2004 acceptances?

:( sorry about that, but you can always try a transfer after one year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Denied at Columbia University, letter was dated April 5. It's good to know, but I think this is a VERY bad sign: my interview for Columbia seemed like it went about the same as AFI. And it really stinks to know that my interview probably lead to my rejection: I was judged on my personality and failed. Look like I'll be moving to LA one way or another.

Hey,

This is my first visit here to your community, but it looks great.

A few years ago, when I was in the undergraduate admission process, I applied to UCLA, USC, Loyola Marymount in L.A. (LMU), and Chapman. UCLA was my only reach school, but I felt I had a decent chance so it was worth applying. I didn't make it in there, and somehow I didn't get into USC despite higher SAT scores and a higher GPA than any of my classmates who did make it in. But that's another story. In any case, I did make it to both LMU and Chapman.

Chapman is not a selective school at all. That's not to say it's bad, though. I'll get to that later.

I ended up attending LMU because I felt that Chapman wasn't well suited to me. In fact I was bummed that both of the film schools I gained acceptance to were religious, which I am not. It just worked out that way. After a semester at LMU, I left because I hated the people there, thought it was a waste of money, and hated the whole experience. It was just a terrible school. Fair warning to anyone considering going there. The campus is beautiful, the women are beautiful, but don't be deceived.

The reason I chose not to attend Chapman is because of their whole "undergrads must stay on campus until they are 21" nonsense. I didn't stay on campus even one semester. There is no way I would be caught dead living in a tiny dorm with someone else, haha, forget that. But when I was at LMU I read this wonderful article on film schools and on Chapman's new project. They were building some huge studio backlot for film students to use for their projects. I don't know how far along they came with that, but I was very impressed. I think Chapman looks to be a far better *graduate* experience than undergrad experience, but that's just me. It certainly seems that Chapman is making a real effort to compete with the better film schools. So I'm sure all of you who go there will probably be pleased. I was also offered a $14,000 per year Presidential Scholarship from them, which was nice, but I just ended up not feeling it was right for me.

Now I'm about to graduate college as a philosophy major up here at Oregon State University, far from an acclaimed school by any means. Only our engineering program is nationally renowned (top 20). But I felt that I could return to L.A. and do film after I got my college degree, which my parents wanted me to have and I of course think it's a good idea just for prestige purposes if nothing else. Plus, I think philosophy is a great background for film. Part of being a great filmmaker is having great ideas or stories to tell or subjects to delve into, and philosophy has opened up new avenues for me in the types of movies I want to make (thoughtful, quirky movies).

In any case, I'm thinking about applying to UCLA's graduate program when I am out of Oregon State, but only after I establish residency in CA. I've read a bit about how difficult it is to get into their program, and I know that when I applied as an undergraduate I just didn't have the qualifications that would have gotten me in there (probably 50 to 100 points higher on the SAT would have helped, but I probably needed a perfect GPA and I had a 3.85).

I think that actually getting into a lot of these schools is HARDER as an undergraduate than it is as a graduate. I don't know what the stats say, but UCLA accepts 11% of people who apply to their graduate film schools. That may not sound like good odds, but college is way easier than high school, at least for me it has been or anyone else who attended my high school. I have nearly a perfect GPA (one single A-), not to mention that to apply to UCLA's film school as a grad. you don't need any standard testing. The GRE is optional, but probably could only help you I'd imagine.

In any case, I'd be curious to hear from anyone who actually did get accepted to UCLA, given that it's such a hard place to get into. My friend Sean went to USC after two years at Oregon State, but only made it into the film studies program and not the film production program. It's very difficult, no matter the GPA. I think Sean had nearly a 4.0, also, but from my understanding it's even harder as a transfer student than it is any other way. Either freshman or graduate...

I just basically got the idea that I wanted to try for UCLA a few days ago, when considering how hard I have worked for perfect grades. I was just planning to attend AFI or NYFA or Full Sail or something like that. I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone if they have any knowledge of how those schools compare to film colleges. Part of me would rather be done with college entirely, because I hate college and I hate formal schooling, but then again the other part of me says that if I could get into UCLA, it would give me a lot of great connections and would also be impressive on any resume [B.S. in Philosophy from OSU and M.F.A in Film Production from UCLA].

