1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered. (It's free!)

AFI Directing 2018

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by alidir08, Dec 15, 2017.

1. luckypig

luckypig Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Oh and also they asked me to pitch them my next script. So you should definitely prepare that question. It seems like something they also ask everyone. Hope that helps!

• Like Like x 3
  2. IndecisiveElle

IndecisiveElle Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +377
    Sounds like it went well for you! That's great. Now the long wait till April notifications.

3. luckypig

luckypig Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Oh you never know... But fingers crossed! Good luck for your interview!

4. IndecisiveElle

IndecisiveElle Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +377
    I posted in the general 2018 applications thread with a post from a couple years ago about a forum member's experience interviewing at AFi. Here's a link in case you missed it: 2015 Interviews - Acceptances - Rejections

• Like Like x 1
  5. hellobfoan

hellobfoan New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey nh_filmmaker
    Congratulations~ Have you finished your interview yet? Could you please tell me how it went? What did they ask? Thank you so much!!!

6. nh_filmmaker

nh_filmmaker New Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I actually have my interview today! But i will let you know how it went as soon as its over!

• Like Like x 3
  7. hellobfoan

hellobfoan New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Good luck to you! I'll have mine a week later. Thank you so much. Hope it went well!

8. nh_filmmaker

nh_filmmaker New Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Interview went great! Neil and Betsy were super nice. I found out during my interview that Betsy and a past employer of mine were good friends. So that was pretty neat! It was super short, on like 25 minutes and they asked some very generic college interview questions, "Why AFI?" "What made you want to be a producer?" "How do you plan to finance your MFA?" The best thing you can do at this point is to relax and be yourself. The two interviews I've had now have been very casual. If you were granted an interview, you clearly looked like a good applicant on paper. They just want to see what you look like and have a face-to-face interaction. So take a deep breath, have fun, and best of luck!

• Congratulations! Congratulations! x 1
  9. hellobfoan

hellobfoan New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you so much. I'm pretty nervous actually and I'm gonna have an Columbia Creative Producing interview the day before AFI. Your words are really helpful. Thanks a lot! Hope we both get in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Congratulations! Congratulations! x 1
  10. Sachin Dheeraj

Sachin Dheeraj Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I almost fainted. Scored an interview for the Directing program!! Fingers Crossed!!

• Congratulations! Congratulations! x 4
  11. Zeno

Zeno Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Congrats Sachin! Best of luck!

12. Sachin Dheeraj

Sachin Dheeraj Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks a lot Zeno! Good luck to you as well. Do let me know how your interview went :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ram GM

Ram GM Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi @Sachin Dheeraj I'm interviewing on Feb 20th for the Directing program. Got the mail yesterday. Best of luck mate! Are you attending in person or through Skype?

• Congratulations! Congratulations! x 3
  14. Sachin Dheeraj

Sachin Dheeraj Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Congrats buddy! I'll be attending in person on March 9th. Good luck to you. Looking forward to hear your interview experience as well. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. azi

azi New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone. I'm still trying to figure our how this site works. Thanks for interesting interview tips. Mine is on March 5th. Very excited about the opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Zeno

Zeno Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Thanks for sharing luckypig. When I interviewed last year, they didn't ask for a pitch. So, a super useful update. Have one on March 5th too. Cont'd good luck to us all!

#56 Zeno, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  17. Shuyao Chen

Shuyao Chen New Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I'm interviewing with AFI on Feb 28th. Can I add you on WeChat?

18. Sunmin Inn

Sunmin Inn New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hey guys!

I just came back from my interview for the Directing program earlier today!

My interviewers were Peter Markham and Perry Lang.
    It was extremely chill and relaxing, but the questions came at me very sharp. I made sure that I said everything I needed to say in a conversational tone. We had a few laughs, but we had a great debate on certain films and directors that I loved, especially Korea's films and the reason for all the sex and violence. After that, we discussed my films for a good 10 - 15 minutes and talked about specific scenes. Some other subjects were about VR, my hobbies, books I read, can I afford school, etc. All in all, there were no questions that I didn't expect to be asked.

I think I did well, but you never know what the results are going to be.
    Peter did say that he had fun with the conversation and that I put him at ease right away. Perry mentioned that he very much respected that I changed my whole life to pursue a different career, so I think its a good thing!
    Anyway, I hope that was helpful to everyone else interviewing for the Directing program!
    Good luck everyone!

- Sunmin

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Sachin Dheeraj

Sachin Dheeraj Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for sharing your experience :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. eastcoaster2018

eastcoaster2018 New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Had my interview for AFI Screenwriting today with two gentlemen who were very polite and friendly. They allowed a lot of time for response, and it was much more of a "getting to know you" conversation than a deluge of questions that usually comes with job interviews. One thing I was a little unprepared for was the specificity they wanted with respect to the question of funding. For anyone else interviewing, it's important that you really know how you're going to pay for school (whether that means citing scholarships or having money saved, etc.).

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1