Any tips for USC Graduate personal statement?

Lvn

Hey guys,

Last year when I visited USC they said personal statement is the deal-breaker. They also said that there is no concrete format and I should be as personal as I can.

I have tried this, but it's really hard to fit everything into a 1000 word essay. It's also really hard to stay focused, considering I want to say so much.

Either way, I would appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Thanks.

I let mine unfurl like a story in itself, in three parts. It was about a pretty sad life event, so I played the heartstrings card as much as reality allowed.

Lvn,

I'm having the same issue with the 1,000 word limit. I've taken to looking at what I've written once a week and editing it, since I have some time to fix it. Mine is also VERY personal. I think it's a deal breaker because they want to know if you can tell a story and how comfortable you are with emotions and the fact that you have a voice.

I would say just be sincere, and the real you will stand out. Sincerity is super hard to come by these days!!!

Hey Guys,

I don't know which programs you're trying for, but I most definitely feel your personal statement pain. It was the toughest piece of my USC app last fall. Let me tell you a few things I wish somebody had told me.

1. Figure out what your application is doing in front of them. Come up with two or three d@mn good reasons why you belong at USC and make them the soul of your statement.
2. Just do it, then do it again (repeat as necessary). Be aware that it's not easy and it's not meant to be. Force yourself to get something down, go over what works, then do it again until you're happy with it.
3. Imagine yourself as a character, then tell them your story. You want them to get to know you, and hopefully to like you, so pitch yourself accordingly. If you were a protagonist, what personal qualities would you highlight? How did those things contribute to you arriving on their doorstep?
4. At the end of the day, they are looking for alumni. Your success is their success, so do everything you can to present yourself as a good bet. Have you visited? Why do you think you're a perfect fit? Be confident (though not arrogant!) and demonstrate your vision and your enthusiasm.
5. Humor is an option. My statement began with a hilarious anecdote from my days as a medical office assistant. It probably told them more about me than any bumbling attempt to summarize myself, and it set up a flow for the rest of the piece. More to the point, humor amid a sea of seriousness will make your statement readable and memorable.
6. You'll know it when you've got it. 'Nuff said.

I hope this helps, and didn't come off as overly professorial. Good luck!

Scribble, welcome to the forum! Great post.

Will you be starting at SCA this fall then? I'm a screenwriting MFA graduating this May.

I noticed a note up in the writing office that appends to Scribble's wisdom...don't tell them how awesome USC is...they already know that. Instead, show them your own voice.

Hey Jayimess. I am starting in screenwriting in a couple of weeks. It's exciting, but I'm really nervous!

I relied on this site when I was going through the app process, so when I bumbled back over here today and had some time on my hands, I figured I'd pay it forward before the trauma faded into nostalgia.

I don't know if anyone is still reading this, but I've been putting together my own statement and realizing it's probably too professional. So a personal statement is less of what you hope to accomplish at USC and more of *why* I want to go and why I should be accepted? Sort of like a cover letter?

your personal statement should be something personal about yourself and it should reflect your interest in filmmaking, telling a story of how you came to be interested in film, what motivates you, and what beliefs and discoveries in your life led you to the decision.

or something like that......

hahahaha

Hahahah, okay, I gotcha. I can work with that. I definitely seem to be going for a more, "My intentions at USC are to blahblahblah...", so I'll be sure to coloquialize the crap out of it.

For my Personal Statement, I made it a point to stay focused and concise while remaining introspective. Demonstrate that you are an individual with a unique point of view, and that should score you some major brownie points. I didn't mention USC once, because it's not about them, it's about me. Granted, I don't know if my angle worked yet as I'm still waiting for the results, but I hope this helps a little.

I don't think it should be like a cover letter at all. It should tell them who you are and yes, tell them why you want to go there. Why would you be a good fit at USC? What kinds of stories do you want to tell?

I did that and I had sucessful resutls.

Definitely not a cover letter, nor is it a statement of goals.

This should be you, talking in your own voice, first person, about who you are, who you hope to be, and how you got to this point.

Best of luck!

I haven't looked at these requirements in a long time, but when I tackled this. the personal statement was more about the journey and the autobiography was more about the person.

I don't know if that helps. I didn't get a neurosis about the personal statement. I saved that for the creative portfolio.

We're all neurotic about something...

Hello!

I'm glad I found this site. I'm happily working away on my application to USC's screenwriting program, but this discussion has me confused. I do see the most emotional moment and autobiographical sketch on the application checklist site here (http://cinema.usc.edu/programs/writing/application-procedures-writing.htm), but I don't see anything about a 1000 word personal statement. Now I'm worried I've overlooked something very important. Can someone direct me to the info about the personal statement? I see that there's a place to upload a personal statement on the online application, but nothing about it being 1000 words. What did I miss?

Thanks!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back