Chapman Fall 2010

Orientation is that week before school starts, August 24th I believe. It's not just for undergrads. Grads are all separate. They have a lot of informational sessions and then a bunch of different mixers. You will kind of get sick of mixers by the end of it :p But it's actually a very good thing to go to because it forces you to get to know people.

To those of you who are hearing back really late... yeah. That's something I really wish Chapman would change. The rolling acceptance thing, while good for people who do get in late, is kind of annoying in terms of planning. I will say this of Chapman: the professors are great, the classes are great, the student are great. But the administration frequently forgets to tell people what the hell is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, I got tired of waiting so I just called the admissions office. They were very helpful and said that we should know within the next week or two, which is when they'll send out the letters. I asked whether no webadvisor change or email equals a rejection and they said no. Stuff can still happen online, and everyone will get a letter. Sooo... let's pull together for another two weeks of patience?

so, i'm in d process of getting financial aid but since I got notified late of acceptance, things are going slow. I'm considering applying for a private loan. So far in the Chapman website, they only have a link to Sally Mae and Citibank. I know it's preferable to borrow from the federal gov't, but, since it may take some time, I might just borrow from either one of them for one semester only. Any recommendations on which one (Sally Mae or Citibank) is better when it comes to student loans? Thanks!

I applied for Directing Program. I have been given the choice for Editing. I know this happened to some people in this forum. What did you all do?

BTW, I know FCP. What is Chapman's choice: FCP or Avid?

saintelmo, your government loans will come in soon. You can fill out your info for those loans with the fed or you can fill it out with either of those two lenders.

peacemaker, they use avid.

Originally posted by wyy123:
saintelmo, your government loans will come in soon. You can fill out your info for those loans with the fed or you can fill it out with either of those two lenders.

peacemaker, they use avid.

hey wyy, i read some of your posts and we're friends on facebook through the Chapman grad accepted 2010, so how'd u get a fellowship? the only thing I got was an extension of the $1000 deposit for 3 weeks not 10 days. I explained to Alex Rose that I'm still in d process of getting my fin aid.

When I called Alex, I asked her if there was any financial aid available and she told me that I was getting a fellowship and eventually it showed up alongside the loans, but some time after.

Peacemaker,

I've read that you applied for direction but Chapman gave you the choice of editing. Were you notified by email? It's just that I got an email asking if I liked to be considered for the MA in Film Studies. I'm a little bit confused.

@ peacemaker
Chapman exclusively uses Avid. Alot of people come to Chapman knowing either Premiere, FCP, or even Vegas. (I know premiere and fcp to the core, but it didn't help too much when it came to applying it to Avid.) If you haven't used Avid before, I'll tell you it is a learning experience.

Hi peacemaker. I also applied for Directing, but was accepted for Editing. I wasn't sure what to do, as I was accepted to other programs that would give me the chance to direct and have a more generalized (instead of specified) education. I flew out to California to check out the schools a few days ago and was blown away by Chapman. I will be attending in the fall, and will try to take extra classes during winter and summer breaks in writing and directing.

if you are accepted into another emphasis but still want to pursue directing, your best bet is to show the school that you can direct and have examples to prove to them. That was what I heard from a 2nd year who came in as an editor and became a director her 2nd year.

When I sent an email to the dept that I have to take decision ASAP (I already reserved a spot in another university paying the deposit but my preference was Chapman next to UCLA), Eva sent an email a week ago confirming my editing spot.

I know 2 people who graduated as Editors but working as a director in commercial ad films. In fact one of them gave me the reco letter. They advised me that learning editing would be an + to become a director. Directing was the one I was dreaming for 10 years and so, now I don't want to change my dream in an overnight.

Congrats are you going to take the spot?

SilverLenz
Originally posted by Maliz:
Peacemaker,

I've read that you applied for direction but Chapman gave you the choice of editing. Were you notified by email? It's just that I got an email asking if I liked to be considered for the MA in Film Studies. I'm a little bit confused.

Eva told me that they are still evaluating the applicant for the Directing slot. (How many days they need to fill the 8 spot?) I haven't got the rejection yet. I think I am still in the race.

As of now, I did not confirm the editing spot. I have 2 weeks time.

@saintelmosfire71 As a recent NYU grad, I'll tell you right now to stay away from private loans. Wait for those federal loans to come in, you'll thank me in the future.

Hi guys, my status changed to decision complete. Not sure what this means, though I'm guessing it means I'm out. Off to check last year's thread!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back