• THANKSGIVING WEEK LIFETIME SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP SALE: If you are finding FilmSchool.org helpful, consider becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $16! (20% off) by entering the coupon code THANKS. Coupon expires Sunday 11/29 at midnight PST.

2nd Year AFI Screenwriting Fellow, Accepted USC Screenwriting Applicant, Multi-Year Applicant Person - AMA!

Septopus7

Writer
Staff member
FilmSchool.org Writer
Lifetime Supporter
Hello applicants,

Septopus here. You might have seen this article I recently posted, re: my experience applying and getting into AFI, USC, etc.

After Three Years of Rejection, I Got Into The Two Best Film Schools in The World. Here Are The Five Things I Learned...

After Three Years of Rejection, I Got Into The Two Best Film Schools in The World. Here Are The Five Things I Learned...

So...you’re applying for film school, huh? I mean, that’s just my assumption. Not sure why you would bother reading this otherwise, especially with where we are currently in The Cycle of Applications. These next couple weeks are pretty much when all the major film school programs have their...

I wrote at length - way too at length, probably, like did anyone actually get through that thing, cause I sure didn't - but thought I would reach out to anyone who had any other specific questions that I could address related to AFI, the application process, getting into USC, screenwriting, the best Pixar movie (spoiler: it's Inside Out), etc.

I'm far from from an expert, but like J.K. Simmons selling insurance, I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two.* So feel free to ask away either below or, if privacy is your jam, send me a private message on here. I'm around (sometimes, when I'm putting off work that I have to do).

*It's come to my attention that J.K. Simmons isn't actually a real insurance agent, but just plays one in a series of TV commercials. But, tbh...I don't believe that.

Inkie9

Hey!

Thank you for your article – it was really helpful to read!

I was just wondering if you have any advice on the AFI Narrative Statement? I'm a bit unsure about what sort of tone to use – can I be quite casual and story-telling, or should it be more of a serious essay-style thing? Any tips would be amazing!

I'm applying for screenwriting :)

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya
  • University of Texas at Austin - Department of Radio-Television-Film
    4.00 star(s)
    Great film school outside of LA/NYC
    I would say overall UT's film school is a great choice! It is rated #11 on THR's Top Film School List in the U.S. Sure it's nowhere near LA or NY...
    • Anonymous
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Directing (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    a great decision
    Columbia College Chicago is not only one of America's best film schools it is also one of the most affordable. The program is advertised as 2...
    • Jcromwell
  • Fitchburg State University
    4.00 star(s)
    Okay School, especially for the price
    Came in as both a transfer and commuter, so my experience was really lessened by that fact. Your time and success here is really up to you...
    • Anonymous
  • SUNY Purchase - Playwriting & Screenwriting BA
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Quality Program
    I want to start off by mentioning that I came to Purchase as a transfer student from another liberal arts college and screenwriting program. This...
    • catmom