AFI 2012

Could anyone accepted or rejected share your portfolio if you don't mind?Vemio,youtube link or just discription of your work would be OK.

Definitely I don't know what kind of rules they follow in order to accept or reject people.. it's very weird.

So, just to follow the previous replies.

I applied to Cinematography.

My recommenders:
- Emmanuel Lubezki
- Daniel Aranyo
- Iñarritu
- Pedro Almodovar

People who talk about me at AFI:
- Janusz Kaminski
- Rodrigo Prieto

My CV:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2561287/

The shortfilms I sent:

No Existe El Adios
http://fibabc.abc.es/videos/existe-adios-1047.html

(I got two nominations and 1 award for this job)

Stringless (work in progress)
https://vimeo.com/33984087

I sent a photographic portfolio with almost 20 pics too.

Also I got the Fulbright Scholarship in Spain and I have learnt English from the scratch in one year and some months just to go to AFI, in fact, I'm still learning :D.

My narrative statement is great, I put my heart and my mind on it and everybody who read it loved it.

However I was rejected without the chance of an interview.

Of course I'm going to talk with them, because it's inexplicable and everybody (even my recommenders) can't believe it.

Anyway, it's not the end of the world, if I'm not accepted this year, I will send my application in December again and again and again till I'm accepted.

My second option is TISCH in NY and my third one is NFTS in London, not for this year though so I don't know if Fulbright will keep my scholarship for next year or I will have to pay the full cost of tuition.

Cheers!.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ If you did not get accepted, then definitely I have lost my hope. You have IMDB credits, and all the essentials to get accepted. I wonder, what undergraduate school did you go to?

Mike

Well, I didn't go to any film school or university so that means that I don't have a bachelor and since that is not important in AFI I think that that is not an issue since they are looking for people with passion or at least I thought so.

I don't think that Imdb credits are important either so who knows!.

Best!.

In order for you to enroll for a Master's degree you NEED an undergraduate degree. BA.BS. or BFA.

So, that's why I assume you were not considered. I do recommended calling, I may be wrong.

Mike

Originally posted by Filmikey@aol.com:
In order for you to enroll for a Master's degree you NEED an undergraduate degree. BA.BS. or BFA.

So, that's why I assume you were not considered. I do recommended calling, I may be wrong.

Mike

^-- what he said. You can't get a masters if you don't have a bachelor's of some sort.

Originally posted by Miguel Angel:
Definitely I don't know what kind of rules they follow in order to accept or reject people.. it's very weird.

So, just to follow the previous replies.

I applied to Cinematography.

My recommenders:
- Emmanuel Lubezki
- Daniel Aranyo
- Iñarritu
- Pedro Almodovar

People who talk about me at AFI:
- Janusz Kaminski
- Rodrigo Prieto

My CV:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2561287/

The shortfilms I sent:

No Existe El Adios
http://fibabc.abc.es/videos/existe-adios-1047.html

(I got two nominations and 1 award for this job)

Stringless (work in progress)
https://vimeo.com/33984087

I sent a photographic portfolio with almost 20 pics too.

Also I got the Fulbright Scholarship in Spain and I have learnt English from the scratch in one year and some months just to go to AFI, in fact, I'm still learning :D.

My narrative statement is great, I put my heart and my mind on it and everybody who read it loved it.

However I was rejected without the chance of an interview.

Of course I'm going to talk with them, because it's inexplicable and everybody (even my recommenders) can't believe it.

Anyway, it's not the end of the world, if I'm not accepted this year, I will send my application in December again and again and again till I'm accepted.

My second option is TISCH in NY and my third one is NFTS in London, not for this year though so I don't know if Fulbright will keep my scholarship for next year or I will have to pay the full cost of tuition.

Cheers!.

clearly you have a huge ego. one reason you may have been rejected. I was accepted and will mention what my portfolio and application consisted of.

I have two undergraduate degrees. my short film was directed, shot and written by myself (15 mins, about $10k)and has played in festivals across the country where I won awards. I was accepted at NYU, Cal arts, USC and two Ivy League schools for unrelated programs of study (literature). my gpa was around 3.7 and i scored in the 97% percentile of gre test takers. i think maybe because you don't have an undergraduate degree, you werent considered. the video you posted is mediocre at best, to be honest, and having famous people write for you doesn't help if you don't have the chops. please get a reality check... afi DOES look at your application carefully. i'm sure you can make a great film someday, or even now. but if you felt queasy reading my list of 'accomplishments' and how egotistical i sounded, maybe you can imagine the way others feel when they look at your statement of purpose or your forum posts.

