Anyone hear from UCLA TFT about interview yet?

nadodude111

I understand that the only way to get admitted into the film program at UCLA is for someone to get an interview with UCLA. Has anyone heard anything from them as in have they emailed or called you to schedule an interview? I'm nervously checking my email everyday!! Thanks guys!

Well, here's the first thing I'll tell you: I arrived about 2 hours early, and had time to talk with a truckload of current students who gave me all kinds of things to expect. NONE of them were correct ;P. The interview went well and included things like movies/shows/stories I was interested in, stuff like that, for about 5 minutes. Then it turned to very personal questions about my background, the kinds of stories I'd like to tell, etc. But then something nobody prepared me for, that left me feeling "deer in headlights": They presented a "story start," and asked me to finish the story. But the framing of it was what screwed me over. It was framed as a "you're cheating on your wife" scenario, and I just completely went blank. I couldn't think about the idea at all. Later, when I reframed it for myself as another character, I had no problem with the story, though. The combination of nerves at the interview plus the story framing was just a bit much :D

Originally posted by petermttran:
Thanks for the input man. Just curious without giving away too many specifics, what was the nature of the interview like? Was it laid back? And I guess what kind of questions should we expect?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by JasonGW:
Well, here's the first thing I'll tell you: I arrived about 2 hours early, and had time to talk with a truckload of current students who gave me all kinds of things to expect. NONE of them were correct ;P. The interview went well and included things like movies/shows/stories I was interested in, stuff like that, for about 5 minutes. Then it turned to very personal questions about my background, the kinds of stories I'd like to tell, etc. But then something nobody prepared me for, that left me feeling "deer in headlights": They presented a "story start," and asked me to finish the story. But the framing of it was what screwed me over. It was framed as a "you're cheating on your wife" scenario, and I just completely went blank. I couldn't think about the idea at all. Later, when I reframed it for myself as another character, I had no problem with the story, though. The combination of nerves at the interview plus the story framing was just a bit much :D

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by petermttran:
Thanks for the input man. Just curious without giving away too many specifics, what was the nature of the interview like? Was it laid back? And I guess what kind of questions should we expect?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yikes sounds frightening. A story start? Shoot that's a curveball. Thanks for the input though. Hopefully this year you'll nab it! :)

Thanks, I hope so too! UCLA is my first choice, for its good combination of quality reputation and relatively reasonable cost (compared to USC and Chapman, I mean), but at this point I'll say yes to whoever offers me a way into film school :). On the bright side I've worked my way through most of the media studies and cinema classes at Santa Ana College, and have completed a certification in media studies and completed all the way through the Advanced Screenwriting courses, all with A's, so I'm optimistic I can do the job if they'll just give me a chance :)

Nice dude! I'm applying to all of those schools too! UCLA is also my first choice because of pretty much the same reasons as yours, but for me, given the research I've done on all the programs, I dig how UCLA provides equal opportunities to make a 12 minute thesis film no matter what. Apparently, only 4 students out of the several hundred at USC will be given an opportunity to direct the final senior project (a thirty to forty minute film). I mean, if USC accepts me, I'll take it, but it'll be a little harder to get your vision out there. But I'll be up for the challenge ;)

By the way have you considered NYU?

Good help! From everyone's examples, it looks like the interview is very dynamic and sort of centered on your application.
I keep kicking myself...I have/am applied/applying to 6 or 7 schools, and I keep reading about people talking about ones I've missed! I completely forgot to apply to NYU...is it still accepting applications?

Yep! The deadline is April 1st. It depends what you want to apply for. The film production program for undergrads asks for a visual sample no longer than 10 minutes. I might direct another film or I might just use the one I'm making for USC.

application submission to the slideshow website for NYU are closed until the 1st of feb. I called because I had a problem with mine. Theyre downloading all the submission and will be back sometime around then.

Just got my USC application in! Man, these things are big...are the rest of you done applying places? And thanks for the info on NYU - I'll apply if I have the time, what with classes and the other applications.

And as far as USC goes...not my top choice. Hell, I doubt I could afford it if I get in. But, if UCLA doesn't accept me, and USC gives me a heap o' money, I don't think I'd say no.

Hi everybody!
I turned in my app packet for UCLA undergrad film on January 3rd and had it overnighted. I didn't want to take any chances! ;)
I'm also extremely anxious to know if I made the interview round. I applied and was accepted to CSU Northridge, but UCLA is my top pick, and if I didn't get in, I don't think I'd go to CSUN. I also applied to SFSU, but also, I don't like the bay area.
Good luck to everyone!

Does anybody know if undergrad applicants get notified if they are NOT invited to interview? I just hate this feeling of not knowing if I'm even in the running--I wish they could tell me as soon as they throw my application out, if they do.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back