AFI Screenwriting 2020 "An Encounter"

sarahkwUT

Le sigh. I've got a recommender that STILL hasn't submitted despite multiple requests. Here's to hoping the message I sent a few minutes ago is the one that kicks her into gear - would hate to have my app rejected over ONE recommendation. I think this is one of my stronger apps!

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
BU
Le sigh. I've got a recommender that STILL hasn't submitted despite multiple requests. Here's to hoping the message I sent a few minutes ago is the one that kicks her into gear - would hate to have my app rejected over ONE recommendation. I think this is one of my stronger apps!
That wouldn't be fun. I hope it all works out soon.

mjweerts

Have they come through for you yet? The stress of that would drive me insane.

sarahkwUT

Have they come through for you yet? The stress of that would drive me insane.
Yes! She had taken a quick weekend trip, but it turned out AFI had also spelled her name incorrectly so we had to work that out. All is well! Save for the part where all my friends are finding out about their Grad School programs now through early January and I'm all "I'll let you know between late February and late April." ha!

mjweerts

Yes! She had taken a quick weekend trip, but it turned out AFI had also spelled her name incorrectly so we had to work that out. All is well! Save for the part where all my friends are finding out about their Grad School programs now through early January and I'm all "I'll let you know between late February and late April." ha!
Great news! And I agree, the wait is rough.

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
BU

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
BU
Just noticed the earliest notification and decision date is December for directing.

That has to be a fluke or someone entered it in wrong. Everything else for AFI is February or March.
They must have fixed it after the article was written because I'm not seeing it in the database.... Anyone else see it?

https://www.filmschool.org/applications/?order=scf_IntNotifDate&direction=desc&scf[School][0]=AFIDirecting&page=1

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
BU
Yeah it's not there anymore...

These are now the correct dates:

AFI - Directing
See 2015 data

See 2016 data

See 2017 data

See 2018 data

See 2019 data

Either I did a typo originally or someone fixed their application. I'm thinking the later.

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
BU
It’s happening people! Just got an email to set up an interview.
Awesome! Congrats! Be sure to update your application with the dates and to change the prefix to interview scheduled. :)

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
BU
While you're waiting to hear back from your your film programs consider writing reviews with pros and cons to each program you are applying to. It's a great way to weigh the pros and cons of each one to help you decide where to go. It's also a great way for us to improve the rankings on our site.

You can review based on online research and/or a tour. It can be anonymous. You DON'T have to be a current student or alumni to review a school.

See this new article:

How to Write a Film School Review and Why You Should

How to Write a Film School Review and Why You Should

You don’t have to be a current student or an alum to write a review for a film school! Whether you’re an applicant, interested student, faculty member, current student, or alum, we want to hear from you. Are you currently wondering, “Which film schools should I apply to?” One of the most...

Last edited:

Latest Applications

Latest reviews