AFI Directing 2018

But who else applied and how are all of y'all feeling?
I interviewed on February 5, and I thought it went really well, although I don't feel I answered the question about what I want to write next perfectly. I told them about a concept I have started but not yet finished planning. They seemed a bit uncertain about it, so I briefly told them a few other things I want to write, and they seemed to like those ideas more. Maybe I'm dwelling on that too much. Overall, I felt I vibed well with the interviewers (Anna Thomas and Ed Decter) and was able to ask all the questions I have. It's my top choice - fingers crossed!

April 2 seems so close yet so far away.

hey, I'm also an international applicant for the Screenwriting program and I didn't get any email from financial aid office. I don't know why we didn't get this email

Hey Civetta,

Sachin is right. Logically, Im positive that we internationals do not qualify for financial aid. So I think that we don't need to worry too much!

- Sunmin

Haha indeed...how did your interview go by the way???? How are you feeling?
The interview went very well. They talked to me for 45 minutes or so. I am based in New York so I had to explain for about 10-12 minutes why I preferred AFI program to NYU( They really loved my reasoning. I did such a good job! LOL!) I also realized they really loved my exercise submission. How was yours? Are you also a directing applicant?

I am very stressed waiting for the result. This one thing that I'm not sure of is that, based on my conversation with the admission, I thought they only notify you on April 2nd if you are rejected or waitlisted. I thought accepted applicants will be contacted earlier. I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.

The interview went very well. They talked to me for 45 minutes or so. I am based in New York so I had to explain for about 10-12 minutes why I preferred AFI program to NYU( They really loved my reasoning. I did such a good job! LOL!) I also realized they really loved my exercise submission. How was yours? Are you also a directing applicant?

I am very stressed waiting for the result. This one thing that I'm not sure of is that, based on my conversation with the admission, I thought they only notify you on April 2nd if you are rejected or waitlisted. I thought accepted applicants will be contacted earlier. I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.

Congrats on a good interview. :)

Just thought I'd let you know - they told me all decisions are April 2, which fits with last year's pattern, where all decisions (for screenwriters and directors) were April 4.

Last edited:
Congrats on a good interview. :)

Just thought I'd let you know - they told me all decisions are April 2, which fits with last year's pattern, where all decisions (for screenwriters and directors) were April 4.

Thank you for letting me know. It's a relief. Did you apply for directing too?

No, im jus a lowly screenwriting applicant lol. My interview went extremely well, they asked me all the wuestions i thought they would ask me, but I also asked them a bunch of questions which they seemed to appreciate. The strike i have against me (but might work in my favor who knows) is that i have no prior film experience whatsoever, so what i sent for my examples are basically my first scripts . Unfortunately ima narcissist and i have the audacity to think im pretty fucking dope and they should let me in hahahaha..and if they dont, they missed out. Paradoxically im humbled that i had the opportunity, to be chosen for an interview by such a prestigious institution.

Thank you for letting me know. It's a relief. Did you apply for directing too?

No, like BlvckGods on here, I'm a screenwriter. I know this thread is labeled AFI Directing but there wasn't a screenwriting one so I kinda glommed on to here haha.

Hope we can all get in! It would be so cool if we/people on this thread ended up working together on a cycle film

looking thru previous google spreadsheet years I can only think of one person who was wait listed without an interview to AFI directing. Can you guys think of anyone who was wait listed or accepted without an interview?

Their website and materials specifically say an interview is required for acceptance, but that doesn't mean you can't get waitlisted as you saw on the spreadsheet. I didn't follow the AFI threads very well the last few years I've been active on these forums though so I can't speak to any anecdotal information that might be different than the official published AFI info.

No, im jus a lowly screenwriting applicant lol. My interview went extremely well, they asked me all the wuestions i thought they would ask me, but I also asked them a bunch of questions which they seemed to appreciate. The strike i have against me (but might work in my favor who knows) is that i have no prior film experience whatsoever, so what i sent for my examples are basically my first scripts . Unfortunately ima narcissist and i have the audacity to think im pretty fucking dope and they should let me in hahahaha..and if they dont, they missed out. Paradoxically im humbled that i had the opportunity, to be chosen for an interview by such a prestigious institution.
The
No, like BlvckGods on here, I'm a screenwriter. I know this thread is labeled AFI Directing but there wasn't a screenwriting one so I kinda glommed on to here haha.

Hope we can all get in! It would be so cool if we/people on this thread ended up working together on a cycle film
Fingers Crossed!

It is a courageous act that you applied with no prior experience. Wish you good luck!

Just got an email saying I was accepted into the AFI Directing program! Hope good news for all still waiting to hear back from them!

Just got an email saying I was accepted into the AFI Directing program for the class of! Hope good news for all still waiting to hear back from them!
I saw! Congratulations!!
it's a no for me but honestly I've known in my gut for a while that the Chapman program better fits my needs. So although my ego is a little bruised (and really, it shouldn't be, it's rare to interview, let alone get in to AFI the first application like you did) I know that I'm better off for not having to make the hard choice.

I saw! Congratulations!!
it's a no for me but honestly I've known in my gut for a while that the Chapman program better fits my needs. So although my ego is a little bruised (and really, it shouldn't be, it's rare to interview, let alone get in to AFI the first application like you did) I know that I'm better off for not having to make the hard choice.
Frankly, getting to the interview stage is a big deal. Period. Truth be told, I didn't get that at NYU, UT Austin, or UCLA. Thought I'd get one at UCLA this year so that dinged my ego too. It's really a subjective process at a certain level -- for us and them. And it's probably fate that you got into the program that best fits your needs. I'd say Columbia and AFI are the better fit for me, rather than the aforementioned, and I'm lucky I got accepted this time. Frankly, your own hutzpah is really most of you getting a lot out of these programs, no matter the facade of prestige or attributes offered. Congrats again and wish you all the best!

Last edited:
Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back