• IT'S HAPPENING! Celebrate interview season by becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $15! (25% off) by entering the coupon code "ITSHAPPENING" . Thanks for being a member of the site!

A few questions regarding Film School

FilmNerd00

Hey, I'm sorry if I bother you. Let me introduce myself first. I'm from Germany and I am lately considering applying to US Filmschools. Because I am from Germany a lot of things are very unfamiliar to me. First of all, do you know whether you have to take the SAT (as an International Student) for USC/NYU/UCLA I visited their websites but quite frankly I didn't find anything useful (apart from taking a TOEFL Test and have a score well above 100). My second question is: Do you think a good essay and great recommendation letters can get you also accepted, even tho my 5-minute movie is not the best (because I'm still an amateur, yet very eager to learn more). Are you aware of whether USC and other film schools also care about internships I have taken at media companies and whether these experiences can increase your chances of getting accepted? And my last question is can I apply to the Stark Producing Program, even tho I am technically a freshman? I have to admit I am quite confused because I've seen a lot of people claim that they major in a Production Program even tho they are freshman themselves (that's why I'm so confused, I'm sorry if the answer to this question is a no-brainer). Do you know any programs that are similar to the Peter Stark Producing Program?

Thank you so much in advance,

Greetings from Germany.

Julie Lew

Staff member
Hey, I'm sorry if I bother you. Let me introduce myself first. I'm from Germany and I am lately considering applying to US Filmschools. Because I am from Germany a lot of things are very unfamiliar to me. First of all, do you know whether you have to take the SAT (as an International Student) for USC/NYU/UCLA I visited their websites but quite frankly I didn't find anything useful (apart from taking a TOEFL Test and have a score well above 100). My second question is: Do you think a good essay and great recommendation letters can get you also accepted, even tho my 5-minute movie is not the best (because I'm still an amateur, yet very eager to learn more). Are you aware of whether USC and other film schools also care about internships I have taken at media companies and whether these experiences can increase your chances of getting accepted? And my last question is can I apply to the Stark Producing Program, even tho I am technically a freshman? I have to admit I am quite confused because I've seen a lot of people claim that they major in a Production Program even tho they are freshman themselves (that's why I'm so confused, I'm sorry if the answer to this question is a no-brainer). Do you know any programs that are similar to the Peter Stark Producing Program?

Thank you so much in advance,

Greetings from Germany.
Hi @FilmNerd00! Welcome to the site! Are you asking about undergrad film school? If so, you may or may not need to take the SAT or an equivalent international test, depending on the schools you are applying to. If you are applying for grad film school, you just need to have a bachelors or equivalently accredited degree.

As for your second question, I'm sure admissions people aren't looking for beautifully polished short films. After all, then what could they teach you if your films are "perfect"? They are looking for creativity and dedication, and so you should focus on having your application materials reflect that. When I applied to USC, I had done several internships and they did seem interested in them (especially the one where I worked for an alumni).

As for the Stark program, it is a graduate level program, so you already have to have a degree to apply. If you're an undergrad, you should be focusing on acquiring general film skills and then seek out electives in producing, if that's what you're interested in. Having had a general production background allowed me to get a range of different jobs in the industry after I moved to LA. If I just knew one thing, it would have been a lot harder.

Those are just my two cents. Hope it helped!

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews