American Film Institute (AFI) - Directing Applicants 2021

ArielleNotTheMermaid

Supporter
I’ve had 5 views on both my films but no interview yet. In past years it seems like they’ve sent out international interview notifications for directors first, then US notifications like a week or two later. So hopefully some of us will get some notifications this week or next? 😬

On another note, it seems like there are far fewer applicants for all graduate schools this year - at least on this site. I wonder if that reflects the overall numbers. Maybe less people are applying due to the pandemic?

CJR

Supporter
I’ve had 5 views on both my films but no interview yet. In past years it seems like they’ve sent out international interview notifications for directors first, then US notifications like a week or two later. So hopefully some of us will get some notifications this week or next? 😬

On another note, it seems like there are far fewer applicants for all graduate schools this year - at least on this site. I wonder if that reflects the overall numbers. Maybe less people are applying due to the pandemic?
I think you are completely right about the international students getting hit up first AND it’s definitely rolling so it’s not over yet hahaha. Seriously hope you’re right about application numbers!! Crossing fingers for everyone else anxiously waiting!!

I've been checking my email and the forum every two hours or so, this endless waiting time is really poisoning my mind...Does anyone have any idea when the school would send the rejection letter or there will be no response or notification?

ArielleNotTheMermaid

Supporter
I've been checking my email and the forum every two hours or so, this endless waiting time is really poisoning my mind...Does anyone have any idea when the school would send the rejection letter or there will be no response or notification?
They will notify us via email in mid-March. What's help me with the wait is planning for in case I don't get into any school - writing scripts for Fellowships, looking up other options, etc.

Jack's Lack of Surprise

Supporter+
Don’t let this process get the best of you. I applied last year with what I thought was a worthy application and didn’t get selected. I’ll never forget how awful the extreme stress of waiting felt, but with that said, I feel oddly calm about this year’s application. I haven’t been contacted for an interview — who knows if I will — but I know that I improved significantly upon last year’s application and can find peace in that. AFI obviously has a system in place for reviewing applicants, but at the end of the day, this is all such an arbitrary process. Getting into AFI, or not getting into AFI, won’t define you as a filmmaker. Many applicants likely offer similar great qualities, so this is all just a crapshoot.

Blue Grape

Supporter
May I ask what is the email address if you are scheduled for an interview? Is it from an AFI faculty email or from the AFI admission email?

I know the class of 2020 had 26 directors and 25 screenwriters. I would imagine the number of interviews are slightly more.
From an old thread: "I actually asked him how many people the screenwriting program interviews (because I saw that people were asking that question in this thread) and he said that they don't actually interview very many applicants, and that the number of interviewees is very close to the number of students they admit. So pretty much if you got an interview you should be super excited!"

Jack's Lack of Surprise

Supporter+
Any idea if these interviews are on a rolling basis? Or is it safe to presume the requests have been sent? 😬
I have no definitive idea, but based off of the available data from the past few years, it seems like interview notifications are somewhat spaced apart. With that said, there does appear to be a bit of a pattern as to when applicants are typically notified.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Go if you have a sizable scholarship
    Ultimately glad I went, but my overall experience at Emerson felt very lackluster. The courses were good, but nothing really worth sinking almost...
    • Anonymous
  • USC School of Cinematic Arts (BA/BFA)
    5.00 star(s)
    A Journey Most Illuminating
    I started my USC adventure as a Theatre major. I quickly discovered that I needed to change paths, and film had always been of interest. I thought...
    • JHD
  • London Film School (LFS) - Directing Summer School with Udayan Prasad
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Filmmaking Intensive, Though Pricey
    I attended this summer program in 2019. I wanted to try out directing in an environment where I would get feedback on my work and where I could...
    • llueve
  • Northwestern University - School of Communication
    4.00 star(s)
    Good for film theory, not so much for production
    *Please take this with a grain of salt, as I went to NU over a decade ago. While I was there: Classes in film theory and screenwriting were great...
    • Anonymous
  • Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya

Latest Accepted Applications