Boston University MFA Screenwriting Current Student AMA

I went to BU as an undergrad ages ago! Geller was the screenwriting Prof then but I think he's gone now.

How many are in the program?

Thanks for offering to do this!

What do they have you working on now? What's been the most exciting? What has surprised you the most? What do you wish you knew before you attended? :)

Working on a second feature and a spec for an hour long drama currently—I chose The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina for that. Surprised? I was in the military—where shit never goes to plan—so nothing really surprised me. I wish I knew how swanky Brookline, MA was cause I probs would’ve got a place elsewherez

Hey, I’m in the screenwriting program at BU so if you have some questions I can do my best to answer!
Hey thanks for doing this! Do you feel like you’re getting a lot out of the program so far? Have you gotten any sense of how successful students are after they graduate? Are you enjoying living in Boston? Is there decent housing that’s at least somewhat affordable? Thanks!

I have 100 percent become a better writer. I’ve been happy with the curriculum so far, the workshops are always great, and it’s just great being around people interested in the same thing.
As to prior students, there is a solid amount of success. There’s someone from the last graduating class that I know of who just got an official job with Sony. It’s like any program, you still have to work after you get the degree, the MFA itself won’t just magically get your script green lit but you will have the tools to put yourself in position to do so. There are a lot of BU grads not just in screenwriting, but from the general College of Communication that work in LA.
Boston is fun, there’s a lot to do. As far as affordable housing, I mean that’s relative to the person and the area. Like Brookline is sort of swanky so the prices go up. I wouldn’t expect to pay anything less than $1000 a month.

I have 100 percent become a better writer. I’ve been happy with the curriculum so far, the workshops are always great, and it’s just great being around people interested in the same thing.
As to prior students, there is a solid amount of success. There’s someone from the last graduating class that I know of who just got an official job with Sony. It’s like any program, you still have to work after you get the degree, the MFA itself won’t just magically get your script green lit but you will have the tools to put yourself in position to do so. There are a lot of BU grads not just in screenwriting, but from the general College of Communication that work in LA.
Boston is fun, there’s a lot to do. As far as affordable housing, I mean that’s relative to the person and the area. Like Brookline is sort of swanky so the prices go up. I wouldn’t expect to pay anything less than $1000 a month.
Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Hey, I’m in the screenwriting program at BU so if you have some questions I can do my best to answer!
Just thought of one more thing. The semester in LA was a big reason why I applied and it seems like a great opportunity. Have they gone into any more detail about that throughout your time there?

Just thought of one more thing. The semester in LA was a big reason why I applied and it seems like a great opportunity. Have they gone into any more detail about that throughout your time there?
They have not talked about it a lot yet. It seems to be something they want to focus more on when you reach fall of your second year.

There's a production course that is required in the first semester-- how many opportunities have you had after that to produce your scripts? Are there ample opportunities to produce any of your work there? Is it even a requirement?

Are there teaching assistantships available? What other methods are typically used to finance the education?

There's a production course that is required in the first semester-- how many opportunities have you had after that to produce your scripts? Are there ample opportunities to produce any of your work there? Is it even a requirement?

Are there teaching assistantships available? What other methods are typically used to finance the education?
The production course is required but, if you’ve taken a video production in say undergrad, you can get out of the one they schedule you for and take something else. A couple people did that in my class.

There are fair amount of opportunities. They actually just created a script data base only for BU students so that scripts could be shared between the film and TV students. You can TA your first year, for COM 101, in your second year there’s an option to TA for an undergrad screenwriting course where you get your own discussion section that you have A ton of control over how it’s taught.
It’s also worth noting that BU will cover the cost for enter screenwriting competitions.

Thanks for doing this. Do the screenwriting program and the directing program every meet for a project? Can you talk a little about your application process, like how you got in?

They do not meet as an official class, but you have opportunities to work with them. I'm not quite sure what you mean with the second part. What did I submit? Or how they notified me?

S
They do not meet as an official class, but you have opportunities to work with them. I'm not quite sure what you mean with the second part. What did I submit? Or how they notified me?
sorry for the unclarity. I mean,like what did you submit, what was your GPA etc

I submitted part of a feature and a short, and my gpa was a 3.3 aside from that there’s the video and the personal statement
Do you mind adding what you remember from your application to the tracker? That would be helpful to a lot of people. :)

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back