AFI Producing 2019

I have declined admission before the deposit deadline, but received an email yesterday that AFI will offer me a 10k/year scholarship and asked whether that would change my decision. I am going to decline the offer and I'm hoping that the amount goes to someone else. I think the conversation I had with the admissions office regarding financial aid had an effect.
Apparently they seem to have some funds available now!

don't just give up yet. S

don't just give up yet, see if they will allow you to defer for a year and you can maybe use that time to get more money??
The problem is: even in a year, it is quite impossible to secure such an amount. I mean for an international applicant, you'll have to secure around 178K (tuition fees, equipment, room, living expenses, etc.)... You'll have to get like 100 scholarships! This is insane!

I'm sorry to hear that ☹. But just like Yisiling said you can try asking for a deferral. And in the meanwhile actively communicate with Jill Murrin that you are eager to attend but struggling with funding. You might be able to receive some scholarship when someone who has been awarded scholarship declines their admission offer.
I hope everything sorts out for you.
Even if I get their approval, where can I get 178K within a year to cover my 2-year tuition fees, living expenses, equipment, etc.? It is quite impossible even if I apply to many scholarships: with 1500 USD per scholarship it's gonna take a while to secure the whole amount. Pfff.... Kind of frustrating

I have declined admission before the deposit deadline, but received an email yesterday that AFI will offer me a 10k/year scholarship and asked whether that would change my decision. I am going to decline the offer and I'm hoping that the amount goes to someone else. I think the conversation I had with the admissions office regarding financial aid had an effect.
Apparently they seem to have some funds available now!
I am curious. If I may ask: why didn't you ask for a deferral (cos you advised me to do so) so you can get the rest of the amount within the upcoming year?

I am curious. If I may ask: why didn't you ask for a deferral (cos you advised me to do so) so you can get the rest of the amount within the upcoming year?

I'm not @Yuk, but that's never stopped me opening my mouth before: according to his applications, he accepted Columbia Creative Producing's program, which is why he turned down AFI completely, rather than deffered them. Here's his comment that he put on his application:

Hey I don't know why I missed this!
Columbia offered me a good amount of scholarship which other schools didn't.
I also like their program structure where I can take directing screenwriting classes with students from other programs. This is something that I really wanted.
And if I end up coming back to my country after the program, I would prefer an institution with high name value (not just for film).
These three factors all added up to my decision.

I'm not @Yuk, but that's never stopped me opening my mouth before: according to his applications, he accepted Columbia Creative Producing's program, which is why he turned down AFI completely, rather than deffered them. Here's his comment that he put on his application:
@Septopus7 ??. Thanks for ur reply. That's good. I mean at least @Yuk 's plan B worked out.

@Septopus7 and @Pickled_6 does AFI allow deferral? Very few grad schools do, that I know of.

I have no idea either (nothing on the website mentions it), but my guess would be no as well, for much the same reason many other programs do not: they are specifically building a class of applicants who they think (or hope) can work together, has unique and complimentary skills, and who fit what they need in building a class. Just because someone fits the profile of what the school needs that year, doesn't mean they will fit in the future (sadly.) With AFI being such a collab heavy program, my guess is that's especially important for them.

I have no idea either (nothing on the website mentions it), but my guess would be no as well, for much the same reason many other programs do not: they are specifically building a class of applicants who they think (or hope) can work together, has unique and complimentary skills, and who fit what they need in building a class. Just because someone fits the profile of what the school needs that year, doesn't mean they will fit in the future (sadly.) With AFI being such a collab heavy program, my guess is that's especially important for them.
Yeah that was my thought. I know NYU and USC both don’t allow deferral. I don’t think UCLA does either, so I’d be surprised if AFI did. But you never know. :)

Come to think of it what you said is very reasonable.

Yeah that was my thought. I know NYU and USC both don’t allow deferral. I don’t think UCLA does either, so I’d be surprised if AFI did. But you never know. :)
Besides if they allow one deferral they would also have to allow many others. Maybe a deferral could be allowed in a major situation (death, illness, etc.)

Hey all! We’re doing another meetup on 8/24 if anyone is available and in LA.

To those that applied last year.... Be sure to update your application in the Film School Application database with as much info as you can.

See this example application to see how you can fully utilize the system:

The more data the better to help future applicants. Thank you! ?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back