• THANKSGIVING WEEK LIFETIME SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP SALE: If you are finding FilmSchool.org helpful, consider becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $16! (20% off) by entering the coupon code THANKS. Coupon expires Sunday 11/29 at midnight PST.

Can you recommend me which is the best MFA film school? (From S.Korea, Can't search information well:(

BruceNme

Hi I am looking for to enroll MFA film school emphasizing directing
Hope you guys make rank for me

University List
1. UCLA (I know for 2021 they don't accept people :(
2. USC
3. Chapman University
4. LMU
5. University of Texas at Austin
6. Stony Brook
7. Syracuse

Stony Brook and Syracuse are on list as insurance because my GPA is not reach 3.0
Give me any questions and oppinion plz!

llueve

Supporter
Hi BruceNme,
Are you asking for people to tell you how each of those 7 schools rank in relationship to each other?
Is that the question?

If so, I think your order is pretty accurate, as far as the reputation of each school.
Rank according to lists like this one, for example: The Top 25 American Film Schools | Hollywood Reporter

USC and UCLA are two top schools with very good reputations for their programs. They are also both in LA, which boosts their reputations. USC is reportedly wealthier and has a lot of connections to mainstream industry, though it is very expensive. UCLA has a good reputation and is a bit less expensive.

Chapman and LMU come after, they are not as known as USC and UCLA, but are not unknown. It helps that they are in LA / close to LA.

The UT Austin program has been growing in esteem over the last few years. It's in Texas, so it's far from the "film capital" (but that's something I kind of like about the program, personally!).

And the last two on your list are, as you seem to know, not as highly ranked as the other programs.

So your order is correct, pretty much, as far as reputation.

Whether that means these programs are the best for you is a different question!

Does this help? Did you want names of more schools for your list? Or were you trying to filter out and apply to fewer schools?

lucychoi97

Supporter
hi i'm from south korea too!
i really want to answer those questions in korean but i'll just answer in english.
i see you got a great list of film schools there, but if you're GPA is not over 3.0, I don't really recommend applying to schools like USC since it's already competitive there with good GPAs. But still there is no minimum GPA as far as I know so if you still wish to apply, you still can :)
If you have any more question, feel free to msg me!
화이팅 ㅎㅎ

BruceNme

hi i'm from south korea too!
i really want to answer those questions in korean but i'll just answer in english.
i see you got a great list of film schools there, but if you're GPA is not over 3.0, I don't really recommend applying to schools like USC since it's already competitive there with good GPAs. But still there is no minimum GPA as far as I know so if you still wish to apply, you still can :)
If you have any more question, feel free to msg me!
화이팅 ㅎㅎ
really nice of you!! 감사합니다 ㅠㅠ
yeah my GPA is not impressive.. but anyway I decided not to apply to USC because of high tuition ,also bad reviews of the curriculum.
I rearrange my list!

Chapman
DePaul
Syracuse
Austin
LMU

I am not sure about any kind of documents I write but wish me luck :)

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Chapman
DePaul
Syracuse
Austin
LMU
Good list!

I don't think any 2021 threads have been started for those programs yet if you want to start some to meet more of your fellow applicants and potential classmates:

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya
  • University of Texas at Austin - Department of Radio-Television-Film
    4.00 star(s)
    Great film school outside of LA/NYC
    I would say overall UT's film school is a great choice! It is rated #11 on THR's Top Film School List in the U.S. Sure it's nowhere near LA or NY...
    • Anonymous
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Directing (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    a great decision
    Columbia College Chicago is not only one of America's best film schools it is also one of the most affordable. The program is advertised as 2...
    • Jcromwell
  • Fitchburg State University
    4.00 star(s)
    Okay School, especially for the price
    Came in as both a transfer and commuter, so my experience was really lessened by that fact. Your time and success here is really up to you...
    • Anonymous
  • SUNY Purchase - Playwriting & Screenwriting BA
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Quality Program
    I want to start off by mentioning that I came to Purchase as a transfer student from another liberal arts college and screenwriting program. This...
    • catmom