caruss

Supporting Member
Hey everyone!

I'm a college senior graduating this December with a degree in film. I'm excited by the idea of writing features, but my interest is mainly television. Since the application period coincides with the tail-end of my thesis (and I don't have much money), I'm trying to be conservative with the number of programs I apply to. It seemed at first that of the top schools, USC might be my best bet for building a TV portfolio, but UCLA's site says you can opt for a body of work that includes two pilots, a spec, and three features -- which I love.

Does anyone have thoughts as to which screenwriting MFAs are strongest for someone looking to specialize in TV?

Thanks.

Kira

MFA TV Writer @UCLA
Hi,

I strongly recommend UCLA's MFA in Screenwriting to pursue TV writing. I did -- and came out with many scripts because of it. UCLA's curriculum is very flexible so it can be as rigorous as you want. I wanted to write a lot, so I did. I came out writing 3 features, 1 comedy, and 6 drama pilots (not to mention TA'ing and/or interning every quarter as well). Yup -- six drama pilots is one a quarter - so yes I did double up a lot, often writing a feature and drama pilot in 10 weeks. It was a lot, but taught me to become efficient and fast. Feel free to browse my past posts about life at UCLA -- I covered it a LOT haha.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• International Film Institute of New York
    5.00 star(s)
    The summer intensive film program at Sarah Lawrence was fantastic. We were taught by industry professionals, whom had many years of experience...
    • Ldc88
    5.00 star(s)
    I experienced the most incredible summer at IFI, and I wish I could relive it every day! however, since I cannot , I make do by taking what I...
    • Anonymous
    5.00 star(s)
    I have been engaged with filmmaking since the age of 9 and was searching for a course that could further my knoll which is not always easy to...
    • sgabor
    5.00 star(s)
    The Sarah Lawrence Filmmaker's Collective was the top experience I've had at a summer film program. Start to finish, their top priority was that...
    • sammaggs
    5.00 star(s)
    I went into this camp uncertain of what I wanted to do in college. When I finished the five week intensive program, I knew what I wanted to do for...
    • JacobNurse