AFI Directing 2020 "A Secret"

Leo86

I don’t think any cinematographer has been contacted yet, the deadline for cinematography was January 15 and for the letters of recommendation they had until January 27. To my understanding that’s when they begin to review the applications. The deadline for directors and screenwriters was December 1st so directors and screenwriters should technically be contacted before anyone else.
Hey! I believe the first interview invitations were sent Jan 31 for Cinematography applicants. That's at least the first dates I've seen in here. I got mine 31st. Deadline was originally Dec 1, but a week or two later they stretched it to Jan 15.
Anyway, I saw that someone wrote that they will send out invitations throughout February. It looks as if it is an organic process that is ongoing, so don't loose hope :)

amcracken

Hey all 🤩

I hope everyone did well in their interview. Does anyone know around what time we should hear back about being admitted or not? I forgot to ask 💔

jioh

Columbia
OK, I have just finished my interview. @amcracken I asked it to Giovanni, and he said that they will notify on March 13th. Whoooa! So finally it is all done.

amcracken

OK, I have just finished my interview. @amcracken I asked it to Giovanni, and he said that they will notify on March 13th. Whoooa! So finally it is all done.
Wonderful! How did you feel about the interview? Who did you interview with?

Thank you for asking Giovanni. That’s a little less than a month! Ah. I will try to distract myself until then.

jioh

Columbia
@amcracken You know, I had another school interview just last week, and it was ten minutes long and was a totally rigid atmosphere. This was my first interview and my tremendous pressure for speaking in English made me stammer AF. I talked with the school faculty and my voice trembled as a person standing in the middle of 7.0 earthquake or something. So I was very, very worried for this interview too, but fortunately, as you know, it was relatively comfortable. I briefly talked with Giovanni first and had an interview with a Alumnus and a Head of Directing discipline. It was about 45 minutes in total. They threw me tons of questions and I was kinda panic (as usual) to translate my answer from Korean to English in my head, although it was all normal, general questions about my narrative statement, my job before, what I am doing recently and etc. Then they brought up about my submission film, and told both compliments and criticism. It was an amazing experience anyway, having review from them. So far, I have literally just finished the interview and I am going to take time to retrace the conversation after cool down. I will organize my questions and write here soon. How was yours?

amcracken

@amcracken You know, I had another school interview just last week, and it was ten minutes long and was a totally rigid atmosphere. This was my first interview and my tremendous pressure for speaking in English made me stammer AF. I talked with the school faculty and my voice trembled as a person standing in the middle of 7.0 earthquake or something. So I was very, very worried for this interview too, but fortunately, as you know, it was relatively comfortable. I briefly talked with Giovanni first and had an interview with a Alumnus and a Head of Directing discipline. It was about 45 minutes in total. They threw me tons of questions and I was kinda panic (as usual) to translate my answer from Korean to English in my head, although it was all normal, general questions about my narrative statement, my job before, what I am doing recently and etc. Then they brought up about my submission film, and told both compliments and criticism. It was an amazing experience anyway, having review from them. So far, I have literally just finished the interview and I am going to take time to retrace the conversation after cool down. I will organize my questions and write here soon. How was yours?
Aw I’m sure you did great! I am rooting for you! I hope it all works out.

My interview flew by! It was around 45 minutes of just talking about my two films and the type of films I want to make. They had questions about my topic film, a few things they were confused by. And I clarified and discussed it for a bit.Then they asked if I had a feature idea! That took me by surprise, but I tried my best to answer it.

We just now hope for the best! I’m glad it’s over and now we wait. Again I hope you get in. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
Congrats on being waitlisted!

If you want the AFI badge and private AFI forum access (it was quite busy last year) see this thread here:

jioh

Columbia
Another waitlist here! In my case, since the Fulbright scholarship manager applied to AFI on behalf of me, the decision notification for me is expected to go to the manager's e-mail, so I had just called them a few minutes ago. Did everybody all get the mail?

Last edited:

jioh

Columbia
I am slightly guessing maybe the decision has been delayed to all directing applicants? Although it is only four of us, it seems all applicants are waitlisted in here and no one has been accepted yet, including Applications Tracker Page.

amcracken

Yes AFI was my first choice. Is it yours too? Do you guys have any idea of how many people get usually waitlisted each year? Just to have an idea of the possibilities to get in..
I have no clue what the chances are. And yes, also my first choice. I actually didn’t have time to apply to other grad schools.

I’m sure some applicants will choose their first choices over AFI, so if that happens — then AFI will call those on the wait list. I’m sure there’s also a ranking for those on the waitlist. Who knows!

What bums me out is the fact that we might not get a shot at some scholarships, if we’re on the waitlist for too long. That’s hard.

jioh

Columbia
Congrats on being waitlisted!

If you want the AFI badge and private AFI forum access (it was quite busy last year) see this thread here:

@Chris W If you don't mind, could you remove the badge below my ID for a while? I'm just waitlisted... 😅I will tell you if I am admitted off the waitlist. Thank you tho!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
@Chris W If you don't mind, could you remove the badge below my ID for a while? I'm just waitlisted... 😅I will tell you if I am admitted off the waitlist. Thank you tho!
Sure. No prob. Since other waitlisted peeps wanted access to the private forums before.

Latest Classifieds

Featured Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• UCLA TFT - Screenwriting (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    The Right Move For Me
    I have loved this program so far! For me, it was the right move. Coming from out-of-state, I learned a lot about LA and housing, but it could have...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Chicago - Department of Cinema and Media Studies
    5.00 star(s)
    In my opinion, the University of Chicago's Cinema & Media Studies program is one of the most outstanding and underrated programs out there. I...
    • jn0pe
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    I went to Emerson for my undergrad for VMA (Visual media arts, just generally the film program) and...it was a lot of fun, I certainly learned...
    • julia1
  • Temple University - School of Theater, Film and Media Arts
    4.00 star(s)
    I graduated in 2013 and know several recent graduates ( 2017-2019 classes) as well. My personal and their related experiences are the basis for...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Rochester - Film and Media Studies Program
    5.00 star(s)
    I graduated from UofR with a double major in Film and Media Studies and Economics. My experiences at Rochester really shaped my filmmaking career...
    • dkimg21