AFI Screenwriting 2020 "An Encounter"

Good luck! QUOTE="Memz, post: 172973, member: 19700"]
Good luck! :)

I have my interview today, with Anna Thomas and Gabrielle Kelly. I just watched a TED Talk by Ms. Kelly on the development of the Asian film market. It was really interesting. I will let you all know how it goes. Good luck to everyone else who is interviewing, and has interviewed. I hope we all get it.

I have my interview today, with Anna Thomas and Gabrielle Kelly. I just watched a TED Talk by Ms. Kelly on the development of the Asian film market. It was really interesting. I will let you all know how it goes. Good luck to everyone else who is interviewing, and has interviewed. I hope we all get it.
I have no idea how I did, but I can tell you all that I really enjoyed the interview, and I second what other people said about its conversational nature. We talked about films we liked, and they asked me about my work. We talked for about half an hour. Again, best of luck with all of your applications.

Yes. So one of each discipline teams together to make a film. So one director, producer, writer, editor, dp, and production designer (if you’re lucky). When you initiate it’s your idea and you pick the team

Hi, I have a question for you :)
You say that the ones that initiate gets to pick their team, but how do they know who to choose? Is it based on connections made during bootcamp, or do people from different disciplines present themselves? Or express a wish that they want to work on their project? I'm curious how it works!

Hi, I have a question for you :)
You say that the ones that initiate gets to pick their team, but how do they know who to choose? Is it based on connections made during bootcamp, or do people from different disciplines present themselves? Or express a wish that they want to work on their project? I'm curious how it works!

You pitch and then people express interest in working with you. When you’re not the one initiating you express interest for why you’re good for the project.

You pitch and then people express interest in working with you. When you’re not the one initiating you express interest for why you’re good for the project.

Ok, so if I understand this right: All students from all discipline sits in a large room. One by one from the decline that is initiating for that cycle gets up, pitches their project and then all the people from the different discipline that is attracted to the idea raises a hand, gets up and express their interest and why they should be a part of the project? Does it all happened at once? And do the ones that is initiating pick out their team there and then based on the interested?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just curios. I know nothing about how it works in details. :)

Hey what did they tell you guys with regards to the decision notification date? They told me 13th OR 16th, which is frustrating cause it means not being able to relax all Friday and then potentially having to wait all of the freaking weekend if it doesn't come through?

Last edited:
They told me the same thing! So I'm sitting on paying my deposit to USC while I wait. I've perhaps checked their portal thing a billion times in the last week though, just in case there is any hint...

In my interview, Anna Thomas told me the 13th, during business hours, with no mention of the 16th, and I believe I had one of the last interviews? I had never heard of the 16th until logging into this site this morning, so maybe the 13th solidified as they went along?

In my interview, Anna Thomas told me the 13th, during business hours, with no mention of the 16th, and I believe I had one of the last interviews? I had never heard of the 16th until logging into this site this morning, so maybe the 13th solidified as they went along?

Oh okay, cool. Let's go with that theory - 13th it is!

Damn... so might be until Monday. :( Would you prefer AFI over USC?

I honestly don't know. I was "USC or bust!" until I interviewed with AFI. Ed Decker in particular made me really want to go there. I figure I'll wait for a verdict, then choose. Some of it will come down to financial aid packages, but I want to write more for TV than movies, so it'll also be where I get the best opportunity to do that.

When you guys interviewed did you have a situation where one professor asked more than the other? Lol now I’m overthinking it😂

I had more of a conversation with Ed than Gabrielle, for sure. He made me want to come to AFI based on his feedback on my submission and a discussion around a book that reminded him of what I submitted that happened to have read back in high school. I did have a good exchange with Gabrielle as well though - and really would love to take her class based on what we discussed.

So all that to say - don't overthink it!

I had more of a conversation with Ed than Gabrielle, for sure. He made me want to come to AFI based on his feedback on my submission and a discussion around a book that reminded him of what I submitted that happened to have read back in high school. I did have a good exchange with Gabrielle as well though - and really would love to take her class based on what we discussed.

So all that to say - don't overthink it!

thanks, that makes me feel better! I feel like because it’s nearer to the date I’m getting nervous haha. Also, I don’t know if you have the same on your portal, but under financial aid awards i have approved loans? Idk if anyone else has that too.

thanks, that makes me feel better! I feel like because it’s nearer to the date I’m getting nervous haha. Also, I don’t know if you have the same on your portal, but under financial aid awards i have approved loans? Idk if anyone else has that too.

I have approved loans have well, have since last week. Trying not to read too much into it though!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back