Accepted to NYU - Dramatic Writing AMA

Hi! Just saw this, but I’m applying for the MFA in the fall, did you have any professional experience before applying? Or had you written multiple scripts?

m7oda

Yes I did. I've had over four years of experience. Senior staff writer for the arabic version of SNL for four seasons and the headwriter for a few Arabic animated series.

Oh cool, I’m Lebanese! Do you think that writing about something culturally specific is helpful for the application? Also, did you get a chance to meet your classmates? Thanks for your help:)

m7oda

I don't know about the stories being culturally specific and I don't think it has to be actually. my entries were a spec script of Rick and Morty and an original script for a Mockumentary series set in the U. S. but the storyline for that episode had something to do with Egypt in a way but I don't think that that counted as something.

m7oda

From what I hear they accept 24 each year. I'm starting at the beginning of September so I don't know anyone yet. Also, I think there are no divisions to join and you simply choose whatever you wanna study and write in your Thesis and chosen courses.

Memz

Hey!

Thanks for doing this. I am preparing my application for next years intake. I wanted to ask how you approached and structured your personal statement? We only get 750 words, which is a lot less compared to the other programs. I have a hard time figuring out how to cram in all the answers to their questions in that small space..

Also, what was your impression with regards to what they value most in future candidates? Background, experience, the writing samples or something else?

m7oda

Hey!

Thanks for doing this. I am preparing my application for next years intake. I wanted to ask how you approached and structured your personal statement? We only get 750 words, which is a lot less compared to the other programs. I have a hard time figuring out how to cram in all the answers to their questions in that small space..

Also, what was your impression with regards to what they value most in future candidates? Background, experience, the writing samples or something else?
Sorry for taking so long to answer. I was moving to New York and settling in school.

About the personal statement. I've had a personal statement that I applied with to my scholarship and it was a bit longer than what they wanted. so I had to cut some stuff out. As a writer anyway you have to learn how to prioritize and take unnecessary lines from your draft. You just need to show them your background and where you're coming from. Why do you wanna be a writer and what steps did you take towards accomplishing that and how would you be a good fit for the program. at least that's what I think. They don't really care about your professional experience. They just wanna see scripts. from what i know the first step for them is to have professional readers read all the scripts they get. and when these readers feel that "there's something going on" with a script they refer it to faculty members and they examine your application and scripts even further.
I read some of the scripts of my colleagues this year that they applied with. All I can see in common between all of them is that they were mostly well structured, they were interesting and you could clearly see that the person who wrote this is talented. But still the scripts weren't BRILLIANT or oscar worthy. In the end, we're coming here to learn. we're just showing potential that's all. good luck!

Memz

Hey

No worries! Thanks for that. Interesting to hear about the process, had no idea that's how they approached the applications.

Good luck with the program and hope you don't mind if circle back later with more questions :)

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Cal State Northridge (CSUN) - MFA in Screenwriting Program
    3.00 star(s)
    I was accepted to the CSUN MFA program in 2018 and took part in in for a full year; however, I recently decided not to go back and complete the...
    • Anonymous
  • Savannah College of Art and Design (MFA)
    1.00 star(s)
    The school is a complete honeypot, department head Donald.W Moffett has limited film production experience and has not idea how to properly guide...
    • Anonymous
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Emerson opened a lot of doors for me, so I can't dismiss that fact. However, I don't think it was necessary for me to go to Emerson as opposed to...
    • Anonymous
  • NYU - Tisch Kanbar Institute of Film and Television (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    Currently in my third year of my MFA at NYU Tisch Grad Film (writing/directing). I cannot praise this program enough! It exceeded any expectation...
    • Anonymous
  • National Film and Television School (NFTS)
    5.00 star(s)
    I'm currently in my first year of a 2 year MA at the NFTS. I saw these relatively negative reviews about the NFTS before I applied, but I can now...
    • VDW