Accepted to NYU - Dramatic Writing AMA (Ask Me Anything)

mm70

Supporting Member
Currently accepted to NYU - Dramatic Writing MFA and attending in the Fall.

All questions welcome!

Best,

P

cnsmith0619

Hello,

I am applying to NYU’s Dramatic Writing in the fall and just wanted to know what you personally think they are looking for in an applicant? Also, why did you decide to attend NYU?

mm70

Supporting Member
Hi,

NYU DDW takes 24 students per year. NYU tries to achive an equal mix of playwrights, tv writers, and feature writers. Often, though, each year skews differently.

Spend most of your energy on your writing sample. Then your personal statement. If you're granted an interview, research the person. Read their work if its available. Practice a few interview questions with a friend (you can find sample questions on this site).

I got into AFI and NYU. Below is a link of my reasoning behind my decision:

How I chose between NYU Dramatic Writing and AFI Screenwriting.

I'm tagging @Lifeisnoholiday. Perhaps he has more to add.

Good luck, and don't hesitate if you have other questions!

P

Last edited:

cnsmith0619

Hey I have another question.
So for me, my feature is a drama comedy but more of a comedy.
Do you think they prefer a drama or does it really matter ?

mm70

Supporting Member
Mine was a dramedy well! It’s okay if the script strays either way, as long as it’s good.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Cal State Northridge (CSUN) - MFA in Screenwriting Program
    3.00 star(s)
    I was accepted to the CSUN MFA program in 2018 and took part in in for a full year; however, I recently decided not to go back and complete the...
    • Anonymous
  • Savannah College of Art and Design (MFA)
    1.00 star(s)
    The school is a complete honeypot, department head Donald.W Moffett has limited film production experience and has not idea how to properly guide...
    • Anonymous
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Emerson opened a lot of doors for me, so I can't dismiss that fact. However, I don't think it was necessary for me to go to Emerson as opposed to...
    • Anonymous
  • NYU - Tisch Kanbar Institute of Film and Television (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    Currently in my third year of my MFA at NYU Tisch Grad Film (writing/directing). I cannot praise this program enough! It exceeded any expectation...
    • Anonymous
  • National Film and Television School (NFTS)
    5.00 star(s)
    I'm currently in my first year of a 2 year MA at the NFTS. I saw these relatively negative reviews about the NFTS before I applied, but I can now...
    • VDW