AFI Fellows - 2008

Eliya,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. You should begin working on funds now and re-apply to AFI (Applications open up in a few months) as soon as possible.

I'm sure you will get accepted again, and this time you will be ready with the funds available.

J, Congratulations on your acceptance! Which discipline will you be joining? I will be in Paris July 18th and 19th. Let me know if you would like to grab a cup of coffee.

For everybody else, looking forward to meeting you in August.

Thanks, Bandar!
I'll have the honor to study screenwriting (so excited!)
Other than that, I'd love to grab coffee when you come to Paris. Feel free to PM me so we can arrange it.

Hey everyone, i know it's late in the game but I was just wondering what everyone's housing situation was for the 08-08 year? anyone still in need of a roommate, cause I can cook! Unless your a head case.

Anayat- Screen writing Fellow

Not sure if anyone is paying attention to these forums anymore...but I was just wondering if any other incoming Screenwriting fellows feel like they just stepped in **** after seeing the Intranet calender.

There are NO screenwriting courses beginning until september 30th, and at that point it's only 2 classes. The rest of the courses are more or less production/crewing classes, which further the impression we all got from the start that screenwriters are not much more than grips at AFI. I mean, I didn't believe it at first, but the more I learn the worse it gets.

I emailed the program coordinator with my concerns and all he said was "The screenwriting faculty is discussing potential workshops for 1st year screenwriters during September. Next week, there will be an update on the schedule."

Ugh, I'm gonna barf.

My editing fellow roommate got that schedule today, it's effing crazy. It's a shame to hear that the rumors seem true at this point, and I hope the reality proves otherwise.

I'll be at the meet and greet tomorrow, by the way...

Second Year here...

Just in response to the issue with there not being enough Screenwriting specific classes... Yes! I do agree that they are thin, but there are quite a few strong elements there. The story seminars with the senior faculty are great and offer some of the most beneficial new perspectives on writing that I got all year.

Additionally, you should be spending a lot of time in meetings getting your first cycle project together. There are some great opportunities there, and the story meetings with the mentors can really push you to become a more thoughtful and stronger writer. Every script can be improved, but it requires a lot of work.

No doubt, there are a lot of general orientation events that seem pretty useless, and some of them are actually pretty useless, but others do push you to actually consider the implications of your writing on the production. You might have done a lot of lighting or found locations in the past, but not everyone has and there is a certain level of catching people up.

As far as classes go, the Boot Camp shoots will keep you pretty busy and there is a reason that the Editors and Cinematographers need to have classes before then. Their jobs are so much more technical that they need to get things going out before the Boot Camp scenes are shot.

Also, this is obvious, but deserves to be stated. You get out what you put in. And you'll only become a grip if you allow yourself to become a grip.

As for starting class on Sept. 30, this is really true of the whole first year class. Boot Camp is not the entirety of the year, it is something separate. There is certainly some time wasted there, but I suggest you use it to figure out what you want to do for your first-year feature.

Oh man, thanks for the insights!

Obviously, it's difficult to gauge what a weird program like this will be like beforehand. I spoke with Mike Ellis today, who was in AFI's screenwriting class of '89 and he spoke very highly of the program, the pool of resources it provides, and the benefits of the peer and faculty review/feedback, all of which are the good things I anticipated.

He also agreed that yes, a certain amount of (the screenwriters') time is wasted in boot camp and cycle productions. But I knew this, and accepted when I decided to enter the program. I only became concerned really after seeing that stupid calender with no screenwriting classes on it.

Anyways, I'll give it a whirl, but might still re-apply to UCLA for next year. ;) Just to be safe.

Oh yeah, and what's the deal with the thesis films? They're all under 30 minutes? Are they part of a feature length script or are they just short films?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thesis films are just short films with relatively high budgets made by second year students. Some seem to want their story to be something that can be adapted to feature length cleanly, others just do standalone pieces.

As a screenwriter, you do not have to be involved with them at all and can choose to write two features your second year instead. You won't have to make that decision until late in the spring semester, either way.

Personally, I am not doing a thesis. But there are many writers that I respect who are.

@ pintobeans

Don't settle. If you're not satisfied with the effort to help you learn, then do something about it. Make AFI do something or leave.

You're paying the tuition. It's your career.

Don't let prestige blind you.

Pinto,

Classes haven't begun yet. I'd say wait a little before jumping to conclusions.

The schedule is hectic when we start. The first day we pair into teams of Screenwriter/Producer/Director and flesh out a short screenplay (that you will write) which the Director will direct.

Then after the cycle 1 screenplay is complete, you begin regular screenwriting workshop classes. I don't know what more you'd expect right off the bat?

Bandar
Directing Fellow

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back