• THANKSGIVING WEEK LIFETIME SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP SALE: If you are finding FilmSchool.org helpful, consider becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $16! (20% off) by entering the coupon code THANKS. Coupon expires Sunday 11/29 at midnight PST.

AFI Screenwriting Fall 2021

lucychoi97

Supporter
I guess no one has started the AFI Screenwriting thread yet so here we go!
How many of you are applying to this discipline? And are you confident about your materials?

Also I got one more question. During your application process, under Education Information section, what did you guys write for Production Experience? Do I just list my production experience on-campus or does that also include off-campus experience?

llueve

Supporter
Hi Lucy, I'm applying to AFI Screenwriting too. Been focusing on another app due this weekend, but will circle back to this one soon and let you know what I list under Production Experience.

As for confidence in my materials... I have to say, of all the prompts, AFI's is the one I've struggled with the most. I have a scene in place, but I just don't love it, may scrap it and start over. With only two weeks to go, it's a bit of a gamble, but hey, the theme is "risk" after all! ;D

lucychoi97

Supporter
Hi Lucy, I'm applying to AFI Screenwriting too. Been focusing on another app due this weekend, but will circle back to this one soon and let you know what I list under Production Experience.

As for confidence in my materials... I have to say, of all the prompts, AFI's is the one I've struggled with the most. I have a scene in place, but I just don't love it, may scrap it and start over. With only two weeks to go, it's a bit of a gamble, but hey, the theme is "risk" after all! ;D
Yeah I hear you. The prompt was hard for me too. A LOT to cover! It took me a long time to think of an idea that really satisfied me.
Good luck with your 'risk'! And let me know what you would list under production experience!

llueve

Supporter
During your application process, under Education Information section, what did you guys write for Production Experience? Do I just list my production experience on-campus or does that also include off-campus experience?
Hi again! Finally had a chance to look at the application layout.

What's confusing is that the Production Experience question appears under the "Education" tab, but I don't think it refers only to Production Experience gained in college (or high school, or continuing ed. courses).

For example, I didn't do film in undergrad, but I have a few years of film work experience outside of school. So I'm going to list the following:
My experience in professional Post Production (Post PA work, assistant editor work, editor work)
My experience on set (Script Supervisor on 1 micro-budget feature and a handful of shorts; Camera PA on tiny web series shoots)
My experience taking film classes after college (1 TV Writing class; 1 film directing class)

All of these things are listed on my resume, but since I'm in doubt, I think I may err on the side of too much info than giving them too little info.

Maybe if I had taken a Film Production class in college, but had majored in, say, Political Science, I would list that class here so they know 'Hey, my college major doesn't point to this fact, but I do know what happens on set!'

And maybe I'll ask AFI directly what they want. If I do, I'll post again here!

lucychoi97

Supporter
Hi again! Finally had a chance to look at the application layout.

What's confusing is that the Production Experience question appears under the "Education" tab, but I don't think it refers only to Production Experience gained in college (or high school, or continuing ed. courses).

For example, I didn't do film in undergrad, but I have a few years of film work experience outside of school. So I'm going to list the following:
My experience in professional Post Production (Post PA work, assistant editor work, editor work)
My experience on set (Script Supervisor on 1 micro-budget feature and a handful of shorts; Camera PA on tiny web series shoots)
My experience taking film classes after college (1 TV Writing class; 1 film directing class)

All of these things are listed on my resume, but since I'm in doubt, I think I may err on the side of too much info than giving them too little info.

Maybe if I had taken a Film Production class in college, but had majored in, say, Political Science, I would list that class here so they know 'Hey, my college major doesn't point to this fact, but I do know what happens on set!'

And maybe I'll ask AFI directly what they want. If I do, I'll post again here!
Thanks! I appreciate it!
I already sent an email to the admission office to ask that but no reply yet. I guess I'll just include my on and off campus experience briefly as you said.
Wish you the best of luck!

CampbellSoup

Supporter
Hi! First time applicant. I'm applying straight out of college, where I'm graduating a year early, so I'm a little young. Do you think that will come into play in their decision? I feel like the conservatory has a lot more older applicants. I'm also confused about the production experience. It's such a small space to type, I'm not sure how much information to put.

llueve

Supporter
Question for y'all about the prompt scene about risk...

