Applying 2010

Silverlenz

I know its a bit early but I thought it might be a good idea to see where everyone is planning to apply to for the Fall of 2010.

where are you applying?

i'm doing the big 4 -
usc
ucla
nyu
columbia

and i am still deciding on chapman and afi.

i want to apply to nfts in london but it doesn't seem like they work on the same schedule, time-wise, which means i will already have to commit yes or no to the other schools before they will consider my application, which is unfortunate because i am really interested in their program.
anyone else have that problem?

I'm planning to apply to the following schools:

Northwestern University -MFA in Screenwriting
Ohio University-MFA Film
Columbia University-Creative Producing
Chapman University-Producing

What kind of background do you have? Is your undergraduate degree in Film?

i did get my undergraduate degree in film but i don't think it really matters.

yeah i keep hearing really good things about chapman...

tara, have you looked into the programs you are applying to? I don't mean to condescend, or to question your choices, but those are four/six very different programs...film school should be about the best fit for you, not the "big name." I personally was ready to apply to seven of the "name" schools, but whittled it down to just three after I figured out what I really wanted from a program.

However, even those wants evolved after applications were due, and once I got decisions, I already knew that there was only one school that was a perfect fit for me. Luckily I got off of the waitlist, so I could attend, lol.

I'm sure you'll make the right choice...just something to think about.

Best of luck to you both!

Originally posted by Jayimess:
tara, have you looked into the programs you are applying to? I don't mean to condescend, or to question your choices, but those are four/six very different programs...film school should be about the best fit for you, not the "big name." I personally was ready to apply to seven of the "name" schools, but whittled it down to just three after I figured out what I really wanted from a program.

However, even those wants evolved after applications were due, and once I got decisions, I already knew that there was only one school that was a perfect fit for me. Luckily I got off of the waitlist, so I could attend, lol.

I'm sure you'll make the right choice...just something to think about.

Best of luck to you both!

That's excellent advice, Jayimess, and important. Initially I was super stoked on NYU by its reputation alone, but I now realize that I would be miserable there. I am far more focused on writing, and I have a somewhat limited interest in film's technical realm, so clearly NYU is not for me.

From there I was set on screenwriting-exclusive programs (USC / UCLA, and so on) thinking that I really wanted nothing to do with directing and the rest. Upon further reflection, I realized that it would do me a lot of good to learn the language of directing, acting, producing, etc, since I don't have a thorough background in film, and all of these elements certainly go far to inform one's writing skills.

Upon further research, I found that Columbia has a comprehensive Writing / Directing / Producing curriculum for the first year, with acting workshops mixed in as well, and then they leave you to your own volition to choose the discipline that you wish to pursue, which for me is screenwriting.

And thus, I start at Columbia in the fall, and I'm thrilled. I feel confident that it's the right program - the result of research, reason, and gut. Each school is different and each has their benefits and shortfalls, but the balance therein lays with the filmmaker's alignment more than that of the school's, I believe.

Think it through and go forth with vigor, determination, perspective and a finely crafted sense of humor. Have fun.

Hey, Jayimess and ArtVandelay,
I think you're right and not condescending at all. I know the programs are disparate, and there are certain ones I'm leaning toward more than others...
I want to be in NY or LA.
Columbia is a top choice because I want to have the opportunity to direct but I want the program to be writing-heavy. For UCLA I am leaning toward production because their screenwriting program doesn't seem to allow for directing as well, and it seems that even their production students write a lot of screenplays (plus, if I become a California resident, that extra year of tuition won't be so bad).
I'm less sure about NYU as well, because of the technical aspects, but I have friends there now who love it. As for USC, I would apply in the screenwriting program because my understanding is that their production program would be too technical for me and not enough writing.

NFTS is 100% because I have dreams of living in England.

columbia and nyu
i know i should look at more schools because these 2 are hard to get into and i could end up optionless =\

Hi guys, I'm applying to film schools on the west coast (UCLA/USC) and NYU - maybe a couple more smaller schools once I investigate fully.

Point taken from Jayimess on programs... I think it has a lot to do with faculty and how well you will get on with potential mentors. Also finding a faculty member who fits your philosophy is paramount over how big the school is/who has a the latest HD equipment etc.

