- School Website
Is a GRE required for admission? No
Is the SAT or ACT required for admission? No
Is a portfolio required for admission? Yes
How many Letters of Reference are required? 0
Program OverviewWhen you complete our mentor-based MFA program, you will not only have a professional-level product in your chosen genre but will be prepared to apply your skills to your future creative projects.
Our low-residency, four-semester MFA program combines the flexibility of online learning with in-person faculty and student collaboration. Each semester begins with a week-long residency in our picturesque Santa Barbara setting. During the residency, students work actively with faculty mentors against a beautiful Pacific backdrop as they develop ideas, receive feedback on their work, and shape creative projects that meet their professional goals. After each residency, the semester continues online as students balance intensive study in the art and craft of storytelling with practical instruction on how to improve, market, and present their work.
AUSB MFA students can work in TV/screenwriting, playwriting, or emerging and new media. If a student wishes to pursue a Dual Concentration (3 semesters studying a primary genre, 2 semesters studying a secondary genre) they may do so.
- Complete the online admissions application
- Complete and submit the Admission Essay. In one 3-5 page, double-spaced essay, please address the following:
- Describe your background as a writer (including academic training, professional experience, experiential learning, workshops, continuing education courses, etc.)
- Describe your goals as a writer and how you see AUSB’s MFA in Writing & Contemporary Media helping you to fulfill these goals.
- Describe your goals and experiences in the context of contemporary media and the digital environment.
- Which of our genres are you interested in exploring during your MFA program? Writing for Television – Screenwriting – Writing for the Stage – Writing for Radio – Multimedia (combining text with sound and/or image) – Emerging media (like podcasting or virtual reality or other new forms) – other.
- Send in all official transcripts indicating bachelor’s degree conferral from a regionally accredited institution.
- Submit a sample of writing, media, or production work.
Please submit all materials to: Antioch University Santa Barbara, Admissions Office, 602 Anacapa Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101.
DISCLAIMER: The information on this page is correct to the best of our knowledge at the time it was last updated. PLEASE verify with the school ALL due dates and requirements as they may have changed since our last update. If any info on this page is incorrect please let us know and we will update it. We are not responsible for missed deadlines or rejected applications due to out of date information on this page. Please do your due diligence.