Any MFA writers with a different degree and job experience not in the industry get accepted?

icantmath

I would like to apply for an MFA in screenwriting. I have bachelors degrees, but they're not related to theater, film, etc. I also have held administrative jobs that are also not related to the industry (I have applied countless times to assistant positions and internships related to writing and production, but I've never gotten a call back.).

Even though I've never set foot in a film producing environment, I am constantly writing and thinking of things to write for film. I'd actually like to finally pursue an MFA in screenwriting and apply by next year's deadline.

Has anyone been accepted to an MFA without having a pertinent degree and/or job experience in the industry?I really want to attend UCLA's MFA screenwriting program, so if anyone from UCLA MFA has any knowledge regarding this, please share!

Thank you.

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
Thanks, Chris! Appreciate the feedback (and encouragement).
Yes having a more rounded education is important. Life experience is important. You need to be able to write about something right? Write what you know?

I seem to remember them discouraged going directly from COM film undergrad at BU to their MFA screenwriter program when I was there.

panda

Like Chris said, don't worry about it. If anything, it might give you a small advantage. Varied experience is sought after in many programs.

Kira

MFA TV Writer @UCLA
I am sure you are in very good company, @icantmath. If you check out the application tracking sheet, you'll see that there are a variety of backgrounds. I, myself, am an international relations major :)

I have applied countless times to assistant positions and internships related to writing and production, but I've never gotten a call back.
If you are by a university, you may be able to get some hands on experience via student filmmakers. Obviously not the best situation (and you'll be working for free, of course), but they'll probably shoot a lot during evenings and weekends. Plus it'll give you experience.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Cal State Northridge (CSUN) - MFA in Screenwriting Program
    3.00 star(s)
    I was accepted to the CSUN MFA program in 2018 and took part in in for a full year; however, I recently decided not to go back and complete the...
    • Anonymous
  • Savannah College of Art and Design (MFA)
    1.00 star(s)
    The school is a complete honeypot, department head Donald.W Moffett has limited film production experience and has not idea how to properly guide...
    • Anonymous
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Emerson opened a lot of doors for me, so I can't dismiss that fact. However, I don't think it was necessary for me to go to Emerson as opposed to...
    • Anonymous
  • NYU - Tisch Kanbar Institute of Film and Television (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    Currently in my third year of my MFA at NYU Tisch Grad Film (writing/directing). I cannot praise this program enough! It exceeded any expectation...
    • Anonymous
  • National Film and Television School (NFTS)
    5.00 star(s)
    I'm currently in my first year of a 2 year MA at the NFTS. I saw these relatively negative reviews about the NFTS before I applied, but I can now...
    • VDW