AFI Cinematography 2020

Leo86

I've been thinking a lot about the current state of the world as well with the virus. I'm currently on OPT in nyc, was planning on coming back to Manila soon but that doesn't seem to be looking too good right now. If things look good for me school wise, I might just be able to extend my current student visa without having to actually return to my own country but we'll see. This is all very stressful and I just hope everyone is safe.
What about you @bettscampo? How did it go?

Leo86

UPDATE: AFI sent the email today, GOT IN!
That's fantastic! Congratz! Are you going to accept?

These times are for sure very uncertain! I hope that the situation won't limit the curriculum or the physical/hands-on part of the education, but who knows. I haven't signed yet, but I'm going to.. the situation is very critical in my situation, especially as an international student. The economy in Norway is still declining, and the US dollar is very expensive right now. So I'm forced to sell my apartment to be able to afford AFI (not ideal right now as the real estate marked is very unstable). It has been a though decision economically.
Setting aside all the economical challenges, I might not be able to attend this year anyway, if the boarder/immigration services don't open before 1st of July. In that case, I guess they will defer me to next years enrollment. I hope so!
Challenging times for sure!

bettscampo

That's fantastic! Congratz! Are you going to accept?

These times are for sure very uncertain! I hope that the situation won't limit the curriculum or the physical/hands-on part of the education, but who knows. I haven't signed yet, but I'm going to.. the situation is very critical in my situation, especially as an international student. The economy in Norway is still declining, and the US dollar is very expensive right now. So I'm forced to sell my apartment to be able to afford AFI (not ideal right now as the real estate marked is very unstable). It has been a though decision economically.
Setting aside all the economical challenges, I might not be able to attend this year anyway, if the boarder/immigration services don't open before 1st of July. In that case, I guess they will defer me to next years enrollment. I hope so!
Challenging times for sure!
I think I will depending on if classes will be physical. I wouldn’t want to spend so much money for my time there to be spent on zoom. In that case I would also defer till the following year. For now I think I’ll commit and hopefully things will settle.

Really sorry to hear about what you have to deal with! I’m only thankful that I’m already in the US and don’t have to worry about actually immigrating. Again, it’s too soon to say so hopefully things will be better in 2 months. I can only expect new safety precautions for the film industry at least. Nothing will be the same for sure.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
UPDATE: AFI sent the email today, GOT IN!
So good! Congratulations! I got in too! Just got off waitlist!
Congrats! If you want the AFI badge and access to the private AFI forum let me know!

Tianyi Liu

Congrats! If you want the AFI badge and access to the private AFI forum let me know!

Of Course! Why now! Thank you

gocuna

Hey everyone also got in! Anyone that got in NOT from Los Angeles? How are you going about housing/where to live/roommates etc etc?

bettscampo

Hey everyone also got in! Anyone that got in NOT from Los Angeles? How are you going about housing/where to live/roommates etc etc?
Yoo congrats! I actually live in New York and the change would be wild. I’ve actually been flirting with the idea of a few of us renting a house/apartment nearby maybe (that is if you don’t already have family/prefer to live alone.) Would totally make sense since our scheds align. Let me know what you all think, just throwing it out there haha

wrongmatt

Supporting Member
AFI
Yoo congrats! I actually live in New York and the change would be wild. I’ve actually been flirting with the idea of a few of us renting a house/apartment nearby maybe (that is if you don’t already have family/prefer to live alone.) Would totally make sense since our scheds align. Let me know what you all think, just throwing it out there haha
As someone already in LA, I would highly suggest this haha. It's really tough to get a spot on your own when you first come out here. Having roommates already lined up defintitely helps you secure a spots and between a few people you can usually get something nicer than if you lived solo!

gocuna

100% I've seen dope houses with multiple rooms close enough to school. Makes perfect sense to look into it.

gocuna

As someone already in LA, I would highly suggest this haha. It's really tough to get a spot on your own when you first come out here. Having roommates already lined up defintitely helps you secure a spots and between a few people you can usually get something nicer than if you lived solo!
Yo matt what are some cool areas to live by close enough to avoid as much traffic as possible

wrongmatt

Supporting Member
AFI
Yo matt what are some cool areas to live by close enough to avoid as much traffic as possible
Los Feliz is the best area for sure. Hip part of town and close to the school. After that, Koreatown (where I am) and Hollywood are both close, but you probably won't find a 2-4bd house like you can in Los Feliz. Mostly apartments and parking will be rough. Anything beyond that will be a commute by LA standards despite the whole city only being 12mi wide lol.

Edit: Also, Hollywood kinda sucks don't live there lol

gocuna

Los Feliz is the best area for sure. Hip part of town and close to the school. After that, Koreatown (where I am) and Hollywood are both close, but you probably won't find a 2-4bd house like you can in Los Feliz. Mostly apartments and parking will be rough. Anything beyond that will be a commute by LA standards despite the whole city only being 12mi wide lol.
haha, it's insane I was there a few months ago and spent more time in traffic than in the actually places I wanted to go to.
@bettscampo I'm down for roommate let's give it a few more weeks so other people can jump on board and then get a chat going?

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• USC Cinematic Arts - Film and Television Production (MFA)
    1.00 star(s)
    Questionable Investment
    If you don’t get a scholarship to attend USC I would advise against going. It’s too much money to throw away for a school with so many problems...
    • Anonymous
  • Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    BEST use of your time!
    Thanks to professor Carl Haber I was able to learn the fundamentals of screenwriting and how to implement them. For the first time in my life, I'm...
    • pcasmur
  • UCLA TFT - Screenwriting (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    The Right Move For Me
    I have loved this program so far! For me, it was the right move. Coming from out-of-state, I learned a lot about LA and housing, but it could have...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Chicago - Department of Cinema and Media Studies
    5.00 star(s)
    In my opinion, the University of Chicago's Cinema & Media Studies program is one of the most outstanding and underrated programs out there. I...
    • jn0pe
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    I went to Emerson for my undergrad for VMA (Visual media arts, just generally the film program) and...it was a lot of fun, I certainly learned...
    • julia1