Chapman Fall 2010

asr

Just thought I would start a general board for people applying to Chapman.

Has anyone started the application yet?

Thanks for starting this thread ASR. I've completed the following items:

1. Portfolio List
2. CV/Resume
3. I'm about 80% done with my Transformational moment essay.

I still need to work on my :

1. Description of my favorite film
2. Dramatic scene/sample of scholarly writing.

I'm going to wait until the very end to submit my items even if i finish early. With all these schools add stuff late I want to make sure I don't get disqualified because of something silly like that .

SilverLenz

After finishing USC's yesterday, I'm starting my Chapman app today. What concentrations are you applying for? I'm doing directing, with sound design or editing as a second choice.

Anyone else find the Chapman application to be far more annoying (vague,tedious,pointless) then other schools? I love the program, but the application process just seems silly. And for school with so many specializations, it's very generic.

Still gonna do it, but it's not as much fun as some of the others.

Last year, at least, it was really easy compared to UCLA. Of course, that's assuming you're okay with doing a find/replace and swapping 'ucla' for 'chapman' in your essay.

Does anyone know:

Do we need to supply supplemental material for our secondary choice?

For example, if editing was my first choice, and directing was my second choice, would I still need to submit a reel?

Originally posted by Impossible Protagonist:
Anyone else find the Chapman application to be far more annoying (vague,tedious,pointless) then other schools? I love the program, but the application process just seems silly. And for school with so many specializations, it's very generic.

Still gonna do it, but it's not as much fun as some of the others.

Actually it's not annoying at all. They ask for everything straight up. None of it is mindblowing or tedious. Also, if you read carefully, each discpline will be requested different things later in the application process. For example, directors will be asked for a reel while an editor will simply be asked for a portfolio list.

To ASR: I'm not sure, but you should give the dodge college grad department a call. they'll answer all your questions.

I've just finished USC so now I'm focused on Chapman. I've got my SoP, and portfolio list, but I've still got to write my favorite film description. And I need to decide if I want to use some of the material I've written for other apps for Chapman. I'd rather do all new stuff, but I'm also hoping to finish this feature length screenplay by the deadline so it's a bit of a tight squeeze.

Do you think they look for people submitting pieces that also fit the requirements for another school and deduct points based on that?

I think that would be pretty ridiculous if they did. They must know/understand that people reuse a lot of material for other applications. Maybe the SoP should be slightly more tailored to the school to which you are applying, but that's about all IMHO.

It would be like asking a painter or sculptor to make a new piece for each MFA program they were applying to and I don't a single artist that has done that, they just submit their portfolios--unless something very specific and unique is asked for.

For the most part, USC and NYU's applications were identical and Chapman only asks for a few more pieces of material. So go for it if you have the time/motivation to create all new pieces, but I wouldn't be stressed if you don't.

In the end, they are looking for talent that will beef up the school name. If you have it, they will want you no matter where else you are applying.

Is anyone else applying to Chapman out of undergrad? What are you guys using for your reel?

I have a short film I was going to submit, about 5 minutes in length.

Yes a resume is required. I'm applying to the producing (1st choice) and Screenwriting (Second choice). I've been out of school for almost three years now. The areas I'm applying to dont require reels.

Silverlenz

I don't think a resume is required for Chapman.

You are required to submit a Chapman application (online) and the Dodge school application (paper).

On the Chapman application it has a page of instructions and says:

Resume:
A resume or curriculum vitae is required for the MA MARRIAGE AND FAMILY THERAPY, MS Communication Sciences and Disorders, Ed.S. School Psychology, MA School Counseling, PPS School Counseling, Tier 1 Preliminary Administrative Services Credential, and Ph.D. in Education programs. For Ed.S. School Psychology, M.A. School Counseling, and PPS School Counseling, the resume should include information on experiences working with children and/or families.

I don't see any film program listed there, but I normally include a resume even if not required.

you do not have to submit a resume for film. There is a section in the general application that asked me what jobs i have done and all that, but that is as close to a resume as I have seen.

I sent an email asking if a resume is needed and this was the response.

SilverLenz

--------------------
Thank you for your interest in Dodge College of Film and Media Arts. I would recommend sending a resume along with your application materials/portfolio. It never hurts to have a professional outline of a concise version of all of your accomplishments. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Rebekah Parmer
Graduate Assistant, Dodge College of Film Media

well, i guess if they want it, they want it. I personally didn't send in a resume, but that's about it. What she meant I believe, is that it doesn't hurt to send your resume in, but it's not needed.

I guess the "Creative Portfolio List" is supposed to contain the information and creative works they are looking for.

And do you guys double-space all the writing assignments? They have no specific spacing requirements on the website so I assume 1.5 spacing would not hurt. What are your opinions?

I just prepared my less than 1 page 'Creative portfolio list" where I included the 3 short movies I worked on. In my Resume, I already have mentioned the 3 short movies and the role I played. My Resume and Creative Portfolio list almost looks the same. Can anyone please advise me on how to differentiate these?

Thanks.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back