• THANKSGIVING WEEK LIFETIME SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP SALE: If you are finding FilmSchool.org helpful, consider becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $16! (20% off) by entering the coupon code THANKS. Coupon expires Sunday 11/29 at midnight PST.

Chapman 2020 - TV Writing & Producing

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Hey, all! So I was notified a few days ago that I have been accepted off the waitlist. So if anyone is still holding out, it's definitely possible :) (Although I am contemplating deferring till next year. Life is just too crazy at the moment)
Congrats!

Hi! So sorry I’m just seeing this. Your reply didn’t come directly to me so I wasn’t notified about your post! Here are my answers to your questions. I do hope this helps!!

What’s been your favorite and least favorite class?

My favorite class is a class that you’ll take in your second semester, where you will write your short film/short pilot that you’ll shoot during the following semester. I love it because the finished product is script that you’ll get to guide through the production process as a showrunner! And that’s really exciting!

I do think I found value in each class we’ve had, but I would say my least favorite was History of Television.

Do you have a favorite professor?

They’re really all great, honestly. It’s so clear that they want us to succeed, and they do everything they can to make sure we do.

How many scripts have you completed?

As part of the curriculum, you’ll finish the first year with two specs of existing shows—one comedy (fall) and one drama (spring). You’ll also write your original short that you’ll shoot in January. In the second year, you’ll write at least two long form original specs, though you can write more if you want/have time! You’re also more than welcome to write outside of class, too!

Do you work with others to write or are you writing on your own and then workshopping together?

You do write on your own, but we table read everything. You also pitch to the group and get notes about concept before you even start writing. So it’s incredibly collaborative.

How has online learning been?

Since our classes are writing focused, the shift to online hasn’t been that bad. We had two classes in the Spring that were difficult to adapt to the online format (directing actors & a production class), but we made it work! The hardest part about being online is that you miss your cohort.

Have you don’t any production class yet?

We’ve had two production classes and I’ve PA’d on several student sets. I love doing this because it’s one of the best ways to meet people from other programs.

What is the work load like the first year?

It’s writing intensive, but you’ll also spend a lot of time generating ideas for writing. For several of us, the scripts were developing this year are based on ideas we came up in classes during the first year. Second semester was more hectic than first, as that’s when we really started learning more about the production side, but it was a lot of fun.

What’s been your favorite and least favorite class?

Do you have a favorite professor?

How many scripts have you completed?

Do you work with others to write or are you writing on your own and then workshopping together?

How has online learning been?

Have you don’t any production class yet?

What is the work load like the first year?

Thanks for doing this!

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya
  • University of Texas at Austin - Department of Radio-Television-Film
    4.00 star(s)
    Great film school outside of LA/NYC
    I would say overall UT's film school is a great choice! It is rated #11 on THR's Top Film School List in the U.S. Sure it's nowhere near LA or NY...
    • Anonymous
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Directing (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    a great decision
    Columbia College Chicago is not only one of America's best film schools it is also one of the most affordable. The program is advertised as 2...
    • Jcromwell
  • Fitchburg State University
    4.00 star(s)
    Okay School, especially for the price
    Came in as both a transfer and commuter, so my experience was really lessened by that fact. Your time and success here is really up to you...
    • Anonymous
  • SUNY Purchase - Playwriting & Screenwriting BA
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Quality Program
    I want to start off by mentioning that I came to Purchase as a transfer student from another liberal arts college and screenwriting program. This...
    • catmom