1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered.
  2. Did you go to film school for undergrad? Please review the school on our Film School review system. (You can review anonymously)
    Dismiss Notice

AFI MFA Screenwriters 2018

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by bigdubs, Mar 18, 2018.

1. bigdubs

bigdubs Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi all! New to these forum and didn't see a specific space for the AFI screenwriting applicants waiting for a decision to come in the next few weeks. Thought we could count down to April 2nd together (then hopefully celebrate together).

• Like Like x 5
  2. zinala

zinala Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Right here with you. Who did you interview with?

3. bigdubs

bigdubs Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hey! I interviewed with Anna Thomas and Ed Dector. I see you're applying to other places. What's your first choice?

• Like Like x 1
  4. zinala

zinala Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Nice! It's hard to say...really depends on the financial situation. I think in a perfect world, it'd be AFI. Is AFI the only place you've applied?

• Like Like x 1
  5. bigdubs

bigdubs Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Yeah, only applied to AFI. I figured go big or go home :) But you're right about the $$$$ - it's gonna hurt.

6. BlvckGods

BlvckGods Super Saiyan Jedi Master

Ratings:
    +15
    Yoooooooooo how was yall interview tho? My interview was with Anna Thomas and Kevin Kennedy

7. bigdubs

bigdubs Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +37
    The interview was cool. Everyone was super friendly. They asked the usual - how am I going to pay, favorite screenwriters, what do I want to write if I get in, etc. I asked a few questions.

Your avatar is everything btw.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BlvckGods

Ratings:
    +15
    I love Goodtimes, a bit stereotypical but i love it. I asked ALOT of questions but it was good vibes the whole interview. I dont have a film background so they were very interested in that, what about you?

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigdubs

bigdubs Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I have some film and tv production experience from grad school (many moons ago)- but played it "safe" by working as a news writer/producer after graduation to get a paycheck and insurance. :) But I figure it's never too late to pursue your passion - better than wondering "what if" for the rest of your life.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BlvckGods

Ratings:
    +15
    You and me both..im so humbled that i have the opportunity to follow my dreams, hopefully

• Like Like x 2
  11. zinala

zinala Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I can relate. Just graduated in August with a BA in production. I’m currently working as a PA for a local news station, and as a legal videographer.

My wife and I had our first child around the time I graduated as well. So, I’m nowhere near stable career-wise (at a time when I really need to be), but this is the only thing that has ever felt right to me. I feel like I’ve found my place, and I’m motivated to do whatever it takes to succeed.

• Like Like x 3
  12. bigdubs

bigdubs Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Congrats on the baby!! An exciting time for you right now. Yeah, working in news seemed to be the way to use my tv/film production degree that still seemed "responsible". I have two kids - so already feeling torn about all the time AFI is going to require, but I feel it's what I'm meant to do. I'll just figure it out.

Whatever the fuck it takes!" - quote from one of my FAVORITE movies, Win Win

• Like Like x 1
  13. zinala

zinala Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Thank you, it's a life changing experience. My face actually hurt for the first couple of months because my face wasn't used to smiling as intensely/often.

Great attitude. I'm hoping for the best for everyone. Trying not to think about admissions, but it gets harder and harder as the date approaches.

14. Teddy

Teddy Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Hey, thanks for starting this thread. I've kinda been a squatter on the Directing one lol.
    I also interviewed with Anna Thomas and Ed Decter.
    AFI's my top choice so I can't wait for April 2, although I'm trying not to think about it too much. Nothing we can do at this point.
    Best of luck to everybody! :)

15. zinala

zinala Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Were your script samples discussed at all? I don’t think a word was said about mine. I’m kind of worried about that.

16. Teddy

Teddy Member

Ratings:
    +12
    They didn't ask a direct question about mine either. I did talk about it a bit though when answering a question about what I want to write next.

17. zinala

zinala Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Same experience here. I wonder when application materials are critically analyzed before or after the interview?

I had an interview for another school, and I’m pretty sure my application hadn’t been reviewed beforehand. However, I think this school interviews everyone who applies.

Anyone else not have their script samples discussed? Maybe they aren’t read by interviewers beforehand.

#17 zinala, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  18. civetta

civetta Member

Ratings:
    +24
    yeah, they haven't asked me about my application materials either but were eager to discuss my previous script, they even knew the title :) but I'm a little worried that they haven't asked me about my ideas for next scripts.

19. bigdubs

bigdubs Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +37
    We didn't really talk about it until I was literally getting up to leave. It was just a quick "Oh, loved your scripts btw" kind of thing and they quoted a couple of things I wrote that stood out to them. That was it. Felt more like a "chemistry" test - did my personality fit the cohort they were putting together.

20. bigdubs

bigdubs Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Does anyone know how many people applied/interviewed this year? Everything I've seen is pretty vague.