Chapman 2019 MFA Television Writing and Producing

I just received an email last night inviting me to interview in person or opt for a skype interview. I can't afford to fly so I will opt for the skype interview and hope it doesn't hurt my chances. Anyone else?

@Operator You interviewed with them last year correct? I will search the forums but just incase you didn't give details; How did it go? How long did it last? What questions did they ask? Any info helps!

Congrats!

Thanks! I chose the earliest date, next Monday. I rather get these over with instead of stressing for longer than I have to. It's kind of scary going in not knowing what to expect. I don't think Chapman commonly interviews either, but I remember them interviewing Operator last year.- Actually I just checked the google sheets and I suspect the interview is due to crossing over into the producing classes because producing majors do get interviews every year.

Yea let us know how it goes! Super excited for you. So far no interviews from Chapman or lmu. But I saw that it isn’t a requirement sooooo I’m just over here like ??‍♀️. We’ll see what happens. Do you know how long it is?

Yea let us know how it goes! Super excited for you. So far no interviews from Chapman or lmu. But I saw that it isn’t a requirement sooooo I’m just over here like ??‍♀️. We’ll see what happens. Do you know how long it is?

it's a 30 minute time slot I believe. If nerves don't get the best of me, i'll try to remember to ask about the new interview process. No gaurentees though, I'm a mess when under pressure. lol

I just received an email last night inviting me to interview in person or opt for a skype interview. I can't afford to fly so I will opt for the skype interview and hope it doesn't hurt my chances. Anyone else?

@Operator You interviewed with them last year correct? I will search the forums but just incase you didn't give details; How did it go? How long did it last? What questions did they ask? Any info helps!
The interview was very casual. They mainly asked questions about my writing process from inception to completion.
FYI, it's a $1,000 deposit that's due 2 weeks after you've been notified of you're acceptance.

The interview was very casual. They mainly asked questions about my writing process from inception to completion.
FYI, it's a $1,000 deposit that's due 2 weeks after you've been notified of you're acceptance.

I have heard. They are usually one of the last to notify of acceptances though, so hopefully I'll know my answer by the time they accept me. Last year it was around march 20th, but I did see that you were accepted in February? Which seems odd and I hope that won't be the case for me. I wont have any other answers back by that time frame.

I'm a film&tv producing applicant and just got an interview invitation email as well. I also chose to interview via skype. Fingers crossed!

Does anyone know how long it takes for the cinematography course? from what I've read they don't do interviews for cinematography. I'm an international student, so it would be great to get a heads up before having to only two weeks to pay $1.000

So I chose television writing and producing as my 2nd choice program. Does anyone know how often people don't get accepted into their first choice but get accepted into their second choice?

So I chose television writing and producing as my 2nd choice program. Does anyone know how often people don't get accepted into their first choice but get accepted into their second choice?

I have never heard of someone getting their second choice at Chapman but this is only the second year of their television writing and producing mfa, so there's not enough info to know yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys!
I got the interview email yesterday as well! I am beyond excited! I choose the in person interview at the end of feb. For those of you who will interview first, could you let me know what kind of question will they ask? Fyi, I applied for the producer program!

How was your interview? Any tips?
I have heard. They are usually one of the last to notify of acceptances though, so hopefully I'll know my answer by the time they accept me. Last year it was around march 20th, but I did see that you were accepted in February? Which seems odd and I hope that won't be the case for me. I wont have any other answers back by that time frame.

For those who had a skype interview, do they send a separate e-mail asking for your skype username? I'm wondering how they're supposed to contact me on Skype.

For those who had a skype interview, do they send a separate e-mail asking for your skype username? I'm wondering how they're supposed to contact me on Skype.

You had to include your skype username when you selected your appointment.

and I'll give some info on my interview when i get home from school tonight. I've been insanely busy due to procrastination.

So I was interviewed by two screenwriting professors and one directing professor. It went well but not as relaxed as the LMU interview I had last week. I guess the questions felt more on the spot but I also, for whatever reason, felt more nervous which didn’t help my train of thought.

Since we all submitted their 1 – 2 page episode outline instead of an actual writing sample, they asked me questions based on my resume.

Aside from the resume specific questions, they asked:

Why Chapman?

What led you down the path to screenwriting?

What TV shows are you currently watching?

What would you like to write?

What genres?

They then went into telling me about the program. It sounds like we will write and collaborate with the production majors to produce a comedy or drama episode. They stressed how intense it can be, time and workload wise, and wanted to know I can handle it.

(This sounds similar to a lot of AFI interviews I’ve read here so maybe they are leaning towards a program similar to AFI?)

It’s a different feel than LMU for anyone who applied to both. I can see, depending on interest, that some may prefer one to the other.

Also my interview lasted 14 minutes out of a 20 or 30 minute time slot, which started about ten minutes late. I was nervous that it was a problem on my end but it was on their end. They called me just as the skype call went through, so I awkwardly waved at them while on the phone with them. lol

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back