AFI Screenwriting Fall 2021 (1 Viewer)

lucychoi97

Korean Forum Moderator
Staff member
I guess no one has started the AFI Screenwriting thread yet so here we go!
How many of you are applying to this discipline? And are you confident about your materials?

Also I got one more question. During your application process, under Education Information section, what did you guys write for Production Experience? Do I just list my production experience on-campus or does that also include off-campus experience?

llueve

Supporter
Hi Lucy, I'm applying to AFI Screenwriting too. Been focusing on another app due this weekend, but will circle back to this one soon and let you know what I list under Production Experience.

As for confidence in my materials... I have to say, of all the prompts, AFI's is the one I've struggled with the most. I have a scene in place, but I just don't love it, may scrap it and start over. With only two weeks to go, it's a bit of a gamble, but hey, the theme is "risk" after all! ;D

lucychoi97

Korean Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hi Lucy, I'm applying to AFI Screenwriting too. Been focusing on another app due this weekend, but will circle back to this one soon and let you know what I list under Production Experience.

As for confidence in my materials... I have to say, of all the prompts, AFI's is the one I've struggled with the most. I have a scene in place, but I just don't love it, may scrap it and start over. With only two weeks to go, it's a bit of a gamble, but hey, the theme is "risk" after all! ;D
Yeah I hear you. The prompt was hard for me too. A LOT to cover! It took me a long time to think of an idea that really satisfied me.
Good luck with your 'risk'! And let me know what you would list under production experience!

llueve

Supporter
During your application process, under Education Information section, what did you guys write for Production Experience? Do I just list my production experience on-campus or does that also include off-campus experience?
Hi again! Finally had a chance to look at the application layout.

What's confusing is that the Production Experience question appears under the "Education" tab, but I don't think it refers only to Production Experience gained in college (or high school, or continuing ed. courses).

For example, I didn't do film in undergrad, but I have a few years of film work experience outside of school. So I'm going to list the following:
My experience in professional Post Production (Post PA work, assistant editor work, editor work)
My experience on set (Script Supervisor on 1 micro-budget feature and a handful of shorts; Camera PA on tiny web series shoots)
My experience taking film classes after college (1 TV Writing class; 1 film directing class)

All of these things are listed on my resume, but since I'm in doubt, I think I may err on the side of too much info than giving them too little info.

Maybe if I had taken a Film Production class in college, but had majored in, say, Political Science, I would list that class here so they know 'Hey, my college major doesn't point to this fact, but I do know what happens on set!'

And maybe I'll ask AFI directly what they want. If I do, I'll post again here!

lucychoi97

Korean Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hi again! Finally had a chance to look at the application layout.

What's confusing is that the Production Experience question appears under the "Education" tab, but I don't think it refers only to Production Experience gained in college (or high school, or continuing ed. courses).

For example, I didn't do film in undergrad, but I have a few years of film work experience outside of school. So I'm going to list the following:
My experience in professional Post Production (Post PA work, assistant editor work, editor work)
My experience on set (Script Supervisor on 1 micro-budget feature and a handful of shorts; Camera PA on tiny web series shoots)
My experience taking film classes after college (1 TV Writing class; 1 film directing class)

All of these things are listed on my resume, but since I'm in doubt, I think I may err on the side of too much info than giving them too little info.

Maybe if I had taken a Film Production class in college, but had majored in, say, Political Science, I would list that class here so they know 'Hey, my college major doesn't point to this fact, but I do know what happens on set!'

And maybe I'll ask AFI directly what they want. If I do, I'll post again here!
Thanks! I appreciate it!
I already sent an email to the admission office to ask that but no reply yet. I guess I'll just include my on and off campus experience briefly as you said.
Wish you the best of luck!

Hi! First time applicant. I'm applying straight out of college, where I'm graduating a year early, so I'm a little young. Do you think that will come into play in their decision? I feel like the conservatory has a lot more older applicants. I'm also confused about the production experience. It's such a small space to type, I'm not sure how much information to put.

llueve

Supporter
Question for y'all about the prompt scene about risk...

Three characters, is what the rules say.
Do your scenes have only 3 human beings in sight, or just 3 named characters, but you've allowed yourself Background Actors (eg: "MALL SHOPPERS walk through the atrium") or even one-line-deliverers that you're not counting towards your 3 characters (eg: "a TICKET BOOTH VENDOR takes their tickets. TICKET VENDOR–Second room on the left")?

