Chapman Fall 2010

I got my application in less than two weeks before the final deadline, and not only am I attending chapman, I've got as big a fellowship as anyone I know of. So don't worry if you miss the priority deadline. Last year, anyway, it didn't seem to matter that much.

Help needed!
Are you guys all submitting DVDs?
I'm having this formatting problem (NTSC/PAL) and worried that my DVD may not be compatible with mac.
Hope I make myself clear...
Did you simply copy the files (.mov, .m2p, or .avi?) into the DVD disc, or did you use software to convert and burn the video clips to make the DVD playable on DVD players?

I recommend using software, but the last thing you need to worry about with chapman is mac compatibility. There isn't a single mac in the entire school (unless you count the hordes of macbooks carried around by students).

Every computer in the film school is a PC, all the editing is on PC's with avid. If you're on a PC and you get your submission to work in your computer and in a DVD player, you're probably all right.

Priority deadline is specified as Feb 01. Does that mean they have to receive all the documents by Jan 31 st ? or it should be ok if they receive by Feb 01?

Originally posted by peacemaker:
Priority deadline is specified as Feb 01. Does that mean they have to receive all the documents by Jan 31 st ? or it should be ok if they receive by Feb 01?

everything has to be postmarked by Feb. 1st.

For those of you who are current students:

How long after you submitted your applications did you hear back from the department?

So I'm somewhat confused...

On the admissions FAQ it says that you may possibly be asked copies of your work and to not send them in with your app...

But on the application it asks for a dvd reel....

Is everyone else sending off their reel with the application?

it depends on which emphasis you are applying for. some emphasis requires a reel to be sent in, (i.e director).
to the thing about the dvd. Use either Adobe Encore, DVD Studio Pro (Apple), Nero burning rom or something. but the make it work for sure is to encode the file into a mpeg2 format (usually breaks the file into a video and audio file [separate])

Thanks notroberttowne and Mike_V for the tips! Lucky we have some current students here. You are very helpful. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In my case it was less than a week from when all the application material was received to when I saw a decision. Now, I applied at the very end of the application window and it took several weeks for all the application material to be in. My mailed in application was received on April 26, and it took another week for all of that material to be entered into the system (webadvisor). There was another week waiting for my last recommendation to show up, and there was a delay due to some financial aid documents... all told, they had my application for about three weeks before it was all "received" and within another week I was in.

I have applied for Cinematography. Now I, like most people, are waiting for that "File Complete, Decision Pending" message to change. Hopefully it will be for the better.

Man, I am trying to finish my short before the priority deadline and I still have to write the paper on the film :s

I don't know if I am going to make it... eek!

notrobert,

You know, I've been busting my ass on this Chapman app, and I'm not even sure it's the right program for me. I'm applying in the Directing concentration, but I also wanna practice my writing. Is there much opportunity for the Directors to write within the program?

Thanks for all your insider help, by the way. You've been great!

there's plenty of chances for a director to write. You should be able to take writing classes as well. Considering chapman has a flat rate tuition program, you can take as many classes you want as long as you can handle it.
also, you can also submit your writing for Location Filmmaking, an interterm course where they take specific scripts and make a movie out of it. you can also drop it off at the script bank for anyone to pick it up and shoot it (with your consent).

There were plenty of nonwriting program students in the writing classes during both the fall and interterm (that's january classes, basically, since the second semester doesn't start until february). I know a lot of directing students who took a short script workshop this month, and there are all the opportunities that Mike V described too.

The directing is a three year program without a huge amount of classes in the summer, so you could theoretically pick up three or four writing classes in interterm and summer each year without adding any extra work to your normal courseload, and come out with ten or more writing classes under your belt (which is almost as many as screenwriting students are required to take).

How's everybody's apps coming?

I've been writing all week! There's so much stuff to do, but I think it's finally coming together. Best of luck to everyone!

And thanks for all the info, Mike and Not Robert!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back