Good to read of your acceptances. I hope you all get in where you want and have a blast ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonathan Bowen:
This is my first visit here to your community, but it looks great. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to the boards Jonathan!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonathan Bowen:
I think philosophy is a great background for film. Part of being a great filmmaker is having great ideas or stories to tell or subjects to delve into, and philosophy has opened up new avenues for me in the types of movies I want to make (thoughtful, quirky movies). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't agree with you more. I didn't major in philosophy myslef, but I was fortunate to go to a film program that really emphasized that aspect.

I don't know what the stats say, but UCLA accepts 11% of people who apply to their graduate film schools. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When they came to the graduate school fair at my college they put that number closer to 1% (They said they take ~20 grads out of ~2,000 applicants). That was a few years ago, though and maybe they were referring to the screenwriting program (UCLA is tops for that).

I have nearly a perfect GPA (one single A-), not to mention that to apply to UCLA's film school as a grad. you don't need any standard testing. The GRE is optional, but probably could only help you I'd imagine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just basically got the idea that I wanted to try for UCLA a few days ago, when considering how hard I have worked for perfect grades. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Grad schools don't seem to care a whole lot about numbers (Even the ones that make you take the GRE). They're far more concerned with writing and creative samples (And experience in some cases).

I was just planning to attend AFI or NYFA or Full Sail or something like that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa there Cap'n! Be careful when using NYFA and Full Sail in the same sentance with AFI. NYFA and Full Sail are basically tech schools. They'll teach anyone willing to pay them how to load a camera and use a light meter, and give you a certificate or a non-transferrable A.S. degree. AFI is a highly selective M.F.A. only program that is regarded by many to be tops in the world (Take that with a grain of salt as I am a patiently waiting applicant there). The last time U.S. News and World Report ranked MFA film programs the top 5 were U.S.C., N.Y.U., U.C.L.A., A.F.I. and Columbia (N.Y.). I'm not sure if that was the order, though.

Anyway, good luck, and keep us in the loop!

Nota "Platistophocles" Mono

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dpete:
Ouch, I got rejected from Ithaca too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude, that sucks! Don't feel bad, though. Things are very strange in the world of admissions. A relative of mine just got into Stanford and Pomona, but got rejected from UCLA and UCSD.

You're a talented guy, you'll do fine wherever you go.

Nota "Tritons beyotch!" Mono

I didn't realize AFI was that selective originally, but now I do from reading the thread. That's cool, well I don't know if I'd apply there but probably, might as well I suppose... except that I won't have any "work samples" to show really. I mean, that's the point, I am interested in film and serious about it, but I want to learn how to do it. I haven't really made any movies yet. I made a few with friends but they were pretty lousy. Just good experience... I would never show them to anyone else, lol.

"They're far more concerned with writing and creative samples"

This seems to be the case, yeah. I was also reading that. Well I'm actually a professional writer and an unpublished author, so writing has always been my strong point. I still have a literary agent in New York, the same guy who represents Leonard Maltin. Mr. Maltin personally endorsed my first book, which was awesome. It was a huge deal to me, but we never found a publisher. Rejected from all of the top publishing houses. I still think that the book will be published, one day, but now is not the time perhaps. If I had that book published, I know it would help me with film school admissions, since it was a book about film. Doh!

Jonathan,

Your writing ablity and credentials Would go a long way when applying to film schools. I wouldn't put AFI in the same breath as Full Sail or NYFA either, but actually in terms of how the curriculums work they are actually pretty similar. AFI is the ULTIMATE technical school, the best place to get hands on experience, while a place like NYU or Columbia might teach you how to be a filmmaker; AFI lets you “be” a filmmaker.

So, I got my letter today: denied in the directing program at AFI, and seeing that I haven't had a phone call, I'm expecting the Screenwriting one to come tomorrow. The letter was dated April 13th. This is really between a rock and a hard place; I know that my interview was the reason I didn't get in. So how do I make myself cooler? j/k Good luck to the rest of you waiting and congratulations to those of you who made the cut.

Sorry to hear that dancingbear. Hopefully it just takes longer to deliver the bulky acceptance package for screenwriting.

Nota "Through rain, sleet and snow, but not smog" Mono

P.S. I just got in to cinematography! :)

Congrats, Notamona! That's a great program to get into. I can't imagine how much practial experience fellows get in the editing and cinematography programs. Did you get called?

sorry to hear that dancingbear. i may be in the same boat. no letter yet... no phone call either... Regardless of what happens, I'm planning on making the move to LA at the end of the summer... Anyway, hope you get into screenwriting. Fingers crossed for both of us... At least the waiting is coming to a close and we can figure out whatever the next steps are...
Congratulats Mr. Mono... Hope you have a wonderful time celebrating this evening...

Captain Propane,
Good luck to you, too. I'm in the same frame of mind as you. Made the promise to myself that I'd be in LA in August one way or another. AFI would be great, but I think just being in LA could only help.

denied by AFI directing program. got the letter today.

do not know anything about the cinematography though? but it does not fair well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NotaMono:
P.S. I just got in to cinematography! :) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey congrats! That's hella cool. Nota "day rate increasing by the hour" Mono

Ouch...out at UCLA screenwriting too. They sent me the rejection at two in the morning. It WAS fun to change that R to an A in the URL. To see my name and everything on an acceptance letter. Oh well...

I was looking at the AFI site, though, maybe I was looking at the wrong place, but do you have to already have an undergraduate degree in film or 3-5 years experience? It was mentioning that, but maybe I was looking at a different program.

I mean if that is the case, I guess I couldn't even apply there.

I definitely look forward to applying to a few of these places, but I will not be disappointed if I just go to an NYFA or LA Film School. I think both schools look excellent, actually, and also I believe that your creative vision as a director is more important than just where you go. Both of those schools can help you meet other people interested in film and will give you connections. As well, both will teach you how to direct movies (or screenwrite, etc.) and how to get into the industry. I am not convinced there is as big of a difference between UCLA and NYFA as a lot of people want you to believe. In fact, the main difference I see is that NYFA is faster, and probably a lot less messing around. College in general is about a lot of messing around. A lot of empty space. A lot of wasted time. I don't get that feeling about either NYFA or Los Angeles Film School. Both are very serious. When you go there, you work on movies, and that's your focus. I like that.

I'm not knocking UCLA, though, I'd love to go there of course. I just don't want to get into some type of mindset like, "Well gee if I don't get into UCLA or AFI, then I'm ruined and every other school sucks." I really don't think that's true. That's the type of negative thinking that probably just hurts your creative abilities. Great directors have come from all types of places and that's the wonderful thing about film. They can come from anywhere.

An old professor who graduated from USC Film School, once said emphatically, "I wouldn't recommend film school to anyone!" Then, he added, "...the only thing I would say though is that it can help you get your foot in the door easier."

See, that's the thing isn't it?

If you go to a one year crash course type place, the onus is on you to bring the talent and come with your lunch pale hat on. If you go to a prestige film school, shouldn't we all be so lucky, then you still have to work; BUT, you now have the benefit of instant credibility. If you can't back it up now with talent, it don't mean nothing. But you can rest more easily, as you produce "art" at school. Making art is a lot about confidence, it's easier to produce when you're established and respected. So much of the artist's struggle is that feeling of "looking over your shoulder." A top film school provides peace of mind WHILE it lasts.

But, still, if you don't produce while you're there and take advantage of the pyschological/ego/pysche benefits...then did it really matter? Probably not.

I will say one thing though, I respect anyone who can go to a "no-name" place or even "no place" and succeed, becuase frankly that takes a lot of "balls," in my opinion, more.

That said, anyone hear about Columbia's film program yet?

Still waiting, but I need to know like immediately now. I don't expect to get in AT ALL, because I was a wee bit, read A LOT, psychotic with the materials I sent; but still I feel like a fool for waiting...i.e. it's patently obvious that I'm just waiting for a rejection letter at this point, nevertheless I still have to wait.

I have a job I desperately want to apply for as it's what I love, social work, yet still flexible enough for me to write on the side. Man, I need to find out quickly or this job's gonna go bye-bye. It's driving me nuts, this is the next best alternative for me next to Columbia, always my first choice, unfortunately.

BTW, I wouldn't sweat not getting into a screenwriting program. In my opinion, totally not worth it compared to a film program. I never considered applying to a screenwriting program, because screenwriting is a lot about the discipline of sitting down and doing it...you can get that by signing up for tons of cheap "extension" courses that are often the same thing you get at say UCLA, and for a lot less. You can also join a writer's group to push you.

I would say I'd only be willing to pay for a film school, because there you get technical training, access to equipment you can't afford, easier access to actors, FAR easier to access to a crew, easy to get experience in any number of student productions from the technical side, get a screenwriting education as well, some training in a little bit of everything, greater access to grant opportunities to make your films, etc., etc. To me, it's a no-brainer, same tuition; but you tell me what the better value is?

Denied by the Screenwriting program at AFI. Good luck to the rest of you and congratulations to those of you who got accepted. At long last the waiting is over, time to get back to making films...Cheers!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back