AFI Screenwriting 2020 "An Encounter"

That might be a factor..

I am a little taken aback honestly. From previous years threads, and knowing people who have been accepted to AFI or similar schools, there is usually some sort of financial support in the form of scholarships. At least 5-10k a year. Did not expect 0 dollars.

That said, with whats going on and my sweet GBP savings taking a crazy plunge (its the lowest its been against the dollar since 1985), this may just be another sign I need to wait a year. Just hurts a little after all this work.

That might be a factor..

I am a little taken aback honestly. From previous years threads, and knowing people who have been accepted to AFI or similar schools, there is usually some sort of financial support in the form of scholarships. At least 5-10k a year. Did not expect 0 dollars.

That said, with whats going on and my sweet GBP savings taking a crazy plunge (its the lowest its been against the dollar since 1985), this may just be another sign I need to wait a year. Just hurts a little after all this work.
Same here! No scholarship for me as well and I'm international (with a weeeeak currency lol). I was shocked but I'm no longer taking it too hard. Everything will fall into place when it's supposed to. The good thing is we know that the quality of our work is strong enough to be selected amongst many! :)

That might be a factor..

I know the feeling, this is my second application cycle. It’s disheartening. This is probably not the greatest advice but you could consider pay the deposit and see if you get any scholarships in the summer. It’s risky but tuition isn’t due until July, and a lot could happen till then. People might drop out and their money could transfer?

I know the feeling, this is my second application cycle. It’s disheartening. This is probably not the greatest advice but you could consider pay the deposit and see if you get any scholarships in the summer. It’s risky but tuition isn’t due until July, and a lot could happen till then. People might drop out and their money could transfer?

I've thought about it. But not sure how long I could wait. As I live in London I need a bit of time to organize a move. I'd feel kinda bad also risking someone else's chances of attending via the waitlist by waiting until the last second just hoping for some sort of miracle... a lot to consider. Anyways, I am almost past the grief part at this point haha and moving towards acceptance. Need to think positively here. At least we got in! Things will work out for all of us, eventually..

I've thought about it. But not sure how long I could wait. As I live in London I need a bit of time to organize a move. I'd feel kinda bad also risking someone else's chances of attending via the waitlist by waiting until the last second just hoping for some sort of miracle... a lot to consider. Anyways, I am almost past the grief part at this point haha and moving towards acceptance. Need to think positively here. At least we got in! Things will work out for all of us, eventually..

That’s true. I’m sure everything will work out, like you said. It’s hard being international, and I’m sorry for all the extra burden. Especially with the coronavirus, I think it’s putting a strain on everything even more.

I wonder whether the current uncertainty has had an impact. I got a scholarship, sure it was smaller than I would have liked, but now realise it may have been on the higher end. Grateful nonetheless - but overall costs still pricy.

When I interviewed, they were pretty clear that they had limited scholarship money - it was the admissions part of the interview where she encouraged me to go ahead and reach out to financial aid versus wait. I had already submitted my FAFSA though so there wasn't much else to do at that point.

It's just such an odd time though. I'm on day 4 of self-quarantine/working from home and I've FaceTimed/talked on the phone to more people in 4 days than I have in a year. Consistently reminding myself this isn't forever!

I’m a bartender at two different bars in NYC and just lost both paychecks due to the mandated closures, so money is becoming a real issue for me right now. But I’m also kind of afraid if I turn AFI down now and wait another year I won’t get back into AFI... or possibly anywhere 😐

I’m a bartender at two different bars in NYC and just lost both paychecks due to the mandated closures, so money is becoming a real issue for me right now. But I’m also kind of afraid if I turn AFI down now and wait another year I won’t get back into AFI... or possibly anywhere 😐

Man, I am so sorry. That must be incredibly stressful. I hope relief funds will come through for everyone affected soon.

I got a small scholarship. I'm grateful for it but surely they're missing a 0? lol. Still no word from USC, but I've accepted that I'll need to basically sell my soul regardless of where I go.

I felt the same ha. Super grateful as in South African currency the small scholarship is a lot of money - but the fees are significantly more - and no banks this side will give out loans to foreign studies.

After the pitching pr
Ok, so if I understand this right: All students from all discipline sits in a large room. One by one from the decline that is initiating for that cycle gets up, pitches their project and then all the people from the different discipline that is attracted to the idea raises a hand, gets up and express their interest and why they should be a part of the project? Does it all happened at once? And do the ones that is initiating pick out their team there and then based on the interested?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just curios. I know nothing about how it works in details. :)

after the pitching process is over you would approach the people who’s projects you’re interested in and then they’d let you know before the Tuesday deadline if they picked you

Really appreciated the email update from AFI. I'm still waiting for USC's Virtual Admitted Students Day to truly make a decision between the schools, but it seems like AFI has gone above and beyond to communicate with us, COVID-19 or not. Feeling like they actually care about us.

To sum up my understanding - they're anticipating fall to go off as planed, although have some planning in the works for changes if needed - but it does sound like they were looking to how they could pivot Bootcamp a bit anyway? They're also extending the deposit deadline and potentially offering the option to defer.

Congrats! :)

Anyone else gotten further in their decisions?

I am fairly certain I will be declining the offer at AFI and going with Columbia. Columbia wasn't my first choice when I started out this process but the faculty kind of made me change my mind. So another waitlist spot should open up soon!

That said, I have no idea if I will attend this year at all with what is going on, especially in NY. It's all such a big mess and am truly worried for the US right now..

I'm pretty sure I'm going to accept AFI's offer, which I'm super excited about. I didn't really have a first choice going into this, but I was denied by USC and I'm still waiting to hear back from Columbia (though I suspect at this point it's either a waitlist or rejection). I'm more than happy with AFI as it quickly rose to the top of my list after my interview.

I'm also trying to figure out if I'll be able to attend this year or attempt to defer a year. I'm eager to get started on this MFA but, after losing both my jobs because of the COVID-19 crisis here in NYC, I may have to work for another year and save some money. At this point I'm not even sure I'd be able to afford to move out to LA come August.

Of course, I'm sure for international students it's even more stressful not even knowing if you'll be able to travel to the US. Hopefully this is all cleared up by then and we'll all be starting school this fall (sans Zoom)!

Leaning more and more towards accepting AFI's offer over USC. I've scheduled a call with Giovanni at AFI on Monday to help my decision-making process. Woof this is tough - COVID-19, all the hurdles that's thrown us... We'll all get through it! I'm going to be Belle when this is over, walking down the street and hugging all the people, whether I know them or not.

Leaning more and more towards accepting AFI's offer over USC. I've scheduled a call with Giovanni at AFI on Monday to help my decision-making process. Woof this is tough - COVID-19, all the hurdles that's thrown us... We'll all get through it! I'm going to be Belle when this is over, walking down the street and hugging all the people, whether I know them or not.

yea I think the email that was sent was really sweet!

Congrats! :)

Anyone else gotten further in their decisions?

I am fairly certain I will be declining the offer at AFI and going with Columbia. Columbia wasn't my first choice when I started out this process but the faculty kind of made me change my mind. So another waitlist spot should open up soon!

That said, I have no idea if I will attend this year at all with what is going on, especially in NY. It's all such a big mess and am truly worried for the US right now..
Hey! I'm wondering what factors, other than financial, are pushing you in this direction re-Columbia over AFI? I feel like I have less of a grasp on Columbia, for some reason, though loved my interview.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back