1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered.
  2. Did you go to film school for undergrad? Please review the school on our Film School review system. (You can review anonymously)
    Dismiss Notice

California Film Schools, Pre reqs

Discussion in 'Undergraduate Film School Discussions' started by Daisy Stricler, May 17, 2018.

1. Daisy Stricler

Daisy Stricler New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, I will be going into film production / cinema-photography, possibly screenwriting, currently attending Columbia College in Sonora, California with little to no pre reqs available to take for just about any film major / degree to any schools here in California though I have / will have a completed IGETC, hopefully transferring by Fall of 2019, will be applying to schools this Fall.

Although, I was wondering what schools I should consider applying to / have a chance with and whether any schools look at whether you've completed any pre reqs and how many? The only two pre reqs I will have completed are Film Appreciation and Photography I. The sister College to Columbia College is Modesto Junior College which, I believe, have more offered classes related to Film so if Colleges really rely on you taking as many pre reqs as possibly I can attend there as well.

Of course, I will be applying to UCLA, big leagues for film (will more likely attend there for my masters) with, so far, CSUN as my backup, more likely to get in, though I just read for non-locals you require to have a 3.7 GPA which is definitely doable but what's the chances of me getting in compared to locals film applicants who have a 2.0+ GPA? Which other schools should I apply to that have great Film programs?

I will have between a 3.6 - 3.75 GPA by the end of fall.

Much appreciated. Best regards,
    Daisy

2. Chris W

Chris W Get Busy Living Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +336
    Are you transferring in for a BA or is this for a MFA?

3. Daisy Stricler

Daisy Stricler New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Transferring for a BA

Though if I don't get accepted into UCLA's film program, I'd like to attend UCLA for my MFA in the future. Although, quick question? Would it be more worth it to continue applying to UCLA for my BA until I, possibly, get accepted or should I just attend say, CSUN for my BA then apply to UCLA for my MFA?

4. Chris W

Chris W Get Busy Living Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +336
    No real need to go to film school for BOTH undergrad and graduate.

For sure keep on applying to UCLA... Can't hurt. Maybe @IndecisiveElle can chime in too as she works with undergrads.

But more importantly... What are your goals in going to film school? What aspect of film are you most interested in? That'll help with the answers.