 32.
Now turning his eye to films Tristan hopes to apply the same passion and sensitivity to a personal story loosely based on his own upbringing, “The Hidden Garden”.
Tristan’s Company Profile:
Star Films, founded in 2003, operates with our primary focus being based on the
visual medium of film and commercial production. The company is managed and
co-owned by 2 AFDA alumni, Adam Thal and Tristan Holmes.
Star Films is a youthful company that is at the forefront of the industry. As
Executive Producer, Adam Thal manages the day to day running of the company
and representing some of the hottest commercial directors on the market.
Tristan Holmes, Student Oscar Winner and winner of multiple advertising and craft
awards, takes the reigns as Creative Director.
We have distinguished ourselves through our own brand of integrity and
innovative thinking to find feasible application in our productions. We believe in
focus and when we tackle a project we do it with excellence.
Star Films’ clientele is made up of mainly advertising agencies around the world,
through which we have done amazing work for blue chip companies such as
Diagio, Coca Cola, Visa, Absa Bank, South African Breweries, McDonalds, Vodacom
and many more.
With over 12 years of industry experience, and an amazing work ethic, Star is now
considered one of the leaders in the production industry of Southern Africa.
See more here:
The Star Film Company
AFDA offers students studying abroad a unique, affordable and educational opportunity to discover Southern Africa and its diverse population, world renowned heritage sites, cosmopolitan cities and specialist higher education. AFDA International students currently comprise 10 – 20% of the total student population and enjoy the benefits of malaria-free campus locations in terms of world-class facilities, Southern Africa’s natural beauty and wildlife, favourable exchange rates as well as our historical reflections. AFDA campuses are located in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth and Botswana.
Regarding the above picture:
10 Good reasons to study at the Cape Town campus:
Please feel free to visit www.afda.co.za for more information.
- AFDA Cape Town is situated in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. [Voted by NY Times as the Number 7 destination to visit]
- Cape Town offers an incredible lifestyle with its beaches, mountains, nature reserves, golf courses, trails and first world infrastructure. [3 world heritage sites]
- Cape Town has a strong art, design, music and fashion scene. [Design capital of the world 2014]
- Cape Town is a preferred international destination for feature film, television series and commercial production. [Safe House, Dominion, Homeland, Judge Dredd and others]
- AFDA Cape Town graduates have contributed significantly to the growth of local feature films & commercials [Windpomp, Pad Na Jou Hart, Hollywood in my Huis]
- AFDA Cape Town has a diverse student body. Up to 20% of the student body is made up of international students.
- Excellent value for money - The South African exchange rate favors most international students.
- AFDA Cape Town has some of the top lecturers in the country and utilizes the exact curriculum and learning systems that has proved to be highly successful at its JHB campus.
- AFDA Cape Town facilities and equipment have year for year parity with Johannesburg campus.
- People create industries - Industries do not create people.
Thank you for reading.