TheRealSV

Did anyone get a call for an interview yet? I was waitlisted for director program last year and had already had a Skype interview scheduled this time last year so since I haven't seen anyone posting about AFI status updates and haven't heard from them. I was curious if anyone has been contacted for an interview yet. I hear they take the waitlisted status in consideration for the following year but still biting my nails in anticipation for a call for an interview. I applied to the director and producer track this year and Columbia U. Any other AFI applicants out there and have you heard anything yet?

Am I really the only AFI applicant on the board? I see people stalking but no ones talking. :( Ugh I don't want to suffer through this agony alone. Anybody? Bueller? :oops:

Hi iWonder! Cool beans! Yeah the sound of silence is driving me crazy! lol! I give so much respect to screenwriters because I have tried to write a feature and that middle part, It's always the 30 through 90 pages that is the toughest. Every writer knows how it will start and how it will end but what to do with immense story telling skills in the middle is the hard part, at least of me it is. :) Good luck! I see you also applied to Columbia as well! Good luck with that too!

I'll co-sign to that; the middle is the toughest part. The faculty must have been very enthused by your work since you were interviewed and waitlisted last year. Did you change anything for this year's application, or did you pretty much keep it the same? Best of luck to you with AFI and Columbia.

Hi Anon33, good luck! I know how you feel. I really want to go too. :) Hopefully we 3 on this thread get an interview and get in this year!

I'll co-sign to that; the middle is the toughest part. The faculty must have been very enthused by your work since you were interviewed and waitlisted last year. Did you change anything for this year's application, or did you pretty much keep it the same? Best of luck to you with AFI and Columbia.

They were pretty enthused but that didn't help in the end I was still waitlisted. But honestly it all comes down to the interview because when they contacted me last year, I was the first person they called and the admissions processor told me that I should be proud because I was the first person they wanted to interview because they were very impressed by my application. But as I mentioned in last years forum, I choked up in the interview and that pretty much sealed my fate...hence being waitlisted and now praying to get a call to be re-interviewed. :(

Yeah, I rewrote the Narrative Statement but I didn't make it as long as I did last years and it was so tough to do this year because I felt like I articulated myself and my director point of view quite elegantly in last years lol! This year it was like banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what to say that I didn't already say in last years NR and make it sound just as good. :) I also submitted two different movies. That was also tough because one of the ones I submitted last year, I think by far was my best work and one of the ones I submitted this year, doesn't look as great because the DP, an undergrad student without much lighting knowledge and well, I don't know much about it myself, flagged the actors for shadows and so it made for a darkness on the actors and extreme back lighting from the sun on the scene, so hoping they see the acting, story, emotion behind the film rather then the horrible backlighting from the sun in a few of the scenes. Best of luck to you too!

Been snooping around to get info on how the interviews go.... So I thought I'd join.

Anyway, Got my call on the 5th and my interview is all scheduled. :D

Been snooping around to get info on how the interviews go.... So I thought I'd join.

Anyway, Got my call on the 5th and my interview is all scheduled. :D

Nice!! Congrats! What's your discipline? Oh also when did you submit your application?

So I was scanning the thread I started last year. There were a great many folks on it sharing info and anxiety as well as excitement at getting accepted for interviews, info on the interview process and happy times when accepted. So for all the lurkers just reading and not replying check it out its AFI 2013/2014. It may answer a lot of your questions in your mind. I did see this post and wanted to share it here for everyone. It eases my mind as I didn't get my app in until minutes before the deadline. And there are a few posts about people getting in without interviews.

1. Hello, I have news. I called today Feb. 20th to AFI to ask about the status of my application for directing. They told me of course that they are reviewing the application. Aaaand, I asked if the committee does interviews only to people that have chances to be accepted, and the people who does not get interviews are rejected already? So they told me that not necessarily. The students that did not get a call or email to have an interview DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY HAVE NO CHANCES TO BE ACCEPTED. They interview some students that might be accepted, but after the interview they might be not accepted, it depends how they did on the interview. Aaand also, depending on your personal statement, they might not call you for an interview and still be accepted to the program. The interview is just to know a little bit more about you, because probably in the personal statement didn't say much about you and they want to know more. So still people who did get an interview they still have chances to get in. Funny thing is that I got the same answer from AFI, UCLA, and USC. You might be accepted for the items that you submitted. So I wish you all the luck, and hopefully we can all get in and meet in the fall. good luck.

2. pnrt7New Member

Message Count:

Ratings Received:

+1 / 0 / -0
    They also told me that they review the materials in the order that there were submitted. So if you submitted at the last minute of the deadline, probably yours will be last to see, but it doesn't mean that you won't be accepted.

I have my interview set for AFI in the begining of March in NYC. Its good to know they are just looking to know more about you. I looked at other forum from previous years regarding AFI interviews and people said they talked about other forms of Art... I guess I should brush up on some of the painters I like. :)

Still haven't heard from AFI. I'm trying to hit up some people I know that go there to see if maybe the waitlisted folks get calls later as they already interviewed us last year so maybe they want to interview the fresh candidates first. Hahaha, I'm just looking for reasons to not stress about not getting the call yet. But on the other hand, good news, I did get my interview for Columbia Universities director/screenwriter program!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back