AFI Screenwriting Fall 2021

Interest can accrue *only* on the loan amount. For example, you borrow $100. Interest is 1% monthly
Ahh you're right. I had a brain fart. Yeah definitely try and steer away from a compounding loan if you can. If that's even possible I don't know.

Hi everyone, it's Chiara here, a deferred screenwriting fellow from last year :)
Do you happen to know how many screenwriting fellows deferred? I know they usually take in 28 screenwriting fellows/year. So far there's you and an Aussie girl (don't ask how I know haha). I'm just curious to see if the cohort will be more than usual this year because of the pandemic.

Do you happen to know how many screenwriting fellows deferred? I know they usually take in 28 screenwriting fellows/year. So far there's you and an Aussie girl (don't ask how I know haha). I'm just curious to see if the cohort will be more than usual this year because of the pandemic.
Well I didn't know about this girl honestly ahaha I thought I was the only deferred one from screenwriting ahah so I think just the two of us?

Okay so I'm pretty sure I will have to turn down the offer. There is simply no way of me getting enough money that isn't considered 'debt' by the government and so I won't be able to get a visa. AFI told me I wouldn't be able to work in my first year because of my visa limitations and when I asked how international students manage to survive with no income they said this:

"The reason working isn’t allowed in the first year is because you have essentially already shown that you have the necessary funds to support yourself for the first year."

Which is some elitist bull**** in my opinion hahaha 😂 . I dunno, I've not been given the best impression tbh but as an international I guess it's a different experience! We'll see if they say anything extra on the 27th 🤷‍♀️ (apologies for the rant!)

"The reason working isn’t allowed in the first year is because you have essentially already shown that you have the necessary funds to support yourself for the first year."

Which is some elitist bull**** in my opinion hahaha 😂 . I dunno, I've not been given the best impression tbh but as an international I guess it's a different experience! We'll see if they say anything extra on the 27th 🤷‍♀️ (apologies for the rant!)
Please rant!!! haha

It appears most graduate film programs forbid students to work, especially in their first year, esp at AFI. My friend was a TA in his second year at UCLA for his MFA and he told me it was super stressful having to crank out new pages every week on top of grading a ton of paperwork. Then again UCLA is significanlty cheaper.

FWIW, when you're a top 5 film school it's okay to be elitist lol.

I hope it all works out for you! I'd say start doing your research and apply to as many outside scholarships as you can possibly find. :)

Please rant!!! haha

It appears most graduate film programs forbid students to work, especially in their first year, esp at AFI. My friend was a TA in his second year at UCLA for his MFA and he told me it was super stressful having to crank out new pages every week on top of grading a ton of paperwork. Then again UCLA is significanlty cheaper.

FWIW, when you're a top 5 film school it's okay to be elitist lol.

I hope it all works out for you! I'd say start doing your research and apply to as many outside scholarships as you can possibly find. :)
Honestly that is baffling to me!! When I was 19 I legit worked 8 jobs at the same time and cannot imagine just not working at all?! :oops: maybe I'm weird I dunno hahaha

Yeah, I just hoped that they also had actual real people working for them who weren't that way but yikes that phrasing just did not sit right with me. If I ever win the lottery or something and get to be a rich old lady, I want to pay for a load of low-income students to go to all these schools like, off you go, fight the system kids 🤣

But yeah, I'm still researching scholarships and I might give have a ton of questions on the 27th so apologies in advance!!

Did anyone get a text/call from their interviewer? I just got a text from Ed Decter to set up a Zoom call to talk about AFI and how they want me in the fall. Guess I'm going to ask him about getting some of that sweet AFI money that's sitting in the vault haha.

AFI = Affordable Film Institute

Did anyone get a text/call from their interviewer? I just got a text from Ed Decter to set up a Zoom call to talk about AFI and how they want me in the fall. Guess I'm going to ask him about getting some of that sweet AFI money that's sitting in the vault haha.

AFI = Affordable Film Institute
Yes, I got a call, partly to remind me of the Zoom info session on Saturday. Did you get the email with the link for that? I know they said some folks didn’t...

Yes, I got a call, partly to remind me of the Zoom info session on Saturday. Did you get the email with the link for that? I know they said some folks didn’t...
Just finished my call. It was more or less a "Hey, congrats again we hope to see you this fall." He did mention that this year was by far the most competitive (they received roughly 80% more applicants). So everyone that got in -- go ahead and give yourself a pat on the back. I did ask about the number of cohorts for screenwriting and it looks like we'll have around 31-32, including deferrals.

Ed did stress that writers should begin to brainstorm ideas/pitches for potential projects (pilots/features) so that come fall, we have lots of materials to workshop. If you're already doing that, then great! And if you're not doing that, then you better be reading screenplays and tv pilots!

Re: link - Yes, I received the zoom link for the info-session. I have a lot of questions that I hope will be answered this weekend haha.

He did mention that this year was by far the most competitive (they received roughly 80% more applicants). So everyone that got in -- go ahead and give yourself a pat on the back.
Wow. I wonder how many applicants that actually is?

Okay so I'm pretty sure I will have to turn down the offer. There is simply no way of me getting enough money that isn't considered 'debt' by the government and so I won't be able to get a visa. AFI told me I wouldn't be able to work in my first year because of my visa limitations and when I asked how international students manage to survive with no income they said this:

I know this from friends, but the student visa doesn't allow you to work, though, at outside employment other than at the school. AFI only offers TA positions during the Second Year with a small stipend, unfortunately. To get a student visa, you need to have full proof of tuition and living expenses, so that's not really on AFI but visa restrictions, etc., from the US government :(

Hey @katiebonnie , I am also an international student (London, UK). I've been looking at funding a decent chunk of my tuition through a private loan. But are you saying that this would mean I am unlikely to be approved for a visa?
I hope not as currently that was my only hope...

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back