- Really strong alumni network.
- Reputation and Prestige (World renowned).
- Opportunities to pitch to studio executives.
- Job opportunities/internships other than DP or directing in Hollywood.
- Surrounded by faculty who currently work in Hollywood.
- Student assistantships with hourly pay with sign on bonus of up to 5k.
- Scholarship opportunities for students who get their 1st or 2nd year films into good film festivals.
Bottom line: Tons of opportunities to work in Hollywood but may be not as a DP or a Director (Unless you're a Ryan Coogler ).
- Tuition fee: ~40k/annum ( total cost for 3 years might extend up to 200k because of self-funded films).
- Self-funded films except for 546 course (top 10 students of 60). Thesis is also self-funded.
- Can make only one top tier film festival worth movie in 546 course as a director (Unless you self-fund the films you make in intermediate directing, directing techniques, advanced directing or making media for social change courses).
- International students should be prepared to go back if they do not get their movies into top tier film festivals (which makes you eligible for O1 visa : click here for more details).
- No high end equipment for directing courses other than thesis or a 546.
USC Cinematic Arts - Film and Television Production (MFA)