AFI 2019 Screenwriting

I believe they accept around 26 people for each concentration

Lol I said around!!!! And congrats to us!!

d890

same here, interviewing in 2 weeks! Eeeek! Just wondering how many applicants get an interview -- can't be more than 80 or so, right? What do others think?

Dean

Supporting Member
After reading this thread, I checked my email and unfortunately no notification yet, however I did then go on my AFI empower account and it looks like I have been selected for an interview. Good news I suppose :). If anyone here isn't sure of their status in regards to interview or not, I would recommend checking the AFI empower website.
I saw that I'm invited for an interview as well in my Empower account but no email yet. Did you sent out an email first to ask them to schedule you for an interview or did you wait for their email?
Cuz on the website it says please wait for the email.
Thanks!!

Cody Young

Tattoo/Film Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I saw that I'm invited for an interview as well in my Empower account but no email yet. Did you sent out an email first to ask them to schedule you for an interview or did you wait for their email?
Thanks!!
I actually called the admissions office on Friday to confirm whether or not there was something I was supposed to do on my end, someone for me to call etc.. I was mostly worried it was a mistake or something like that. The admissions office told me to expect an email sometime this week, they were just waiting to finalize staff schedules for the interviews, being that the staff also teaches classes during the interview periods, they said it can get to be a bit of a backlog with interviews. I wouldn’t worry if you haven’t heard anything official, keep your eye out for an email this week though :)

WriterK90

Supporting Member
Where at on the empower site does it say you are selected for an interview? Is it when you first log in?

Cody Young

Tattoo/Film Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Click my application, then go to admissions status

Dean

Supporting Member
I actually called the admissions office on Friday to confirm whether or not there was something I was supposed to do on my end, someone for me to call etc.. I was mostly worried it was a mistake or something like that. The admissions office told me to expect an email sometime this week, they were just waiting to finalize staff schedules for the interviews, being that the staff also teaches classes during the interview periods, they said it can get to be a bit of a backlog with interviews. I wouldn’t worry if you haven’t heard anything official, keep your eye out for an email this week though :)
thanks so much for the information. Your first post was really a big relief for me. I hope this information will help more people.

Lifeisnoholiday

Yep, I got notified on 15th, too! I'll have a Skype interview on Feb 15th.
To everyone who got their interviews scheduled, congratulations! Who's going to talk to you/
To everyone who hasn't — keep your chin up! There's still time, and even if you don't make it this year.. Well, it's my second attempt, too, so eventually, everything's going to be fine =)

WriterK90

Supporting Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but, when looking back at all of the afi screenwriting applicants from 2015 - 2018, every one of them had an interview. I always assumed they interview everyone. But the notification of the interviews spanned over 3 weeks, give or take. Unless they changed it this year, or everyone on this site was just extremely lucky, I think they interview everyone. I couldn't however find solid evidence except for the google docs.

@Lifeisnoholiday Did you interview the first time you applied?

On past tracking sheets some people were denied without interview

WriterK90

Supporting Member
On past tracking sheets some people were denied without interview
For screenwriting? Some departments go by different rules so I only looked at the screenwriting section. I'll look again though.

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member

Cody Young

Tattoo/Film Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Not sure whether they interview everyone or not, but I can say that during my call to the admissions department, I was offered congratulations for being selected to interview. A sign that maybe not every applicant is interviewed perhaps? Either that or maybe this site is just really lucky with applicants and whatnot

Not sure whether they interview everyone or not, but I can say that during my call to the admissions department, I was offered congratulations for being selected to interview. A sign that maybe not every applicant is interviewed perhaps? Either that or maybe this site is just really lucky with applicants and whatnot
On the admission policies section of the AFI website, they state, "To ensure that no single viewpoint or perspective dominates the selection process, several reviewers examine each application before an admissions decision is made. If an application is reviewed positively, the applicant will be contacted for a requisite personal interview." It's impossible for us to know the percentage of applicants who are "reviewed positively", but presumably some number of applicants each year are not and are not offered an interview as a result.

American Film Institute - AFI Conservatory Admission Policies

WriterK90

Supporting Member
I saw that too. It's super vague because it feels like general info for all programs, even though they do things slightly different. I was told my application was still in review when I asked about the missing documents still showing on my account, but that could mean anything.

d890

Thanks!!
Hmmm... nope they emailed me. Having you checked your Junk or Spam folder in your email? Something these emails get randomly pulled there.... Otherwise just reach out to them, I'd say, and mention you got an interview status online but no email.

d890

I don't imagine they give everyone an interview... it wouldn't make sense, if you presume that at least a hundred of people apply, right? anyways, one can only focus on their own interview, and just try to do our best! Good luck everybody!

Latest Applications

Latest reviews