Three characters, is what the rules say.
Do your scenes have only 3 human beings in sight, or just 3 named characters, but you've allowed yourself Background Actors (eg: "MALL SHOPPERS walk through the atrium") or even one-line-deliverers that you're not counting towards your 3 characters (eg: "a TICKET BOOTH VENDOR takes their tickets. TICKET VENDOR–Second room on the left")?

The scene I have currently only has 3 people in it period, no background, nothing. But I'm thinking of writing a whole new scene and all my ideas take place in large spaces with lots of people.

Thoughts?

lucychoi97

Supporter
Question for y'all about the prompt scene about risk...

Three characters, is what the rules say.
Do your scenes have only 3 human beings in sight, or just 3 named characters, but you've allowed yourself Background Actors (eg: "MALL SHOPPERS walk through the atrium") or even one-line-deliverers that you're not counting towards your 3 characters (eg: "a TICKET BOOTH VENDOR takes their tickets. TICKET VENDOR–Second room on the left")?

The scene I have currently only has 3 people in it period, no background, nothing. But I'm thinking of writing a whole new scene and all my ideas take place in large spaces with lots of people.

Thoughts?
Hi
I just kept mine simple with just 3 characters on screen. I left it open-ended with someone (off-screen) approaching them.
Anyway what I think is it would be okay to have background actors, but just don't name them or let them speak.
As long as the dialogue is between the 3 characters I think it should be fine. But this is just my personal opinion. It is always best to ask the school but the last time I asked AFI I didn't get a reply from them. And thanksgiving is approaching so you might want to hurry.
About the ticket vendor, I would just keep it simple, for example James receives the ticket from the booth, without showing the person at the booth.
Hope it helps.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Our very own @Septopus7 just wrote an amazing article on what he learned applying and getting into USC and AFI... Check it out!

After Three Years of Rejection, I Got Into The Two Best Film Schools in The World. Here Are The Five Things I Learned...

After Three Years of Rejection, I Got Into The Two Best Film Schools in The World. Here Are The Five Things I Learned...

So...you’re applying for film school, huh? I mean, that’s just my assumption. Not sure why you would bother reading this otherwise, especially with where we are currently in The Cycle of Applications. These next couple weeks are pretty much when all the major film school programs have their...

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Our very own @Septopus7 just wrote an amazing article on what he learned applying and getting into USC and AFI... Check it out!

So...you’re applying for film school, huh? I mean, that’s just my assumption. Not sure why you would bother reading this otherwise, especially with where we are currently in The Cycle of Applications. These next couple weeks are pretty much when all the major film school programs have their...
And now he did an AMA:

People High Quality GIF

Inkie9

Hi! I hope everyone is well :)
For the risk script, I was just wondering how people have interpreted the 'turn' that AFI ask for? Does it just mean a shift in the direction of the plot and/or a change in characters' feelings, rather than a 'twist' e.g. something shocking revealed?

lucychoi97

Supporter
Hi! I hope everyone is well :)
For the risk script, I was just wondering how people have interpreted the 'turn' that AFI ask for? Does it just mean a shift in the direction of the plot and/or a change in characters' feelings, rather than a 'twist' e.g. something shocking revealed?
I understood 'turn' as some kind of twist, but I think it could be simple like a change of decision or direction as you said. It doesn't necessarily have to be shocking I believe.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya
  • University of Texas at Austin - Department of Radio-Television-Film
    4.00 star(s)
    Great film school outside of LA/NYC
    I would say overall UT's film school is a great choice! It is rated #11 on THR's Top Film School List in the U.S. Sure it's nowhere near LA or NY...
    • Anonymous
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Directing (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    a great decision
    Columbia College Chicago is not only one of America's best film schools it is also one of the most affordable. The program is advertised as 2...
    • Jcromwell
  • Fitchburg State University
    4.00 star(s)
    Okay School, especially for the price
    Came in as both a transfer and commuter, so my experience was really lessened by that fact. Your time and success here is really up to you...
    • Anonymous
  • SUNY Purchase - Playwriting & Screenwriting BA
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Quality Program
    I want to start off by mentioning that I came to Purchase as a transfer student from another liberal arts college and screenwriting program. This...
    • catmom