AFI Screenwriting Fall 2021

Did anyone get an interview today? This is killing me lol
I haven't heard anything yet either, don't stress! As someone above said, they will be sending out interview requests right up until the notification date so I reckon we've still got a few weeks to go.

This was my weakest application though so I've not got high hopes haha 🤦‍♀️ only myself to blame on that. The bloody 'risk' prompt, I talked myself out of what I wrote and so wrote a completely new scene the day it was due🙃

From the looks of it, a lot of the people saying they got interviews are American applicants/ Hold American citizenships, so they may circle back to us international applicants later. :) It may be wishful thinking but it is a possibility.
Looks like the first round of interviews were both domestic/international applicants. I'm hoping AFI continues to roll out more interview requests this week and next. I checked the 2020 applicants and interviews were sent out mid Jan to the end of Jan. So there's still hope. Fingers crossed!

Looks like the first round of interviews were both domestic/international applicants. I'm hoping AFI continues to roll out more interview requests this week and next. I checked the 2020 applicants and interviews were sent out mid Jan to the end of Jan. So there's still hope. Fingers crossed!
Yees, I saw that too!
I think they will be sending more requests with time! I don't know exactly how it works but they are probably dividing the interviewers because one person who got the request on the same day as me is being interviewed by the same professors. Maybe they do it like that, I don't know...

Hoping for everyone to get their request soon. The waiting is horrible (I applied for different MFAs as well I'm checking my email every day).

Yees, I saw that too!
I think they will be sending more requests with time! I don't know exactly how it works but they are probably dividing the interviewers because one person who got the request on the same day as me is being interviewed by the same professors. Maybe they do it like that, I don't know...

Hoping for everyone to get their request soon. The waiting is horrible (I applied for different MFAs as well I'm checking my email every day).
My hope is for all of us to get into our dream schools and receive BIG scholarships haha. In the mean time, I'm going to distract myself with great television (Emily in Paris and Bridgerton).

congrats to everyone who got their interview scheduled! I guess I might have to wait a bit more haha:eek: and thanks for the recommendation Abbey Normal ! I already watched hereditary and are you sure it's light-hearted? 😂

Oh and by the way for those who got your interview scheduled, did your status change on your empower page?

Last edited:
congrats to everyone who got their interview scheduled! I guess I might have to wait a bit more haha:eek: and thanks for the recommendation Abbey Normal ! I already watched hereditary and are you sure it's light-hearted? 😂

Oh and by the way for those who got your interview scheduled, did your status change on your empower page?
The waiting is horrible but I'm sure you'll hear soon!

I actually don't know where the status bit is haha! I can't see anything when I log on?

Re: AFI Scholarship

So I filled out the FAFSA form along with the other programs I've applied to, but I still don't know how much I'll be receiving in financial aid. There is an amount listed next to Direct Stafford Loan, but that's it. Am I missing something?

1611527603666.png

Re: AFI Scholarship

So I filled out the FAFSA form along with the other programs I've applied to, but I still don't know how much I'll be receiving in financial aid. There is an amount listed next to Direct Stafford Loan, but that's it. Am I missing something?

View attachment 2043
We'll hear more about financial aid closer to admissions :) The numbers they give out on the FAFSA student aid report are usually just estimates based on your income or EFC. I think as graduate students we're eligible for the Stafford Loan, which is the $20,500 annually that they mentioned there. Then you can also get the Direct PLUS loan, which can go up to the cost of attendance, minus any other financial aid.

Each school should give you a financial aid award (with scholar/fellowships & specific loan amounts) on their respective sites or in the mail. For AFI, it'll probably pop up on the Empower site. For USC undergraduate programs, they usually sent it around February or March. It's probably the same for graduate admissions. AFI said that financial aid awards will be sent in mid-March after admissions decisions. I don't know anything about NYU, but it'll probably show up close to the same time you receive an admissions decision.

We'll hear more about financial aid closer to admissions :) The numbers they give out on the FAFSA student aid report are usually just estimates based on your income or EFC. I think as graduate students we're eligible for the Stafford Loan, which is the $20,500 annually that they mentioned there. Then you can also get the Direct PLUS loan, which can go up to the cost of attendance, minus any other financial aid.

Each school should give you a financial aid award (with scholar/fellowships & specific loan amounts) on their respective sites or in the mail. For AFI, it'll probably pop up on the Empower site. For USC undergraduate programs, they usually sent it around February or March. It's probably the same for graduate admissions. AFI said that financial aid awards will be sent in mid-March after admissions decisions. I don't know anything about NYU, but it'll probably show up close to the same time you receive an admissions decision.
Thank you for the clarification. 😀 Hopefully I filled out the FAFSA form correctly.

So I'm interviewing with Anna Thomas and Ed Decter. The required headshot states does NOT need to be professional so I'm assuming a selfie headshot will do? To smile, or not to smile, that is the question.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back