CalArts Directing MFA 2020

itsnoteasybeinggreen

Supporting Member
CalArts
USC
Hey guys! I couldn't find a CalArts application thread but there may be a better place for this conversation to go. I'm attending the CalArts Interview Day on the 6th and was wondering if anyone else would be there? Any chance anyone is interested in carpooling? Figured it would be more ideal than Ubering or something.

Geoffrey Gao

Hey guys! I couldn't find a CalArts application thread but there may be a better place for this conversation to go. I'm attending the CalArts Interview Day on the 6th and was wondering if anyone else would be there? Any chance anyone is interested in carpooling? Figured it would be more ideal than Ubering or something.
How was your interview?I just finished yesterday.

itsnoteasybeinggreen

Supporting Member
CalArts
USC
How was the interview day?
Hey! It was fun! Got to meet tons of interviewees for every programs - experimental animation, film directing, and film and video. the schedule was interviews, student film screening, tours, and finally a get together with drinks and food at the end where you could talk to current students and faculty.
Also, sorry I blanked on responding before! Congrats on your interview!!! They said we should be hearing sometime in the next two weeks :)

Johnella18

USC - Applied
Hey! It was fun! Got to meet tons of interviewees for every programs - experimental animation, film directing, and film and video. the schedule was interviews, student film screening, tours, and finally a get together with drinks and food at the end where you could talk to current students and faculty.
Also, sorry I blanked on responding before! Congrats on your interview!!! They said we should be hearing sometime in the next two weeks :)
Cool so what’d you think of the campus and the area? How were the facilities etc. ? I’m trying to live through you lol I wanted to go but it just didn’t work out

itsnoteasybeinggreen

Supporting Member
CalArts
USC
Cool so what’d you think of the campus and the area? How were the facilities etc. ? I’m trying to live through you lol I wanted to go but it just didn’t work out
Honestly, it’s a little 1970s architecture. Mostly concrete square buildings but there are incredible views of the mountains from every part of campus. It isn’t super close to LA. I was coming to campus from the edge of Brentwood and it was about a 35 minute commute (and I was very early) but you’ll always be in opposite traffic until you’re in LA when commuting which is good and easy.
Current grad students pretty much swear off living on campus. There seem to be apartments in walking and biking distance but they're similarly priced to apartments in LA. Most grad students I talked to lived close by.
They clearly value learning analogue (which I love!)and allow 16mm and 35mm to be options throughout your time at school (although you do have to pay for it). There were a few sound stages, all that we saw were pretty great. Overall, it is clearly a school who’s faculty cares about its students and the work that they want to make. Please let me know if there are anymore specific questions.

Johnella18

USC - Applied
Honestly, it’s a little 1970s architecture. Mostly concrete square buildings but there are incredible views of the mountains from every part of campus. It isn’t super close to LA. I was coming to campus from the edge of Brentwood and it was about a 35 minute commute (and I was very early) but you’ll always be in opposite traffic until you’re in LA when commuting which is good and easy.
Current grad students pretty much swear off living on campus. There seem to be apartments in walking and biking distance but they're similarly priced to apartments in LA. Most grad students I talked to lived close by.
They clearly value learning analogue (which I love!)and allow 16mm and 35mm to be options throughout your time at school (although you do have to pay for it). There were a few sound stages, all that we saw were pretty great. Overall, it is clearly a school who’s faculty cares about its students and the work that they want to make. Please let me know if there are anymore specific questions.
Ohh super helpful thank you! Do you know why they swear off living on campus?

itsnoteasybeinggreen

Supporting Member
CalArts
USC
Thanks same to you! Honestly after my interview it became my first choice. I'm most likely going there. What about you?
I'm not sure. If I'm honest, I also got into USC (waitlisted but can go in the Spring at the latest) and toured both campuses while I was here for the CalArts interview. USC is hard to say no to. But I'll certainly be in LA! :) The faculty at CalArts seems very very invested in its students which is heartwarming and a massive draw.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
Yay I got in too! Can't agree more with @itsnoteasybeinggreen @Johnella18. Calarts wasn't my first choice, but after the interview, I am so intrigued and drawn to Calarts. Making up my mind is so hard...
Congrats! Gave you the CalArts badge as you're a Supporting Member so you should now have access to the private CalArts forum. :)

Latest Classifieds

Featured Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• UCLA TFT - Screenwriting (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    The Right Move For Me
    I have loved this program so far! For me, it was the right move. Coming from out-of-state, I learned a lot about LA and housing, but it could have...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Chicago - Department of Cinema and Media Studies
    5.00 star(s)
    In my opinion, the University of Chicago's Cinema & Media Studies program is one of the most outstanding and underrated programs out there. I...
    • jn0pe
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    I went to Emerson for my undergrad for VMA (Visual media arts, just generally the film program) and...it was a lot of fun, I certainly learned...
    • julia1
  • Temple University - School of Theater, Film and Media Arts
    4.00 star(s)
    I graduated in 2013 and know several recent graduates ( 2017-2019 classes) as well. My personal and their related experiences are the basis for...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Rochester - Film and Media Studies Program
    5.00 star(s)
    I graduated from UofR with a double major in Film and Media Studies and Economics. My experiences at Rochester really shaped my filmmaking career...
    • dkimg21