Judging by the success rate for graduates who actually make any money, should probably practice the bar/waiter/gigolo skills for once we graduate eh?

I'm applying to UCLA, Texas, FSU, Cal Arts, Chapman, and SCAD for production. Last year I only applied to UCLA thinking that even if I didn't get in, I'd be fine taking a year off and trying again. UCLA is still my dream, but I also like most of the qualities of the other schools. Plus with admissions as competitive as they are, I'm just hoping I can get into one of these schools. Lots of work and preparation but it'll be worth it. Good luck to everyone else.

just curious, jpcam- what have you been doing this year? filmmaking or bumming?

because right now i'm sorta thinking of taking a year off too if i dont get into nyu or columbia..what do you recommend?

I think Jayimess' advice is good, and its important to research which schools are the best fit for what you are looking for instead of just going on reputation alone. However, I think that is advice better taken after the app process if you are lucky enough to have an option between different schools. There are so few quality graduate film programs, it seems unwise to limit yourself on the application end. When I got interviewed at NYU, they seemed incredulous that I had applied to their program as well as USC (feigned incredulity, since it happens all the time). I told them that if they took me I would gladly attend their program over USC's (um, they didn't take me anyway) but that given the odds at any given school it was wise to cast a slightly wider net. Point is, one school might be a better fit, but picking between high quality programs is a luxury if you get into multiple ones. Yes, you can always reapply if you are bent on going to one place, but from my experience if you are in a top program and are driven you will get what you want out of it, regardless of how it is specifically structured. For example, at UCLA it is true that the screenwriting students are not officially exposed to directing through classwork (and i would definitely recommend USC or Columbia over UCLA for any writer who also wants to dabble in directing), but I know several screenwriters who are driven enough to want to direct that they do it anyway, and have found loopholes to get the schools' equipment, called on directing and cinematography students to get free crew, etc.

Sorry if that was rambling. I say apply to as many as you can afford to in time and money, and educate yourself on the specifics of each so that you can make an informed choice if and when you get to choose between them.

Originally posted by blue8:
just curious, jpcam- what have you been doing this year? filmmaking or bumming?
A little of both. I graduated in Dec. and traveled a little. I drove from Virginia to LA, then drove to Utah to live for two months to research, finish editing a film, and write. Now I'm back in LA working at a restaurant and attending some classes.
In Sept. I'm doing the Professional Screenwriting Program at UCLA. In my free time though, I'm always reading or working on my grad school stuff. I've really taken advantage of the LA library. I'm constantly checking out books. So overall, it's been a great experience. As cliche as it might sound, I've learned a lot about myself and life in general, as well as the type of filmmaker I'm striving to become. Just make sure you have some money saved up and really concentrate on your goals. Think of it as your year to do what you want. It's your time to grow as a filmmaker. Take advantage of it.

Dont forget about UNCSA, it is a great school and its a shame no one considers it, since its a top 10 film school.

Im just saying cuz I go there.

Do they have an MFA program? Either way, the film "All the Real Girls" is amazing and is made up of mostly UNCSA alums.

I hope they're changing it, but as of right now the only graduate film program offered at NCSA is in composition. I'm currently in Carrboro, NC and I contacted them before anyone else... if they had MFA screenwriting, I might not be packing to go to Chapman right now.

(Might, because location is important and Central North Carolina has thus far not proved to be a fertile ground for script selling)

I am applying to UCLA, USC and AFI and am wondering if anyone knows if the GRE is mandatory or helpful for any of those programs. I am a long way out from my BA and have lots of work experience so I wonder if the GRE is necessary.

gigglesnort - that information is on each program's website and you should check it, but i believe that none of those programs require the GRE.

ard23 - thank you for this, i totally agree with you. that's part of why i am applying to programs that people (rightly) noted are different. if i ultimately decide that the only place i get into isn't right for me, maybe i'll wait a year. but i wouldn't want to not apply to, say, usc, just because i presently like the sound of ucla's program better (hypothetically). i want to see where i get in (and what it will realistically cost me - financial aid is mythical beast but it does turn up from time to time) and then make a decision.

And again, he comes from the darkness.
Every year the Limbo frees all the beasts to damn the world of the alive, frightening the good souls...
The nightmare is awaken, and is going to get you!

TO BE CONTINUED...

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back