Originally posted by Filmikey@aol.com:

Mike

While you do need an undergraduate degree for an MFA, you can still be accepted at AFI without having attended college. This is the case with several of my classmates, and while they won't receive the degree (it will be a certificate of completion) they otherwise have all the same access the rest of us do.

That being said, I am baffled how Miguel Angel didn't even get an interview. I didn't watch his films but, between his CV and those references, I would think as long as he displayed the slightest competence when it comes to craft that he would be a shoo-in.

You do not need an undergrad degree to attend AFI. However, without one you will only receive a certificate and not a MFA.

Cinema334
Do I have a great ego?, I don't think so!.
AFI focus is on having passion and they measure the effort not the skills because they are the guys who are going to teach you so you don't need the skills at all.
I know a lot of people who were wondering between directing and cinematography at AFI and nowadays they are awesome cinematographers.

I was just answering the question who another guy asked so that is what I sent, are they mediocre? probably!, that's the reason I want to go to school if I knew everything about photography why should I go to a school?.

If you were accepted that's great, isn't it? :D, if, finally, I'm accepted you will see how wrong you are about egos and that stuff :D.

On the other hand I don't know what a GPA or a GRE is :D.

SOmetimes, if you start working in cinema from the beginning of the ladder, as I did, that means that you don't have ego at all, in fact, do you know how many years I made coffee for people while working in movies?, and I'm really happy about that because it taught me a lot of things, and to be egotistical is not one of them.. I don't know how it works in USA, as a camera intern, at least in Europe, you have to look after your camera crew in every single moment and you have to work harder than them ^^, and, to be frank, when you are working the only thing you don't want to have is ego.

Honestly, my recommenders are not famous people they are people who I worked with and who taught me a lot of really good things, just that, I'm not guilty of having worked (do you say so?) with them!.

And as I said before, if you reckon that I sounded egotistical read carefully because you missunderstodd it ;).
Moreover, the fact I'm posting under my real name is one of the things you should see as "not egotistical" :D.

By the way, $10.000 sounds pretty much for a 15mins 16mm film, did you use the Complete16 webpage? because it might have saved a lot of money!, it is such a wonderful webpage!!.

Brice88 is right you don't need an undergraduate degree, AFI is one of the schools they don't need it.

Cheers!.

GPA is a grade point average. It is given at schools in the US. GRE is a graduate entrance exam. Not required for AFI. Scoring in the 97th percentile means you are a very well spoken cinematographer.

Don't worry about having an ego. Every film school has people with egos (even AFI *gasp*).

As for having mediocre work, everyone on this forum has shown mediocre work. I have yet to see a short here that blew me away. We are all still learning. ;)

Good luck and maybe I'll see you Fall of 2013.

Miguel if you checked off Certification in the application as opposed to the Master's Degree, then I am baffled at you not even being considered for an interview.

And yes, everyone has a huge ego, which leads to conflict with people who are in the ego race.

Mike.

The application deadline for the 2012-2013 academic year has been extended:

June 8
Cinematography

July 16
Editing
Producing
Production Design

Directing and Screenwriting are closed.

what? I clearly stated in my posts on that thread that I needed film school because I lack something. I think AFI students, especially, are egotistical. I've been to a lot of parties and AFI sets and it seems they accept a bunch of big headed rich people who are able to finance the smaller amount of talented, level headed people. in all honesty i think that could be a good thing. most people in hollywood are like that and it's a reflection of the field, and you just may end up meeting the right person.

Freakyfreddy.
Thanks!.
That's my point, everybody has a lot of things to learn even when they are working!.
Cinema is one of those fields which offer too much to know in just 2 years.

I hope we could meet each other soon.

Filmikey.
I checked off Certification rather than Master's Degree.
As for the ego thing, in Spain, if you have "ego" when you are starting in the business.. you just do 2 films in 1, your first one and your last one ;).

As 2nd Camera Assistant I have seen a lot of quarrels between people just for that and it's a thing I don't like and I try to avoid.

I imagine that, of course, everybody has an ego (or pride) but there are egos and then there are egos.

Seven.
If it was for me, thanks! :D.

I will write a letter to them in a few days, I don't know what to say though!.

Best!!.

Hi all, I just received a phone call for an interview with AFI next weds. I applied producing, would like to know some of the interview questions, ad prepare for them. Thanks.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back