2014' Acceptance / Interviews / Rejections

TheRealSV

Congrats to everyone getting interviews. It's so exciting and kind of nerve racking. I also got an interview for Columbia U. Still waiting on AFI for Directing & Producing, I just put in my producing app though and my processor said it will "go out for review in the coming weeks." So not sure how they view apps, whether it's first come first serve type basis as some have posted or in some sort of batches, etc? But here's hoping for an interview for both disciplines. Has anyone been waitlisted before and then submitted again to the same school the year later? If so what was your experience the second time submitting? Did they interview people that have been waitlisted again? Did you find that you were among the first to be called for an interview or among the last?

bjustman

Hi all,

I applied at UT Austin for MFA in Film and media production. Is there anyone who applied to UT?
UTA requires you to study in TWO disciplines, and most study creative fiction writing and screenwriting. the CW pgms I applied to (Vanderbilt, Iowa, Wash U St Louis, Brown) require the GRE and/or the subject exam, so UT is probably following suit. generally speaking, most CW MFA applicants plan on teaching, since very few can make a living immediately as a writer, and grad students who teach writing have to pass fairly rigorous academic standards. it's assumed you're en route to teaching until your best seller hits. which usually happens about the time you're 70 years old.

on the up side, UTA was the most well-funded program I looked into, and you won't have to work while you're in school--they want you focused on your writing, and you receive a FULL tuition waiver AND the nicest stipend in the USA, last time I checked. Austin also has a VERY cool and burgeoning film scene, so if your undergrad background isn't film, it's a great place to start.

Erin Leigh

Writing for TV...I actually just got asked to submit a spec script, so glad about that...but, nothing from LMU, yet. you?

Wait a spec scrip for LMU? or just in general? (i'm also applying for writing and producing for tv? i haven't heard yet but someone on the forum found out about getting in for production? they called her but i didn't know they did that. i know someone else who is a first year there that got in around this time maybe a week or so later [manguforcheap who just posted :)])

bjustman

Wait a spec scrip for LMU? or just in general? (i'm also applying for writing and producing for tv? i haven't heard yet but someone on the forum found out about getting in for production? they called her but i didn't know they did that. i know someone else who is a first year there that got in around this time maybe a week or so later [manguforcheap who just posted :)])
spec script was for a tv show, not related to LMU, but I mentioned that in my app, so hope that helps. I saw the production post, that's awesome. I think the WPTV program is really gaining steam...I have a feeling this yr will be their best, yet.

Erin Leigh

I hope so. I applied to there, Chapman and CMU (Entertainment Management; they have great placement and put a lot of students right out of graduation into the industry in a lot of areas) and I feel good about what I sent in to LMU.

But that's super awesome about the spec script! I want to know what show so bad! Haha!

bjustman

I hope so. I applied to there, Chapman and CMU (Entertainment Management; they have great placement and put a lot of students right out of graduation into the industry in a lot of areas) and I feel good about what I sent in to LMU.

But that's super awesome about the spec script! I want to know what show so bad! Haha!
Star Trek

spec script was for a tv show, not related to LMU, but I mentioned that in my app, so hope that helps. I saw the production post, that's awesome. I think the WPTV program is really gaining steam...I have a feeling this yr will be their best, yet.

The WPTV program here at LMU really seems top-notch. Great professors, visiting/guest lecturers from what I've heard. It seems as though Roberto Orci (co-creator and writer on Fringe, current showrunner of Sleepy Hollow & writer/producer of many other shows and films) is pretty involved in the program and comes to campus on a semi-frequent basis.

As the programs are so small, you will get to know people in production and screenwriting as well. The WPTV folks are all awesome!

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• International Film Institute of New York
    5.00 star(s)
    The summer intensive film program at Sarah Lawrence was fantastic. We were taught by industry professionals, whom had many years of experience...
    • Ldc88
    5.00 star(s)
    I experienced the most incredible summer at IFI, and I wish I could relive it every day! however, since I cannot , I make do by taking what I...
    • Anonymous
    5.00 star(s)
    I have been engaged with filmmaking since the age of 9 and was searching for a course that could further my knoll which is not always easy to...
    • sgabor
    5.00 star(s)
    The Sarah Lawrence Filmmaker's Collective was the top experience I've had at a summer film program. Start to finish, their top priority was that...
    • sammaggs
    5.00 star(s)
    I went into this camp uncertain of what I wanted to do in college. When I finished the five week intensive program, I knew what I wanted to do for...
    • JacobNurse