2020 Decisions.... what has everyone decided?

Chris W

The night was sultry...
Staff member
If you were accepted this application season have you decided where to go yet?

And if you weren't accepted... are you applying again next year?

Granted this whole COVID mess has thrown a huge wrench with the equation. :(

If you were accepted this application season have you decided where to go yet?

And if you weren't accepted... are you applying again next year?

Granted this whole COVID mess has thrown a huge wrench with the equation. :(

Turned down Chapman, NYU, and CSUN. Waiting to see if I get off the waitlist at USC, and if I'll ever hear back from UCLA... will likely apply again next year if USC doesn't pan out.

What led you to choose LMU over AFI/Chapman/BU?
May I ask why you chose LMU over AFI?
Two main reasons: firstly, I really wanted to go to AFI at first because the model of constantly making films throughout the year makes you seasoned in just two years and of course, the prestige/name, but, THE COST makes it such a financial commitment that I'm not willing to make as a young filmmaker that may not earn so much in the first few years.

I had an awesome interview with Patty Meyer and Evan Schwartz at LMU, they made it clear that I would be a good fit and we kept in touch after. I also got a good scholarship on top of the tuition that's nowhere as pricey as AFI. The LA location is a plus and I can't stress how much I appreciate the three-year length. I've seen other people on this site post about how it helps you find your feet vs. the pressure of figuring it out in two years. The third year is mainly prepping you to be career-facing in addition to being artistic.

Vs. Chapman, LA location won over Orange County and LMU's aid package was bigger.

Vs. Boston (they actually gave me the biggest scholarship of all the schools), but the location just didn't make much sense to me and the alumni didn't give me much hope for networking either.

Hope this helps!

Two main reasons: firstly, I really wanted to go to AFI at first because the model of constantly making films throughout the year makes you seasoned in just two years and of course, the prestige/name, but, THE COST makes it such a financial commitment that I'm not willing to make as a young filmmaker that may not earn so much in the first few years.

I had an awesome interview with Patty Meyer and Evan Schwartz at LMU, they made it clear that I would be a good fit and we kept in touch after. I also got a good scholarship on top of the tuition that's nowhere as pricey as AFI. The LA location is a plus and I can't stress how much I appreciate the three-year length. I've seen other people on this site post about how it helps you find your feet vs. the pressure of figuring it out in two years. The third year is mainly prepping you to be career-facing in addition to being artistic.

Vs. Chapman, LA location won over Orange County and LMU's aid package was bigger.

Vs. Boston (they actually gave me the biggest scholarship of all the schools), but the location just didn't make much sense to me and the alumni didn't give me much hope for networking either.

Hope this helps!
That is fantastic to hear how they were so willing to work with you! This is very helpful yes, thank you.

One last question: Did you apply for the scholarship when originally applying to the school? Or did they present it with your decision package after the fact, with no additional applications filled out on your part? And was it an outright scholarship or more of like a TA/fellowship-type thing where you'll get paid to teach as a continuing student?

That is fantastic to hear how they were so willing to work with you! This is very helpful yes, thank you.

One last question: Did you apply for the scholarship when originally applying to the school? Or did they present it with your decision package after the fact, with no additional applications filled out on your part? And was it an outright scholarship or more of like a TA/fellowship-type thing where you'll get paid to teach as a continuing student?
I applied with the application; there was a place to upload an essay and how much you might need if I remember correctly. It was an outright scholarship but they did say I could apply for the TA/GA positions but that they weren't guaranteed

I have officially wired my deposit for Directing at AFI.

Personally, I am hopeful they push the start date so we can experience the full hands-on experience from the start, but I am also certain they will do all they can to give us the best experience, regardless of shifting some things online. We are definitely going in during an interesting time, a transition, and there will be changes but not all for the negative. It is time to get creative and think of ways to be a part of what's to come. It could be an opportunity to be at the forefront of a shift in the industry. Who knows!?

I deferred Chapman Screenwriting's acceptance. Waitlisted for NYU Dramatic Writing. Chapman said they'd give me an extension for the deposit until this summer, because I've never been to Cali and I think it'd be pretty dumb to tour campus right now/make a move from NYC during this mess. If I get off the NYU waitlist, I'll attend because it's just closer to home, and was my #1 pick, anyway.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back