Chapman Editing Track Graduate - AMA!

Hi!

Did you find the program intensive?

What types of things did you do on set? How many days were you on set?

How were the professors?

Did you audit or take any classes outside of your editing discipline?

Mike_V

Staff member
Hi!

Did you find the program intensive?

What types of things did you do on set? How many days were you on set?

How were the professors?

Did you audit or take any classes outside of your editing discipline?
It comes in waves. It gets pretty intense once you work on your own cycle and thesis films because most of your life would be consumed by it.

first year, I took any position I can get because I just wanted to know. I was 2nd AC, Grip, Boom Op, and script supervisor
2nd year, i had cycle films to be responsible for, so for my own films, I was the script supervisor and sometimes the sound mixer (rarely). I help out others on their cycle films as a grip for the most part. Sometimes I'm the boom op.
3rd year, i was script supervisor for the thesis film.

Professors are great, but I also highly recommend you take the time to talk to them and get as much as you can out of them outside of class. For editing, we didn't learn much of "how to use avid" but more of "how to cut seamlessly and techniques that will help you get away with issues in a scene" as well as "what not to do"

Chapman is a flat rate fee, so I took a lot of other classes. Namely I did Foley & ADR and also got Avid & Protools certified. I also hang out at other classes sometimes just to get a feel of it. Sometimes I sit in on a directing class (not officially, but i just ask if I can sit in)

Hope that helps!

P.S Please tag or quote me so I know there's a response just in case I didn't check the forum that day!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Cal State Northridge (CSUN) - MFA in Screenwriting Program
    3.00 star(s)
    I was accepted to the CSUN MFA program in 2018 and took part in in for a full year; however, I recently decided not to go back and complete the...
    • Anonymous
  • Savannah College of Art and Design (MFA)
    1.00 star(s)
    The school is a complete honeypot, department head Donald.W Moffett has limited film production experience and has not idea how to properly guide...
    • Anonymous
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Emerson opened a lot of doors for me, so I can't dismiss that fact. However, I don't think it was necessary for me to go to Emerson as opposed to...
    • Anonymous
  • NYU - Tisch Kanbar Institute of Film and Television (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    Currently in my third year of my MFA at NYU Tisch Grad Film (writing/directing). I cannot praise this program enough! It exceeded any expectation...
    • Anonymous
  • National Film and Television School (NFTS)
    5.00 star(s)
    I'm currently in my first year of a 2 year MA at the NFTS. I saw these relatively negative reviews about the NFTS before I applied, but I can now...
    • VDW