1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered.
  2. Did you go to film school for undergrad? Please review the school on our Film School review system. (You can review anonymously)
    Dismiss Notice
Chris W
BUCOM3.jpg

Boston University - College of Communication (M.F.A. Screenwriting)

Degrees Offered:
Concentrations:
Tuition Range:
$40k to $50k
A well-rounded screenwriter is a more effective screenwriter. That’s why a well-rounded curriculum lies at the heart of Boston University’s ...
BUCOM3.jpg
  1. Chris W

Chris W Get Busy Living Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +334
    #1 Chris W, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  2. Lychee

Lychee New Member

Ratings:
    +9
    If anyone out there is current BU MFA screenwriting student or an alum, I'd love to connect. I was just accepted for fall of 2018 and I'm excited about the possibility of attending. Thanks!

• Congratulations! Congratulations! x 4
  3. Kira

Kira MFA Screenwriter @UCLA

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +251
    I did not go to BU for the MFA program, but I went to BU for my undergrad and took screenwriting classes / knew the MFA students. I know a bit about the program so feel free to ask :)

4. Lychee

Lychee New Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Just Dm'ed you Kira! Thanks, much.

5. Hannaheh

Hannaheh New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey @Lychee - I just got my offer too (for TV), but I went here for undergrad and really liked the program and the professors.

6. civetta

civetta Member

Ratings:
    +24
    hey, congratulations to everyone who got accepted! I got my offer too.
    I haven’t decided yet, but can you tell me more about the program, professors, opportunities? any information )) thank you!

7. Riki Tiki Tavi

Riki Tiki Tavi Member

Ratings:
    +21
    well, i’m out. sorry guys. just got my letter of rejection today. pretty impersonal! too bad, was hoping to get some feedback.

still, i’m surprisingly chipper about it! thought i’d be feeling much more bummed about this. i can’t imagine why...

• Hang in there! Hang in there! x 1
  8. civetta

civetta Member

Ratings:
    +24
    is anybody planning to go for open house in March?

9. Forrest3

Forrest3 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm definitely going. If you're considering BU I'd definitely go, it seems like they set the whole thing up really well so that you get a chance to meet the faculty and sit in on a class. I forget all of the opportunities the open house has to offer, but if anyone ends up deciding to go I'm excited to meet all/any of you.

10. civetta

civetta Member

Ratings:
    +24
    what program have you applied to?

11. Forrest3

Forrest3 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Screenwriting

12. civetta

civetta Member

Ratings:
    +24
    well, then I hope to see you there ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Forrest3

Forrest3 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I hope so too.. Are you leaning toward BU or still keeping options open?

14. civetta

civetta Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I really like BU program, but still deciding between BU and Chapman. Hope that Open House will give me more information.
    What your options are?

15. Forrest3

Forrest3 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    BU, still waiting to hear back from Emerson.. I also applied to Columbia, NYU, Northwestern and USC but those aren't looking so hot since notifications for those schools have already been sent out and I haven't heard anything. Good luck making your decision! Chapman has an awesome program too

16. civetta

civetta Member

Ratings:
    +24
    thank you. good luck to you too.
    hope to see you in Boston next week.

#16 civetta, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  17. Hannaheh

Hannaheh New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey - I went for undergrad and have been contemplating grad school there, but I can't swing the open house with my current job. As far as the program - I think it is what you make of it. Professor Schneider, the head of the department, gets mixed reviews I think because he's not necessarily warm and fuzzy so he won't tell everyone what they want to hear, but he is extremely constructive and wants to see you succeed as I would say most of the professors do. Again - if you do a little research it's easy enough to weed out any outliers from that majority. The LA program is hugely beneficial considering you are on the east coast for most of your time there while preparing for a career that will most likely take you to the west coast. Nearly all my friends who went through it either found a job through their BU internship out their or through the BU network. Hope that helps some!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Manwitch

Manwitch Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Does anyone know roughly how many students are admitted into the Screenwriting MFA? I'm considering submitting an 11th hour application since they have rolling admissions until May 1st but I'm trying to gauge the futility of that if the class size is compact and they've already begun accepting people.

19. civetta

civetta Member

Ratings:
    +24
    usually they accepted 16-18 students

20. Manwitch

Manwitch Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I see. Thanks. That's tighter than I thought. Perhaps I'll wait for the priority deadline next year.