AFI MFA Screenwriters 2018

Hey guys!! Congrats to everyone else who also got in! I couldn't help but notice that a lot of you guys only applied to AFI (and not USC, UCLA, or NYU) and was curious what the thought process behind that had been for y'all?

I'm currently a bit torn between UCLA and AFI and have been trying to get all the info I can about each!

bigdubs

Hey guys!! Congrats to everyone else who also got in! I couldn't help but notice that a lot of you guys only applied to AFI (and not USC, UCLA, or NYU) and was curious what the thought process behind that had been for y'all?

I'm currently a bit torn between UCLA and AFI and have been trying to get all the info I can about each!
I only applied to AFI because 1) of its reputation 2) I live nearby 3) I preferred the "boot camp" conservatory approach

civetta

i like AFI because it’s a film school, not a program at the university, and the opportunities to collaborate with fellows from other disciplines.

civetta

BlvckGods

Super Saiyan Jedi Master

I applied to AFI because f**k USC ;)

mistah_P

Congrats to all accepteds!

Did anyone get any scholarship money with their offer? I'm looking to apply next year, and couldn't find any real info about average financial aid package, not to what percentage of the student population they are given out.

ShiDi

Hey guys,
Fellow accepted screenwriter here. I didn’t find this forum until after I got accepted - would have been great to have all the mutual support here during the excruciating waiting period. I’m a working producer who’s hoping to switch gear into writing. Great to meet you all!

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
Hey guys,
Fellow accepted screenwriter here. I didn’t find this forum until after I got accepted - would have been great to have all the mutual support here during the excruciating waiting period. I’m a working producer who’s hoping to switch gear into writing. Great to meet you all!
Welcome to the site! Be sure to join the AFI group!

bigdubs

Hey guys,
Awesome! Welcome. There's a private group for everyone accepted. It's slowly growing. Join us :)

Scyther

Congrats on the baby!! An exciting time for you right now. Yeah, working in news seemed to be the way to use my tv/film production degree that still seemed "responsible". I have two kids - so already feeling torn about all the time AFI is going to require, but I feel it's what I'm meant to do. I'll just figure it out.

Whatever the fuck it takes!" - quote from one of my FAVORITE movies, Win Win
Whoa! Just catching up here. I also have two kids. One was born two months ago today. We might have to start an AFI daycare at this rate!!!!! (Joking not joking) Good to know I won’t be the only exhausted parent.

Scyther

Hey guys,
Are you in LA?

zinala

Hey everyone. I'm caught in a tricky situation. A spot opened up for me in the Screenwriting program, but I've already paid my deposit to Emerson. As I understand it, you can't see your financial aid package for AFI until the $1000 deposit has been paid. I submitted a scholarship application, surely they wouldn't have awarded scholarships to those who weren't accepted initially?

sharkb8

iAmB84AshRk
Hey everyone. I'm caught in a tricky situation. A spot opened up for me in the Screenwriting program, but I've already paid my deposit to Emerson. As I understand it, you can't see your financial aid package for AFI until the $1000 deposit has been paid. I submitted a scholarship application, surely they wouldn't have awarded scholarships to those who weren't accepted initially?
Let's say you're paying sticker price at AFI (no scholarship) vs. Your current set up at Emerson. Which would you choose?

bigdubs

First - congratulations!!! For confirmation, you should contact AFI. I believe admitted fellows were notified of their scholarship/financial aid status about a week after the acceptance emails went out - before the deposit was due. So, maybe there's some unclaimed funds floating around from those who passed on AFI. Hope it works out.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• International Film Institute of New York
    5.00 star(s)
    The summer intensive film program at Sarah Lawrence was fantastic. We were taught by industry professionals, whom had many years of experience...
    • Ldc88
    5.00 star(s)
    I experienced the most incredible summer at IFI, and I wish I could relive it every day! however, since I cannot , I make do by taking what I...
    • Anonymous
    5.00 star(s)
    I have been engaged with filmmaking since the age of 9 and was searching for a course that could further my knoll which is not always easy to...
    • sgabor
    5.00 star(s)
    The Sarah Lawrence Filmmaker's Collective was the top experience I've had at a summer film program. Start to finish, their top priority was that...
    • sammaggs
    5.00 star(s)
    I went into this camp uncertain of what I wanted to do in college. When I finished the five week intensive program, I knew what I wanted to do for...
    • JacobNurse