The scene I have currently only has 3 people in it period, no background, nothing. But I'm thinking of writing a whole new scene and all my ideas take place in large spaces with lots of people.

Thoughts?

lucychoi97

Korean Forum Moderator
Staff member
Question for y'all about the prompt scene about risk...

Three characters, is what the rules say.
Do your scenes have only 3 human beings in sight, or just 3 named characters, but you've allowed yourself Background Actors (eg: "MALL SHOPPERS walk through the atrium") or even one-line-deliverers that you're not counting towards your 3 characters (eg: "a TICKET BOOTH VENDOR takes their tickets. TICKET VENDOR–Second room on the left")?

The scene I have currently only has 3 people in it period, no background, nothing. But I'm thinking of writing a whole new scene and all my ideas take place in large spaces with lots of people.

Thoughts?
Hi
I just kept mine simple with just 3 characters on screen. I left it open-ended with someone (off-screen) approaching them.
Anyway what I think is it would be okay to have background actors, but just don't name them or let them speak.
As long as the dialogue is between the 3 characters I think it should be fine. But this is just my personal opinion. It is always best to ask the school but the last time I asked AFI I didn't get a reply from them. And thanksgiving is approaching so you might want to hurry.
About the ticket vendor, I would just keep it simple, for example James receives the ticket from the booth, without showing the person at the booth.
Hope it helps.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Our very own @Septopus7 just wrote an amazing article on what he learned applying and getting into USC and AFI... Check it out!

After Three Years of Rejection, I Got Into The Two Best Film Schools in The World. Here Are The Five Things I Learned...

After Three Years of Rejection, I Got Into The Two Best Film Schools in The World. Here Are The Five Things I Learned...

So...you’re applying for film school, huh? I mean, that’s just my assumption. Not sure why you would bother reading this otherwise, especially with where we are currently in The Cycle of Applications. These next couple weeks are pretty much when all the major film school programs have their...

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Our very own @Septopus7 just wrote an amazing article on what he learned applying and getting into USC and AFI... Check it out!

So...you’re applying for film school, huh? I mean, that’s just my assumption. Not sure why you would bother reading this otherwise, especially with where we are currently in The Cycle of Applications. These next couple weeks are pretty much when all the major film school programs have their...
And now he did an AMA:

People High Quality GIF

Inkie9

Hi! I hope everyone is well :)
For the risk script, I was just wondering how people have interpreted the 'turn' that AFI ask for? Does it just mean a shift in the direction of the plot and/or a change in characters' feelings, rather than a 'twist' e.g. something shocking revealed?

lucychoi97

Korean Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hi! I hope everyone is well :)
For the risk script, I was just wondering how people have interpreted the 'turn' that AFI ask for? Does it just mean a shift in the direction of the plot and/or a change in characters' feelings, rather than a 'twist' e.g. something shocking revealed?
I understood 'turn' as some kind of twist, but I think it could be simple like a change of decision or direction as you said. It doesn't necessarily have to be shocking I believe.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Deadline is December 2nd!

How many of you have turned it in? When do you plan on turning it in if you haven't?

I highly recommend not waiting to the last moment btw as one year technical difficulties caused someone to miss the deadline. 😬

Good luck everyone!

llueve

Supporter
less than five pages should be okay right? if that's the maximum? my script is at a full two
Yes absolutely, less than five pages is fine, based on their guidelines. I think as long as you can do everything they asked for (introduce a main character and have a turn) in two pages, then awesome. "Trim all the fat!" they say

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Student Films Made at Film Programs

A248
Views
Reaction score
In the midst of a global pandemic, a very paranoid vampire orders contactless food delivery.
Film Program
Loyola Marymount University
Course
PROD 685
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Comedy
Duration/Running Time
1:24
Film Completion
Aug 1, 2020
A248
Views
Reaction score
One man's mission to document and preserve the history and pop culture of the San Fernando Valley in Southern California. Tommy Gelinas was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley in Southern California. He grew up visiting restaurants, malls, and many other venues that slowly declined and...
Film Program
Course
PROD 600
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Documentary
Duration/Running Time
13:52
Film Completion
Dec 1, 2020
A248
Views
Reaction score
An artist invites an especially harsh critic to her studio for an exclusive preview of her latest work.
Film Program
Course
PROD 550
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Horror
Duration/Running Time
6:01
Film Completion
May 1, 2019

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications