Accepted to NYU - Dramatic Writing AMA (Ask Me Anything)

mm70

Supporting Member
Currently accepted to NYU - Dramatic Writing MFA and attending in the Fall.

All questions welcome!

Best,

P

cnsmith0619

Hello,

I am applying to NYU’s Dramatic Writing in the fall and just wanted to know what you personally think they are looking for in an applicant? Also, why did you decide to attend NYU?

mm70

Supporting Member
Hi,

NYU DDW takes 24 students per year. NYU tries to achive an equal mix of playwrights, tv writers, and feature writers. Often, though, each year skews differently.

Spend most of your energy on your writing sample. Then your personal statement. If you're granted an interview, research the person. Read their work if its available. Practice a few interview questions with a friend (you can find sample questions on this site).

I got into AFI and NYU. Below is a link of my reasoning behind my decision:

How I chose between NYU Dramatic Writing and AFI Screenwriting.

I'm tagging @Lifeisnoholiday. Perhaps he has more to add.

Good luck, and don't hesitate if you have other questions!

P

Last edited:

cnsmith0619

Hey I have another question.
So for me, my feature is a drama comedy but more of a comedy.
Do you think they prefer a drama or does it really matter ?

mm70

Supporting Member
Mine was a dramedy well! It’s okay if the script strays either way, as long as it’s good.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• International Film Institute of New York
    5.00 star(s)
    The summer intensive film program at Sarah Lawrence was fantastic. We were taught by industry professionals, whom had many years of experience...
    • Ldc88
    5.00 star(s)
    I experienced the most incredible summer at IFI, and I wish I could relive it every day! however, since I cannot , I make do by taking what I...
    • Anonymous
    5.00 star(s)
    I have been engaged with filmmaking since the age of 9 and was searching for a course that could further my knoll which is not always easy to...
    • sgabor
    5.00 star(s)
    The Sarah Lawrence Filmmaker's Collective was the top experience I've had at a summer film program. Start to finish, their top priority was that...
    • sammaggs
    5.00 star(s)
    I went into this camp uncertain of what I wanted to do in college. When I finished the five week intensive program, I knew what I wanted to do for...
    • JacobNurse