Chapman Editing Track Graduate - AMA!

Hi!

Did you find the program intensive?

What types of things did you do on set? How many days were you on set?

How were the professors?

Did you audit or take any classes outside of your editing discipline?

It comes in waves. It gets pretty intense once you work on your own cycle and thesis films because most of your life would be consumed by it.

first year, I took any position I can get because I just wanted to know. I was 2nd AC, Grip, Boom Op, and script supervisor
2nd year, i had cycle films to be responsible for, so for my own films, I was the script supervisor and sometimes the sound mixer (rarely). I help out others on their cycle films as a grip for the most part. Sometimes I'm the boom op.
3rd year, i was script supervisor for the thesis film.

Professors are great, but I also highly recommend you take the time to talk to them and get as much as you can out of them outside of class. For editing, we didn't learn much of "how to use avid" but more of "how to cut seamlessly and techniques that will help you get away with issues in a scene" as well as "what not to do"

Chapman is a flat rate fee, so I took a lot of other classes. Namely I did Foley & ADR and also got Avid & Protools certified. I also hang out at other classes sometimes just to get a feel of it. Sometimes I sit in on a directing class (not officially, but i just ask if I can sit in)

Hope that helps!

P.S Please tag or quote me so I know there's a response just in case I didn't check the forum that day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! Thank you for this AMA! @Mike_V

I'm curious what kind of experience you had before going in. Was there anything you wished you had prepared beforehand? Any tips for someone starting without any prior experience?

Also, would you recommend this program for someone who has multiple interests? For instance, I'm interested in both editing and directing, so I'm wondering whether I might be better-served to choose a more holistic program elsewhere.

Finally, what was your experience looking for work after graduation? Did your degree from Chapman help you, and were you able to develop any relationships with alumni? Did you do any internships during your time as a student, and did Chapman provide any opportunities to network or build career connections?

Hi! Thank you for this AMA! @Mike_V

I'm curious what kind of experience you had before going in. Was there anything you wished you had prepared beforehand? Any tips for someone starting without any prior experience?

Also, would you recommend this program for someone who has multiple interests? For instance, I'm interested in both editing and directing, so I'm wondering whether I might be better-served to choose a more holistic program elsewhere.

Finally, what was your experience looking for work after graduation? Did your degree from Chapman help you, and were you able to develop any relationships with alumni? Did you do any internships during your time as a student, and did Chapman provide any opportunities to network or build career connections?

Heya,
I was editing videos for Obama's campaign in 2016 for their Georgia site for a few months before I applied to Chapman. The only thing I can think of is to get familiar with Avid Media Composer. You get a bootcamp and that's it. you'll have to pursue your certification at chapman during the breaks when you can. You really don't need any specific prior experience imho. I think you need to really think about what kind of genre you want to do and shoot some stuff. Whether it's a recreation of a scene or a script a friend wrote, what I believe is important is that you have something for them to see.
In regards to other programs, I honestly can't give you an answer because i don't know. If you go to Chapman though, you decide specifically what you want to do. You can go in as editing and try to take additional classes if you want. You can go in as directing and get access to the editing classes as well, but remember, there's a finite number of hours in a day and not all classes will be at times that you can take them all. You'll also be busy with helping on cycle films, then working on your own cycle films, then finally your thesis.

Work experience wise, i found a job within about a year. Honestly, I'm not that good with social networking so I am at a bit of a disadvantage. You should also work on establishing relationships with your fellow students (with as many as possible). this will definitely help you.
I did a few internships but tbh, i think i goofed and did internships that really didn't help me much. it was a lot of wasted money for me, but that was my fault. A lot of other people have gotten internships that really benefited them straight out of chapman. The Chapman name in itself is relatively powerful. Even now, when I intv for jobs or get contacted and they see Chapman on it, they usually comment that Chapman has a lot of good editors that have graduated from there.

I hope that helps.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back