Chapman Fall 2010

Hi peacemaker, I think that is why they don't mention the CV, but only ask for a portfolio list.

If you want to send in your resume, I suggest make it a short list without many detailed descriptions, and focus a bit more on other work experiences. They seek diversity, don't they?
Anyway that's just my 2 cents worth.Good luck.

hey guys. i received a paper application from dodge college and it doesn't say anything about a short or feature film script. however, it does mention it on the website. did anyone else run into this problem?

I am assuming you do if you want to go into the specific discipline. From the website

"Do I have to complete all of the writing assignments?

Yes, we would like to see your abilities at telling a story about yourself, a scene, and your favorite film. If you're a Directing or Screenwriting applicant, we request you also send us an Original Short or Feature Screenplay."

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks apex. i just realized they sent me the 2009 application. i guess they didn't need a screenplay for last year's admissions. great...i need to start writing.

better than that, they didn't say you needed a script for the 2009 application until around this time last year. Apparently it irked a lot of people.

So with the Creative Portfolio List, it asks me to "include items that I could submit, if asked" to Dodge.

Does that mean I should only put down on that Portfolio List items I would feel comfortable submitting to them? I've written dozens of shorts, but I wouldn't want the majority of them to represent me as a writer to the College. Should I put down everything, or only my best work?

Here are two answers:

Official advice would be to only include things you would be comfortable sending in.

Unofficially, there's no one in my class that was asked to submit anything from the creative portfolio other than the script and any reels they included as part of the application. That being said, I would consider maybe including a couple of things that you're not thrilled with if it looks sparse or really short when it's limited to the things you're proud of.

Notro,

Notro,

How important are the writing samples? I've been working on my personal statement like crazy. Should I invest more time into the scene/ favorite film? I'm almost done with the scene. I still need to do the transformational moment and favorite movie.

Thanks,
SilverLenz

I have no idea how each thing is weighted. I wasn't interviewed and I haven't heard any feedback on application material for me or anyone else.

What I do know is that I put fairly little effort into my personal statement and favorite movie essay and had spent half a year on the feature script I sent in. I'm pretty confident that the essays were good, but I think so few applicants to Chapman submit feature scripts that it's a huge step up in the applicant pool.

I understand that at this juncture not many people have the time to try and write a feature, but I think that the writing sample, short or scene or feature, is going to be way more important than the essays.

So I wouldn't labor too intensively over those. Write 'em and polish 'em, but if you're putting a lot of time into one facet, it should be the sample. Of course, if you're putting a lot of time into every facet, even better.

Thanks Notro. I'm actually submitting a short that in progress. I've been working on it for a couple of months. I'm using that for the screenwriting requirement for those applying to screenwriting. Other than that I'm submitting what they ask for.

Thanks again,
SilverLenz

My goal is to submit my packet by priority deadline. What about yourself? Chapman's requires a lot of writing. Anyways good luck.

SilverLenz

Definitely gunning for the priority deadline, but the dramatic scene is really forcing my hand. I'll make it, but it'll mean I'll really have to focus this next week.

I'm also aiming for the priority deadline. And I also found that dramatic scene very challenging. The next week is going to require a lot of hard work. I'm really looking forward to having my Chapman application in.

my dramatic scene was based on something i've noticed. I wrote the scene based on single dialogue. that might help you out if you're stuck. I'm currently a 1st year grad student at chapman

What do you mean based on single dialogue. Did your scene on have one piece of dialogue the whole three pages?

SilverLenz

no no. I meant the whole scene was written based on 1 dialogue. the majority of my script was dialogue, with a little bit of action and description in between. but the main "dramatic moment" is centered on 1 dialogue.

I wanted to go for the priority deadline, but I decided I'd better wait for the regular one and not rush this. I'm working on some scholarship applications as well - between that and working full time I don't really have a lot of creative energy right now...

It does mean that if I do get in somewhere, I'll have to arrange visa and housing at the last minute, but at that point I'll quit my job if necessary!

Good luck everyone.

i hear you MJS11. i was trying to go for priority but i realized it's more important to be proud of what i'm sending in rather than just sending it in to make that deadline.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back