Anyone hear from UCLA TFT about interview yet?

nadodude111

I understand that the only way to get admitted into the film program at UCLA is for someone to get an interview with UCLA. Has anyone heard anything from them as in have they emailed or called you to schedule an interview? I'm nervously checking my email everyday!! Thanks guys!

Originally posted by BobDobbs:
My advice for applicants would be definately stress over your submissions - the creative, critical and personal essay. The interview is important, sure, but far less easy to 'manage'... you kinda just gotta go with the flow for it.

The submissions, however, you can make perfect.

I agree. I've made up my mind not to stress about this at all, in fact. If I don't get in this year it's no big deal--I'll hang back an extra year at the CC, take some additional classes and rack up a couple of additional AA's in Literature, English and Women's Studies, all of which I'm within 2 classes of getting in addition to my Liberal Arts AA, and apply again in the fall.

I look at it this way: if I could make it to the interview round on my first attempt, that's not too terrible, and I can probably reproduce it. In the meantime, there's no shortage of interesting things to learn :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah exactly right. And in fact, the admissions rep told me that this year they had about 700 apps, so quite a bit higher than normal. Making it into the top 30 is even more impressive in a year with more applicants. It'd still be disappointing not to be in the top 15, but that's OK--one more year isn't going to make that much difference :)

I submitted a screenplay sample for my creative choice, which I thought was a kind of daring... since a screenplay is a poor use of space generally speaking (leaving quite a bit of blank space on a page). Who knows though? Maybe everybody does this.

It was very tight, in terms of how much space I had to execute with. I've worked as a 'script doctor' before, so I took great pains ensuring that the script was very efficient and elegant. What it did was, technically, very simple -- I tried to show that I understand the craft by doing that very simple thing as correctly as I could.

I ended up getting accepted, so take that as you will.

Anyone else heard yet?

I used the 5 pages of creative writing to submit a poem and 3 short stories that each reflected a different feel and writing style. According to one of the interviewers, they really liked that approach because it gave a broader sense of what I'm capable of writing.

As everyone else said, the interview was a really casual conversation, and the questions seemed really formulated to your application. They know what you can answer and what you probably couldn't, which I found sort of comforting and sweet of them in my post-interview pondering.

as far as my creative sample went, i wrote a 5 page short story, focusing a lot on creating a visual setting, as well as the characters relationships with one another and making an overall social/moral statement.

I got accepted as well, but I still don't believe it. haha

Wasn't that the last day...?
Anyway, I'm FREAKING OUT about this whole thing. I had my application sent on the fifth day, quadruple checked every little word, instruction and page...oi. Stress out my butt, and that was only one of seven apps.
But, it looks like they'll start calling/emailing sometime in March, I guess? Nothing more I can do, I spose...

I'm trying to transfer in too man. Hopefully we'll get accepted into the interview rounds! I pray that my screenplay/GPA is good enough. Surprisingly my screenplay was a complete story despite the five page maximum. What did you write about? PM me if you don't comfortable talking about it here.

Man, I freaking hope so!
The GPA worries have been killing me, I had a not so good first semester. I hope that that transfer update info gets sent to the film people, my gpa went up by .3, which is kinda big.
I wrote what was basically an opening scene to a 5 or 10 minute I had an idea for. Basically, its a (hopefully) unique look at a couple people's experience after they die. It sounds cheesy written out like that, but I think it turned out well. How bout you?

I wouldn't stress too hard about it, honestly. I got an interview last year but couldn't get my transferable math class due to budget cuts, and that killed it for me. Still, I did get an interview, so that's not too bad. Hopefully I'll get one again this year, but if not I've also applied to USC, CSULB and Chapman film schools, so whichever responds in the affirmative, I won't be too picky :). Whatever you do, don't stress. As long as you have a GPA over 3.0, and all your transfer requirements met, it's all gonna come down to your writing samples and your interview.

Originally posted by scott042:
Man, I freaking hope so!
The GPA worries have been killing me, I had a not so good first semester. I hope that that transfer update info gets sent to the film people, my gpa went up by .3, which is kinda big.
I wrote what was basically an opening scene to a 5 or 10 minute I had an idea for. Basically, its a (hopefully) unique look at a couple people's experience after they die. It sounds cheesy written out like that, but I think it turned out well. How bout you?

Your idea actually sounds pretty solid. My script was basically the life and death of a goldfish. It didn't have any conventional dialogue at all really due to the length restraints

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back